It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:02 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

NY the first state to test the 2nd amendment ban?

Discussion of current news and world events.
  • Author

CrippledKnight

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 645

Re: NY the first state to test the 2nd amendment ban?

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Cheetah wrote:When the guy in my class hears about this, he's going to be so pissed.

Sorry, don't mind if I ask, but care saying why? He lives in NY or his family for that matter?

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 4:12 am

freakin ny.. rikers island now fingerprints all VISITORS. big brother is NY.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Talijana

Forum Dominatrix

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 492

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 am

In terms of biometrics I am fu*cked. Australian prisons take finger-prints and iris scans and I have been to a few. I figure if push comes to shove I might invest in that rare eye surgery they do in some country some where and get a nose job or something....or buy coloured contacts that superficially plays with your iris pattern.

When I worked in the capital city in a state department they took finger prints to let me in to certain parts of the office. I am owned by the Australian government.....

Sigh.

And unlike America your average Australian citizen has never so much as seen a gun. Count yourselves lucky even in NY folks.....You clearly are not as beholden to the nanny state and unquestioning as Australians are.
“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 am

that sounds horrible.. about a year ago upstate ny prisons announced they would start using facial recognition technology on visitors - even small children - that links to the fbi.. they are slowly rolling it out and thankfully i have not been subjected to it yet (i lost my shit when i was first told though, more for my son than for me)

rikers island is a NYC jail.. different administration and rules. i hadnt been there in years and had to go there today.. surprise surprise when they fingerprinted me and kept my photo on file (never did this there before). ive worked in government for the last 7 years so my fingerprints are already on file with the FBI and two states, as well as my photo, so im fucked regardless.. thankfully they did not require my son to do either - prints or pictures - because i would have just left.

iris scans seems excessive. i think i would just stop visiting if it came to that.. im seriously considering it if and when they try to get facial or prints on my son.

nyc is completely locked down when it comes to guns too.. so maybe i should have phrased it NYC is big brother (and australia)?
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Talijana

Forum Dominatrix

3 stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am

Its a mess in Aus. the prisons are amixed of corporate/private and state owned but the private ones do answer to the state on a lot of issues and I know for a fact that information pertaining to visits or outsiders is passed onto the relevant state authority. It is a bit of a double whammy though, a private company ''owns'' my finger-prints and iris scan as data as does the State.

I would have not gone if I knew but I found out too late ie when I was there and I had arranged to interview people....so I just went with it. It was a maximum security prison, however I do know remand centres require iris scans as well now.

Aus is a total big-brother state. We have had a transport card rolled out in the second largest state called a myki, it logs your whereabouts all the time, instead of buying a ticket and throwing it out you have this life long bit of plastic and if you lose it the authorities issue a new one and transfer the ''data''. The largest state in Aus will also be trialling this.

The finger scan at state departments began in the most benign of places. The National Library but it is being rolled out in other state departments.

Our Federal Police are also testing the sewerage and attempting to trace drug use through the sewers. They say they cant trace it back to individual households but that is not what I have heard from certain people about this taskforce.

They tested this method a few years back in our 3rd largest state. It worked, a few academic articles have been written about its legality but other than no mention of it except on sensationalist media one night (TodayTonight) which made it seem like it was impossible. However they have been trialling this in different communities since 2009.

We have only implied rights for which legislation can derogate from if express mention is made in legislation and passed by the majority of two houses.

We have no Bill of Rights and Australians think it is stupid.

Futhermore lately the media has been on a gun control crusade because a few bikie members have killed one another. I say great, its like self-defeating cancer. The media says we should get harsher on gun laws. Gun laws in Aus are EXTREMELY strict. There was a massive gun buy back after Port Arthur the biggest massacre in the world at the time in 1996. And then tight ownership laws were implemented.

You arent so allowed so much as a taser or pepper spray they are classed as weapons.
“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 pm

damn.. well cross australia off my places to live. shame especially since its soo beautiful there.

time we all pitch in and purchase a deserted island somewhere.

Talijana

Forum Dominatrix

3 stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 pm

In some places, in others it is not so beautiful it is a vast country, a mix of highlands and basins, deserts and rain forests....Tasmania is paradise on earth. I am going there when shit hits the fan, I might live in a cave, but oh well.

Its and Island off an island continent.
Previous

Return to News and Current Events