It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Why NYT Hid The Numbers For The ‘Hottest Year On Record’

Discussion of current news and world events.
  • Author

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

• Thanks Received: 104

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 pm

It galls me every time I see someone talk about the evidence for climate change when I know that the evidence is not there. This article brilliantly illustrates the way the climate change cult spreads it's clueless science with circular reasoning.

There is anything but a scientific consensus regarding climate change. The problem is that the elite have their position and anyone who doesn't toe the line is punished for it. Millennials have never been taught to think for themselves, so they swallow it whole and go crazy when anyone challenges their spoon-fed point of view.

A more sensible view of climate change is that the earth goes through periodic warming and cooling periods, and we are in a warming period right now. Emissions are lower than they were 25 years ago, but the temperature continues to rise, so maybe it's not being caused by humans after all.

Anyway, read the article.

They say that mathematics is the language of science, which is a way of saying that science is quantitative. It is moved forward by numbers and measurements, not just by qualitative observations. “It seems hot out” is not science. Giving a specific temperature, measured by a specific process at a specific time, compared to other systematically gathered measurements—that is science.

So when you read an article proclaiming that, for the third year in a row, last year was the hottest year on record, you might expect that right up front you will get numbers, measurements, and a statistical margin of error. You know, science stuff. Numbers. Quantities. Mathematics.

And you would be wrong.

I just got done combing through a New York Times report titled, “Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year.” The number of relevant numbers in this article is: zero.

We are not told what the average global temperature was, how much higher this is than last year’s record or any previous records, or what the margin of error is supposed to be on those measurements. Instead, we get stuff like this.

Marking another milestone for a changing planet, scientists reported on Wednesday that the Earth reached its highest temperature on record in 2016—trouncing a record set only a year earlier, which beat one set in 2014. It is the first time in the modern era of global warming data that temperatures have blown past the previous record three years in a row.

Note to the New York Times: “trouncing” and “blown past” are phrases appropriate to sports reporting, not science reporting. Except that no sports reporter would dare write an article in which he never bothers to give you the score of the big game.

Yet that’s what passes for “science reporting” on the issue of global warming, where asking for numbers and margins of errors apparently makes you an enemy of science. Instead, it’s all qualitative and comparative descriptions. It’s science without numbers.

It wasn’t just the New York Times. Try finding the relevant numbers ready at hand in the NASA/NOAA press release. You get numbers comparing 2016’s temperature with “the mid-20th century mean” or “the late 19th century.” But there’s nothing comparing it to last year or the year before except qualitative descriptions. So the government’s science bureaucracy is setting the trend, making reporters dig for the relevant numbers rather than presenting them up front.

It’s almost like they’re hiding something. And that is indeed what we find. I finally tracked down an exception to this reporting trend: the UK newspaper The Independent gives us the relevant numbers.

They should have been in the first paragraph, but at least they’re in the third paragraph: “This puts 2016 only nominally ahead of 2015 by just 0.01C—within the 0.1C margin of error—but….” There’s stuff after the “but,” but it’s just somebody’s evaluation. Even this report can’t give us a straight fact and leave it alone.

For the benefit of science reporters and other people who are unfamiliar with the scientific method, let me point out that the margin of error for these measurements is plus or minus one tenth of a degree Celsius. The temperature difference that is supposedly being measured is one one-hundredth of a degree—one tenth the size of the margin of error. To go back to sports reporting, that’s like saying that the football is on the 10-yard line—give or take a hundred yards.

I think you can see why they didn’t lead with these numbers in the first paragraph or the headline, because if they did everyone would stop reading and move on to the next article. “This Year’s Temperatures Statistically Identical to Last Year’s” is not a headline that grabs anybody’s attention.

That’s not the worst part. The worst part is that this isn’t the first year they’ve done this. Two years ago, government agencies and gullible reporters repeated the exact same claims about the hottest year on record, along with some other howlers. What was the margin for that year’s record? Two one-hundredths of a degree, also much smaller than the margin of error.

Lest I be accused of not giving you numbers, global temperatures for 2015 were reported to be higher than 2014 by as much as 0.29 degrees Fahrenheit (0.17 Celsius), though you have to read to the 18th paragraph before the New York Times deigns to tell you this. That’s not as impressive as it may seem, because both 2015 and 2016 were El Nino years, when there is a normal, natural increase in temperatures.

