It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

How far would you go to lose weight?

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

fallenstar

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 97

How far would you go to lose weight?

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Would you get a patch sewn into your tongue for a month rendering you incapable of eating?
Beverly Hills, California plastic surgeon Dr. Nikolas Chugay has developed a plastic "miracle patch," which is sewn onto the tongue and makes it very difficult to eat.

After the tongue patch surgery, eating solid food is so painful that the patient must follow a liquid diet of 800 calories a day.

According to Dr. Chugay's website, the diet "fulfills nutritional needs" and "maximizes weight loss results."

The unusual procedure, which has yet to be approved by the FDA, can supposedly help people lose up to thirty pounds a month.

Some people have trouble sleeping and moving their tongue after the patch is sewn in, reports Time magazine.

The patch can only be worn for one month because the tongue's tissue grows back, and the patch could become part of the tongue, if not removed.

The patch is made from marlex, a plastic that is normally used to repair hernias.

The procedure costs $2,000 at Dr. Chugay's clinic, where 60 women have had it done since 2009.

The procedure is even more popular in Venezuela, where it only costs $150 and women flock to get patched.

Source
Who in their right mind would do that? Is it really that hard to exercise and eat right that you would go to this sort of extreme just to lose weight? And $2000? Please. I think I could have someone punch me in the jaw and get my jaw wired shut resulting in an all liquid diet for much less than two grand. Have we seriously become so lazy that we'll put ourselves through torture like this just to avoid physical exercise and restraint when eating?

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 487

Re: How far would you go to lose weight?

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Um... I would rather pack a few extra pounds than do this. LOL Wow. No thanks... I like my tongue how it is.
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only LOVE can do that!~ Martin Luther King Jr

Aiylish

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 247

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 7:53 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous and absurd ideas I have seen yet! Are people really that lazy? Even if the diet is successful and you don't continue in making the effort to eat right and exercise daily, they will gain the weight back anyways! And a liquid diet? Ugh yeah who wants to have the runs, not only that but you are not getting the proper fiber in your diet that is needed to make the digestive system run properly. Lol it will be a big kick in the ass after these people waste money, going through such an annoying process to gain it all back afterwards. There is no easy way out when it comes to losing weight and maintaining it.
I don't think many will be able to go through it, to have the will power, self control and restraint in only drinking liquids and eating nothing else. Lots of people today have a hard enough time sticking to the diets they're already on. :roll:
~I have to assume that a person who believes rubbernecking brings safety has neither a license nor a motor vehicle.~ Vibrating Pickle

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 8:08 pm

I know people who have gone on an all liquid diet aaaaand the results were nasty. Most of the weight they lost was water weight anyway and not fat. Liquid diets are quite dangerous imo because the body will try to replenish its water from the muscles as well. If people are willing to let someone surgically attach something to their tongues to lose a few pounds, they seriously need to reevaluate what they are doing with their life. LOL
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only LOVE can do that!~ Martin Luther King Jr

Aiylish

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 247

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Onyx wrote:I know people who have gone on an all liquid diet aaaaand the results were nasty. Most of the weight they lost was water weight anyway and not fat. Liquid diets are quite dangerous imo because the body will try to replenish its water from the muscles as well. If people are willing to let someone surgically attach something to their tongues to lose a few pounds, they seriously need to reevaluate what they are doing with their life. LOL

Mhm same here, that's is also correct, the first thing that comes off is the water, it's also a possibility if the body is not getting the proper nutrients that it will go into fat storing mode and not burn the fat cells but rather take from the muscles. In order to be successful at losing weight one must take into consideration all the important factors that go along with it, not getting any sleep plays a big role in defeating losing weight by a diet. Because the body, when deprived of proper rest causes your hunger hormone ''Ghrelin'' to kick in. Then you have to deal with not drinking anything with sugar in it because it will cause an insulin spike and that causes the body to store fat as well. I know for me when i do not get enough sleep I get stressed out and full of anxiety and that causes your stress hormones Cortisol levels to go up and that is like biggest thing that defeats any diet and even exercise. Too many factors that play a big role in losing weight. The liquid diet is just a money making scheme if you ask me. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: And those that I listed are only a ''few'' menaces in successfully trying to lose weight. :crazy:
~I have to assume that a person who believes rubbernecking brings safety has neither a license nor a motor vehicle.~ Vibrating Pickle

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Indeed.. I totally agree

fallenstar

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 97

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 12:59 am

Here's a fun picture for anybody too lazy to just exercise that might be interested in getting this procedure done:
I cant imagine it's easy to talk with that, even after the swelling goes down. And goodbye sex life! :wave: lol

vervex

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 am

Let's put aside exercising for a minute. Although it helps, it is not the only way to lose weight. The real question is, why would someone pay to injure themselves through surgery instead of simply eating healthily? Besides developing long-term habits, it is completely cost-free. If the aim of the tongue patch is to force a person to switch to a liquid diet, anyone could do it any time without having to pay extra. The only thing this tells me is that the women who go through this procedure have no self control, and they rather enjoy the company of pain and misery than to train their mind. A bit masochistic too, perhaps?

Rain Man

Neshamah

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 pm

...there seems to be some misguided info here about liquid diets. A juice diet isn't a bad thing at all. It helps cleanse the body of toxins naturally. And it's true you don't get a lot of fiber if you juice all of your fruits and veggies, but you can rotate juice with smoothies, problem solved. It doesn't give you "the runs" lol in fact if you stay on it for an extended amount of time it is quiet the opposite :D haha

I would not go as far as harming my tongue in order to lose weight though....THAT is crazy. But having the willpower to juice fast on one's own....nothing wrong with that.

But hell, people have done a lot crazier in order to lose weight (like - homemade liposuction done in garage :o )

Talijana

Forum Dominatrix

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 492

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 2:14 am

But a detox to give your intestines time to heal wasnt initially a weight loss thing. It is good I agree to go liquid every few months, stuff gets stuck up there and when you eat food that needs to be processed they do get over-worked, but people capitalised on the weight loss thing when some negligible amount of weight was lost. If it is done properly you dont lose weight at all, you give an over-worked part of your body reprieve.
“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake
Next

Return to Health and Nature