It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 3:11 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Donald Trump's first US military raid 'kills 30 civilians'

Discussion of current news and world events.
  • Author

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Donald Trump's first US military raid 'kills 30 civilians'

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Donald Trump's first US military raid 'kills 30 civilians, including 10 women and children'

Link to the article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 53121.html

Link to the Reddit thread I stole this from: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... _kills_30/

The eight-year-old daughter of a radical preacher was among a large group of civilians reportedly killed during a US dawn raid in Yemen, the first military operation overseen by Donald Trump.

Around 30 people, including 10 women and children, are thought to have been killed by American military personnel in the rural Yakla district of al-Bayda in the south of the country, according to medical staff.

Nora Al-Awlaki, the daughter of lecturer and al-Qaeda sympathiser Anwar al-Awlaki who was killed in an airstrike in 2011, was one of those who lost their lives, her grandfather Nasser said.

“Why kill children? This is the new [US] administration - it’s very sad, a big crime,” Nasser Al-Awlaki said. “[Nora] was hit with a bullet in her neck and suffered for two hours.” The Pentagon did not refer to any civilian casualties in its statement.

The US military meanwhile confirmed 14 al-Qaeda fighters had been killed in the raid, and a further two in a drone strike on central Yemen later in the day. An American commando was killed in retaliation, and three others injured.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

Re: Donald Trump's first US military raid 'kills 30 civilian

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 pm

I honestly can't even keep track of who were fighting anymore..

This is a damn shame. And I wonder since the people who are on with this are also extremely pro life regarding domestic issues.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 4:33 am

They may be pro-lifers at home but abroad, life is collateral damage.

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

• Thanks Received: 104

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 4:44 am

I'm a pro-lifer and I think this is awful. Go troll somewhere else, both of you.

Serendipity

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 76

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 am

This has been going long before Trump took charge. I'm still glad that they're getting some coverage now.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Thunderian wrote:I'm a pro-lifer and I think this is awful. Go troll somewhere else, both of you.

Well then their comments don't apply to you...

I really don't get why people take offense to something if what is said isn't referencing them. Either there is some sort of denial at play or maybe PTSD from previous interactions or something.

If Jess had said, "All pro-lifers support this! They should be ashamed of themselves!" then yeah, take offense. But saying that many pro-lifers also support our wars abroad and our indiscriminate drone attacks is not only accurate, but clearly doesn't apply to you if you don't support our wars abroad or our indiscriminate drone attacks.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Never trolled a day in my life. No point. I say what I mean and mean what I say. If that's a problem for you consider it a personal issue.

As Loki sayid (thanks Loki) if it don't apply let it fly.. my comment wasn't directed at you nor did I have you in mind when I made it.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Loki wrote:
Thunderian wrote:I'm a pro-lifer and I think this is awful. Go troll somewhere else, both of you.

Well then their comments don't apply to you...

I really don't get why people take offense to something if what is said isn't referencing them. Either there is some sort of denial at play or maybe PTSD from previous interactions or something.

If Jess had said, "All pro-lifers support this! They should be ashamed of themselves!" then yeah, take offense. But saying that many pro-lifers also support our wars abroad and our indiscriminate drone attacks is not only accurate, but clearly doesn't apply to you if you don't support our wars abroad or our indiscriminate drone attacks.

Both comments are clearly alluding to the meme that anyone who supports taking action against terrorists is a born-again, Bible-banging, pro-gun, anti-abortion, kill-em-all-and-let-God-sort-them-out kind of Christian.

I support taking action against terrorists, but I think the US can do better than this. Ronald Reagan said something to the effect of, if you just throw bombs in the general direction of your enemies and kill innocent people, well then, that makes you a terrorist, too.

Having said all that, there is a brand of media, born and perfected in Palestine, where any action by the US or Israel is reported to have inflicted mass civilian casualties, whether it's the truth or not. There is also a documented history of jihadists surrounding themselves with non-combatants -- usually women and children -- so that any attack on a legitimate bad guy results in innocent death. Israel has a policy of calling off attacks when there are civilians near, but I guess the US hasn't learned that lesson yet.

Either way, civilian deaths are never something I or anyone I know laughs off or dismisses as "collateral damage".

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm

People that I know certainly have and will continue to dismiss civilian casualties in our "war on terror" as collateral damage and not a big deal. "Rather it be them than us" kind of thing. FOX News has dehumanized and desensitized. So while their comments don't apply to you or the people you know, they do apply and they are based in reality. I don't even live that far South and I see/hear it all the time, I can only imagine it gets worse and more brazen the farther South you go.

The bottom line is that it's weird for you to get offended (well, I hope you weren't actually offended, but you were defensive and lashed out at them, so it comes off that way) by their comments if the comments don't apply to you. It feels like when I come home and my dog looks guilty; I haven't even figured out what he did wrong yet but he's already apologizing, or in your case defending yourself when nobody accused you of anything.

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 pm

Loki wrote:People that I know certainly have and will continue to dismiss civilian casualties in our "war on terror" as collateral damage and not a big deal. "Rather it be them than us" kind of thing. FOX News has dehumanized and desensitized. So while their comments don't apply to you or the people you know, they do apply and they are based in reality. I don't even live that far South and I see/hear it all the time, I can only imagine it gets worse and more brazen the farther South you go.

Those people are assholes, then. I don't watch Fox and the southern Christians I know don't dismiss death like that, but I can imagine they exist.

The bottom line is that it's weird for you to get offended (well, I hope you weren't actually offended, but you were defensive and lashed out at them, so it comes off that way) by their comments if the comments don't apply to you. It feels like when I come home and my dog looks guilty; I haven't even figured out what he did wrong yet but he's already apologizing, or in your case defending yourself when nobody accused you of anything.

I guess I was offended at the drive-by aspect of it, which essentially boiled down to, "look at these pro-lifers who don't give a damn about any deaths but Americans". It's not accurate, it IS offensive, but somehow it's made it as a valid argument.

Every life has value, and every child should be safe, and damn those who bring harm to them, whether they are American or Arab.
Last edited by Thunderian on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to News and Current Events