This highlights a bigger problem with the global warming theory. For all the excitement over records set over the past 137 years—precise global thermometer measurements date only to 1880—current temperatures still are not clearly out of the range of normal variation in the 10,000 years or so since the planet bounced back from the last ice age, despite all of the furious attempts to hype them up.

Yet here is Arizona State University “theoretical physicist”—and, of course, media personality—Lawrence M. Krauss taking to Twitter to ask: “When will the evidence of the need to act be enough?” This is above a link to, you guessed it, the number-free New York Times report.

Yes, I really do wonder how anyone could possibly be skeptical of claims about the climate made by science “advocates” and by the media. It’s a total mystery.

thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/nyt-hid-numbers-hottest-year-record/

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

Re: Why NYT Hid The Numbers For The ‘Hottest Year On Record’

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:37 pm

And another sensible view of climate change: it is happening but not in the way we are told. The way it is sold to us is for the masses to cry out for depopulation/eugenics. This is always the first thing that rears its head in a discussion about climate change. Yeah....don't have another kid to use up more resources!
There is data showing that the sun is shrinking (measurements are best taken during an eclipse), meaning less sunlight is reaching the earth thus its actually getting colder. There are also studies that show that evaporation levels have been falling since the 80s because of less sunlight (i think thats when the first study came out). Is that why the Piri Reis map showed an ice free Antarctica centuries ago? I've asked myself. On the other hand, HAARP is making tears in the earth's ozone and intense heat is withering everything. Also, cracks are appearing on the sea floor releasing great amounts of methane and other methods that release methane into the earth's atmosphere turn our planet into a glass house, trapping great amounts of heat. Poor earth, inorder to release the intense heat convulses. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, which have a cooling effect on the planet (think of Krakatoa and Tambora eruptions). This isn't to discount the fact that earthquakes can be induced to achieve other goals. Then there are the sulphide particles in chemtrails meant to deflect sunlight. The elites know the sun is shrinking so said particles have another purpose. Earth has in-built balancing mechanism but that doesn't mean we should go out on a destruction spree.

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 3:03 pm

In 2016, CIA Director John
Brennan gave a speech where
he specifically mentions a type of SRM geoengineering known as stratospheric aerosol injection, or SAI. As Brennan noted, SAI is “a method of seeding the stratosphere with particles that can help reflect the sun’s heat, in much the same way that volcanic eruptions do.” Brennan went on to claim that a SAI geoengineering program could limit global temperature increases, a claim that has been disputed in several studies.

http://activistpost.com/2017/01/us-gove ... earch.html

Right there, Brennan truthfully speaks about earth's ability to 'sort herself out'. And yet, they insist on helping out with methods that hold disastrous consequences for all life. And there is already increased volcanic activity.

Serendipity

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 76

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm

I really find it hard to believe that there are people out there who deny that there is a climate change when there are clear signs of it everywhere. I can come up with sources and peer reviewed studies but I don't think you would change your mind. Just look at the South Pole and the rate at which the ice is melting, it is extremely alarming.

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Hey Serendipity, is that directed at me or Thunderian?
given my previous posts, i will go further and speculate that the Earth's core is 'losing steam or running out of gas'. Very old coffins in Greenland were found penetrated by a thick mass of plant roots which indicates that the soil temperature was above freezing. Why is that area frozen hard now with no flora if it wasn't so in the distant past?
This climate change issue is a pretty heated issue? Why isn't there a consensus? Isn't there enough evidence? This professor just quit over the issue. why are 1percenters on the warming side and not the other? Your evidence is welcome.
http://www.icr.org/article/9809

Artful Revealer

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 427

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Serendipity wrote:I really find it hard to believe that there are people out there who deny that there is a climate change when there are clear signs of it everywhere. I can come up with sources and peer reviewed studies but I don't think you would change your mind. Just look at the South Pole and the rate at which the ice is melting, it is extremely alarming.
Antarctica's ice sheet has been growing for years. Look it up.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world he is God.

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 6:01 pm

A fossilized tropical forest was recently found in Norway. Also, the North Pole was once tropical

http://cbsnews.com/news/study-north-pol ... -tropical/

Rainerann

1 star

• Thanks Received: 103

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 am

What I don't get is how many of them act like they are practically scientists themselves and you are some sort of Neanderthal because you back aknowlede that the subject of climate change is actually a scientific debate. The whole war on science banners drive me nuts. There is no war on science happening right now. Climate change has been in debate for a while within the scientific community for a while now. All the science marches aren't going to score points in favor of climate change. That's not how science works.

Return to News and Current Events