It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

SINUS PAIN! Horrible Allergies! Help!

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

TheFallenAlchemist

The Irate Individual

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 138

SINUS PAIN! Horrible Allergies! Help!

PostSat May 11, 2013 10:09 pm

It seems like very time the weather changes or a storm is coming, I get a horrible pain in my nose that can be debilitating. I was in an accident and broke my nose, so it grew back kind of funny. You don't notice it, but it's not grown back proper. At any rate, my sinuses are even worse because of that.

I don't want to take Allergy medicine (Claritin D exc.), because that apparently either knocks you out or speeds up the heart rate. I have used jalapenos and that sometimes helps. But sometimes it's so bad that I can't even sleep. Can anyone recommend me some herbs or something of that nature that can finally "kill the pain." Thanks!
"Symbols have power, Netley... Power enough to turn even a stomach such as yours... Or to deliver half this planet's population into slavery." - Alan Moore, From Hell

Reviews, interviews, thoughts/theories: http://www.thegrimtower.com/
Band Page: http://www.torii.bandcamp.com/

Aiylish

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 247

Re: SINUS PAIN! Horrible Allergies! Help!

PostSat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm

You need a humidifier, the air is probably very dry, I used to have the same problem but now I have my humidifier running all the time. I had severe nose bleeds because of it.
~I have to assume that a person who believes rubbernecking brings safety has neither a license nor a motor vehicle.~ Vibrating Pickle

fallenstar

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 97

PostSun May 12, 2013 2:04 am

If you only have sinus pain when the pressure changes then I doubt its allergy related and those types of medications probably wont help. But as an aside, if youre having a problem with them making you jittery, its because youre using the D (decongestant) types instead of the regular versions. "D" medications have that effect on people. They shouldnt make you tired though.
My suggestions would be to possibly try using a neti pot because it helps with congestion, which will help in reducing sinus pain. Also drinking caffeine when its bothering you will help a lot.

Cheers

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 215

PostSun May 12, 2013 4:16 am

fallenstar wrote:If you only have sinus pain when the pressure changes then I doubt its allergy related and those types of medications probably wont help. But as an aside, if youre having a problem with them making you jittery, its because youre using the D (decongestant) types instead of the regular versions. "D" medications have that effect on people. They shouldnt make you tired though.
My suggestions would be to possibly try using a neti pot because it helps with congestion, which will help in reducing sinus pain. Also drinking caffeine when its bothering you will help a lot.

I always thought the D stood for dextromethorphan... but that's a decongestant, isn't it? :?:

I hate that stuff... makes my whole body feel a tuning fork that's been hit too hard; same with benadryl, and I get all antsy-

I get the same deal (allergies, etc.) when the weather changes, and it's positively bipolar where I live... always changing-

I use the caffeine, of course, but when it ( allergies, barometer) gives me headaches from the pressure... aspirin-

Aspirin and coffee... analgesic/blood thinner and the caffeine speeds the effectiveness of the aspirin; it's true, and it works-

I've heard people rave about the neti pot, but I just can't.... lol... I suppose if I get in enough pain I would try it-

Aiylish.... I know what you mean; the heater in the car has that effect on me, but it's so humid where I live it's a temporary problem-

But it's miserable... bleh- :thumbdown:
ImageImage HAPPY! ImageImage

fallenstar

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 97

PostSun May 12, 2013 4:46 am

Cheers wrote:I always thought the D stood for dextromethorphan... but that's a decongestant, isn't it? :?:

Yeah...I dont know what it stands for actually. I just put "decongestant" in parentheses because anything with a "D" after the name serves as a decongestant. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant, not a decongestant...so I dont think thats what the "D" stands for. Typically pseudoephedrine is the decongestant used in these products. (You know...the stuff you have to sign for or show ID when you buy it so they can track it in case you're making meth with it!)

I use the caffeine, of course, but when it ( allergies, barometer) gives me headaches from the pressure... aspirin-Aspirin and coffee... analgesic/blood thinner and the caffeine speeds the effectiveness of the aspirin; it's true, and it works-

You should try Excedrin then. Its acetaminophen + aspirin + caffeine. Works like a charm.

I've heard people rave about the neti pot, but I just can't.... lol... I suppose if I get in enough pain I would try it-

Its not that bad...trust me. I think it actually feels pretty good. You just have to use saline packets with it when you do it otherwise it can burn a little. Its really not that big of a deal though.

MistyMountain

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 53

PostThu May 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I used to get terrible pressure change headaches - they're fairly common around where I live. I've known people who have had to leave the city because them, and I almost did so myself as I didn't want to be at the mercy of the frequent pressure changes. These headaches can be cripplingly painful, making it hard to function without painkillers, which I'd personally prefer to avoid wherever possible. And nature's best painkiller isn't always practical when you are required to perform certain duties. :mrgreen:

Luckily, I cured my headaches by using a neti pot, which has been mentioned (I lol'd at your little image there, Cheers!). Here's a helpful site with some instructions and tips: Jala Neti

I don't bother with the saline packets - I just use a little pinch of sea salt added to pre-boiled water from the kettle (1/4 tsp of sea salt to 8oz of water is about right.) I let it sit until the water's luke warmish, body temperature-ish, and then go for it. It does take some getting used to, but with time it gets easier. I mentioned on the old boards that when I first started using mine I had a moment of panic, like I was going to drown! I reminded myself that I was perfectly able to still breathe through my mouth, lol.

Anyway, I used it consistently for a few weeks when I realised that I hadn't had a headache that entire time. But then when I stopped for a few weeks (got super busy, plus I have issues with routine and discipline - :? ) the headaches came back. So I started using the neti again and my symptoms lessened almost right away. I rarely get headaches at all anymore and whenever I feel one coming on I use my neti and it's gone!

