It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Trump Halts Refugee Processing

Discussion of current news and world events.
  • Author

AndrianaStark

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 55

Trump Halts Refugee Processing

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 pm

And so it begins! Trump officially starts to mess with my life firsthand.

Trump campaigned on pledges to tighten U.S. immigration policies, including strengthening border security and stemming the flow of refugees. His call for a border wall was among his most popular proposals with supporters, who often broke out in chants of "build that wall" during rallies.

In response to terrorism concerns, Trump controversially called for halting entry to the U.S. from Muslim countries. He later turned to a focus on "extreme vetting" for those coming from countries with terrorism ties.

It appeared as though the refugee restrictions were still being finalized. The person briefed on the proposals said they included a ban on entry to the U.S. for at least 30 days from countries including Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, though the person cautioned the details could still change.

There is also likely to be an exception for those fleeing religious persecution if their religion is a minority in their country. That exception could cover Christians fleeing Muslim-majority nations.

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-moves-to-build-border-wall-cut-sanctuary-city-funds/ar-AAmcqxz?li=BBnb7Kz

Thoughts?

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

Re: Trump Halts Refugee Processing

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Honestly I'm horrified by this. Between the Mexican wall and the ban on Muslim refugees/immigrants my head is spinning.. we won't even get into all the other shit he's done so far here.

All the reasoning he's given to support these decisions is completely bogus. i can't think of a single instance where a Muslim terrorist was a legally processed refugee or immigrant so even if his reason made sense (it doesn't to me) it wouldn't do anything to stop the terrorist attacks. So why do it other then to create a scapegoat? Very Hitler-ish. Very scary.

And he's threatening liberal sanctuary cities to get in line. So there goes state rights too. Very reminiscent of a couple of very ugly periods of world history that I wouldn't have hoped we had learned from and were never going to repeat.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

AndrianaStark

0 stars

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Definitely Hitler-ish. It is really disgusting. I know so many people who will be affected by this. And it truly disgusts me how Trump wants to make us all pay for the wall and have Mexico reimburse us. Makes NO sense. I REFUSE to pay for something I completely disagree with and do not condone. I am so disgusted. If my husband had his citizenship we would have left already. I think the worst thing about it is the people who feed into it and who agree and support Trump. I live in a red state and the racism and discrimination is so blatant. I have to constantly remind myself that not everyone is like that because right now, that is how it feels.

I honestly do not think this will change anything. It is a shame that conservatives want this. They are missing out on some of the most amazing kind-hearted people. What for safety? Watch slowly as nothing changes. Violence here happens every day and the biggest terrorists are the ones that hold those high positions in the government that these people vote for. It is good that the refugees don't come here. They shouldn't waste their time. I wouldn't wish this on anyone anyways.

Creeper

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

North America and Canada might as well just go all in at this point and just shoot down any incoming planes and boats. They clearly don't want anyone to enter these countries, unless they are Asian with Chinese goods and of course, millionaires and politicians are always welcome.

The wall could also serve the purpose of keeping people in as well....
A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

AndrianaStark

0 stars

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Creeper wrote:The wall could also serve the purpose of keeping people in as well....

Didn't even look at it that way. :wtf:

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 3:13 pm

The US has racked up great debt from illegal wars/foreign policy interventions and since Trump's policy is homeland focused, he will rack up debt aswell. How much will the wall cost anyway?

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Trump says it will cost $12 billion. Engineers have estimated $35 billion
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Serendipity

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 76

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Only yesterday my friend was trying to convince me to move to the US..I should forward this to him haha.

I'd love to see how Trump would make Mexico pay for the wall.

Creeper

1.5 stars

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 pm

I seriously doubt that the wall is ever going to be built, it is only a campaign promise....

Trump is only going to bring more of the same and push exactly the same agenda as every previous administration, it is all a part of "their" plan.

There is nothing new under the sun.
A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostThu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I hope it won't actually be built, but he signed Executive Orders to have it built this week. He did specify that certain terms are subject to discussion and change I believe, so with any luck the plans will fall through or be largely sized down.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria
Next

Return to News and Current Events