I now recommend the neti pot to anyone who suffers from these migraines. A few things to remember: keep your pot clean to avoid bacterial growth, and don't use tap water straight out of the tap as it will burn. If you start to notice water in your ears or dripping out of your nose throughout the day, then you aren't getting the angle of the head right and you may need to tilt a little more so the water can flow out more completely. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Oh! One more thing - I am a lifelong allergy sufferer - mega-allergies - and even my allergies (which I now fairly successfully treat homeopathically) seem to have lessened since I started "neti-potting". It's worth a shot!

TheFallenAlchemist

The Irate Individual

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 138

PostFri May 17, 2013 8:40 pm

My nose is broken, so the Neti-pot that we have doesn't work. The shit goes right down my throat and I'll assure you that it doesn't have a pleasant taste. So aspirin (I use Ibuprofen) and caffeine. Well, if the pain gets bad then I guess I'll just take a pill. Thought there might be some herbal wonder-cure, but I guess it's up to man's medicines once again.
"Symbols have power, Netley... Power enough to turn even a stomach such as yours... Or to deliver half this planet's population into slavery." - Alan Moore, From Hell

Reviews, interviews, thoughts/theories: http://www.thegrimtower.com/
Band Page: http://www.torii.bandcamp.com/

Cheers

3 stars

PostFri May 17, 2013 9:37 pm

TheFallenAlchemist wrote:My nose is broken, so the Neti-pot that we have doesn't work. The shit goes right down my throat and I'll assure you that it doesn't have a pleasant taste.

Maybe ...
MistyMountain wrote:... you aren't getting the angle of the head right and you may need to tilt a little more so the water can flow out more completely. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

TheFallenAlchemist wrote:So aspirin (I use Ibuprofen) and caffeine. Well, if the pain gets bad then I guess I'll just take a pill. Thought there might be some herbal wonder-cure, but I guess it's up to man's medicines once again.

Noo... aspirin; it does occur naturally (lookitup... (acetyl)* salicylic acid), and it is a blood thinner-

If it bothers your stomach, eat a piece of bread, first- ;)

And caffeine is naturally occurring, as well-

Caffeine is found in varying quantities in the seeds, leaves, and fruit of some plants, where it acts as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants, as well as enhancing the reward memory of pollinators.

It is most commonly consumed by humans in infusions extracted from the seed of the coffee plant and the leaves of the tea bush, as well as from various foods and drinks containing products derived from the kola nut.

Other sources include yerba maté, guarana berries, guayusa, and the yaupon holly.

* ASA ... :ugeek:

In 1853, scientist Charles Fredric Gerhardt was the first to prepare ASA by the addition of an acetyl chemical to natural salicylic acid, however this form was said to be unstable. In 1897, Felix Hoffmann (a young chemist working for Bayer) independently made ASA in a more chemically pure, stable and more palatable form.

Cheers

3 stars

PostFri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

fallenstar wrote:
Cheers wrote:I always thought the D stood for dextromethorphan... but that's a decongestant, isn't it? :?:

Yeah...I dont know what it stands for actually. I just put "decongestant" in parentheses because anything with a "D" after the name serves as a decongestant. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant, not a decongestant...so I dont think thats what the "D" stands for. Typically pseudoephedrine is the decongestant used in these products. (You know...the stuff you have to sign for or show ID when you buy it so they can track it in case you're making meth with it!)

I use the caffeine, of course, but when it ( allergies, barometer) gives me headaches from the pressure... aspirin-Aspirin and coffee... analgesic/blood thinner and the caffeine speeds the effectiveness of the aspirin; it's true, and it works-

You should try Excedrin then. Its acetaminophen + aspirin + caffeine. Works like a charm.

Its not that bad...trust me. I think it actually feels pretty good. You just have to use saline packets with it when you do it otherwise it can burn a little. Its really not that big of a deal though.

Thanks, fallenstar-

I try to steer clear of acetaminophen, but on occasion, it might do the trick-

Worth a try- :thumbup:

MistyMountain

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 53

PostMon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm

TheFallenAlchemist wrote:My nose is broken, so the Neti-pot that we have doesn't work. The shit goes right down my throat and I'll assure you that it doesn't have a pleasant taste. So aspirin (I use Ibuprofen) and caffeine. Well, if the pain gets bad then I guess I'll just take a pill. Thought there might be some herbal wonder-cure, but I guess it's up to man's medicines once again.

If the salt water is going down your throat then you haven't got the angle of your head right, as Cheers pointed out above. The water shouldn't even get anywhere near your throat (relatively speaking, of course!) The idea is that the solution goes in one nostril, quickly through your nasal passages, and right out the other nostril. The water going anywhere else - ear, throat - means the angle of the head isn't right.

You want to bend forward from the waist until your upper body is at an almost 90 degree angle. Then you want to make sure your head is basically parallel to the bottom of the sink. Carefully keeping your head parallel to the sink, you turn your face to one side. Your head will want to tilt up when you do this, so keep checking to ensure that your head is still horizontal. When the water is flowing through your nasal passages, if you feel it going anywhere it shouldn't, tilt your forehead down a little and your face a little bit further to the side.

I broke my nose when I was a kid and an MRI I had many years ago showed that I have extra chambers in my nasal passages that shouldn't be there! So it took me a while to get the hang of the neti-pot, definitely. But I eventually did, and it was well worth it. I'm not trying to be a neti-pusher, lol, you do what you feel you must, of course, I just hate to see someone suffering and resorting to pain-killers when there might be a natural and easy solution.

Good luck to you!
Next

Return to Health and Nature