It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Menstrual Cramps!! [Men: BEWARE]

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 46

Menstrual Cramps!! [Men: BEWARE]

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

Yesterday morning, if my sickness [sneezing, coughing, sore throat] couldn't get worse..Aunt Flo decided to come for a 3-day visit..and on her first day here, she gave me RIDICULOUS cramps..It felt like little ninjas inside of me were trying to kill me :( I was doing all types of body movements, while trying to go back to sleep... This was me this morning:

And when I sneeze:

I truly believe my uterus is ready to come out.. HELP?
How do you deal with HORRIBLE cramps??
[and don't tell me birth control, cause I ain't doing it!!]

☽ LunaRay ☾

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 15

Re: Menstrual Cramps!! [Men: BEWARE]

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Nurofen for period pain. Works a treat. :mrgreen:

Or if you don't want to take anything for it, hot water bottle or bath.

Also found a nice lengthy article of Yahoo Answers that seems like decent advice.

Prevention is far better than treatment, in the case of menstrual cramps contrary to popular belief it is not something women have to suffer, most women can easily prevent menstrual cramps with some knowledge and slight lifestyle changes.

If your cramps are this bad however I would advise seeing another doctor, bare in mind most GP's are clueless about female sexual health, they have to know about a lot of different health problems and don't have much time on their hands so learning everything about female sexual anatomy and keeping up with research and alternatives cures is not an option.
Thus why it is vitally important to learn about such things yourself, if there is a medical problem then your doctor can assist with this – things such as endometriosis or cysts – many doctors will try to put you onto hormonal birth control, which is far from a positive thing, but it makes their jobs easier, don't let them have an easy time doctors are there to help you.

As for prevention and cures, all natural, here are some ideas to take into consideration;

DIET:

-Avoid salty foods and alcohol, these can increase bloating by retaining water, and so make you feel generally sluggish as well as making the cramping worse.

-Drink lots of water, this can aid in avoiding bloating. This will also help with headaches or migraines brought on by menstruation. Also adding lemon juice, a natural diuretic can decrease bloating.

-Eat your greens, and a healthy diet can make you feel a lot better at the best of times, but during menstruation it can be a good pick up and help avoid that sluggish feeling.

-Avoid foods like dairy and caffeine, generally these can cause problems for people, during menstruation this can be particularly true, many find these increase period pains.

-Avoid soy as soy products are notorious for affecting women's hormones.

-Reduce food intake before your period, this will help prevent bloating and so in turn help reduce cramps and general nasty feelings around your period.

SUPPLIMENTS:

-Cell salts, balance the mineral in the body and help the body's utilization of the
mineral from concentrations in the blood and minerals from food and supplements.

-Take more calcium, magnesium, and potassium, all of these are needed by your body to help the shedding of the lining of your uterus. Try taking instead of painkillers, or throughout your period, or even your whole menstrual cycle.

-Vitamin B complex, this helps to reduces muscle spasms, so in taking these the spasms your uterus goes through can be significantly decreased.

-Try taking herbal treatments on a daily basis such as evening primrose oil, this is commonly used to help regulate menstrual cycles that will have the knock on effect of reducing or preventing cramps.

HERBAL:

Anti-spasmodic herbal treatments are a good route to go, as are herbs that also have benefits of relaxation and benefits for the digestive system as lessen the bloating you lesser the pain. Herbal teas are best, drunk from the start of your period a few times a day, fresh herbs are always best, and you should make these teas by bringing water to the boil, but putting the herbs in while simmering – boiling can destroy some of the benefits of the herbs. If fresh tea is not an option then health stores, or even supermarkets have herbal teas, and health stores will be able to advise you on what to get, even a simple women's blend would help.

The best herbs to go for are;

-Chamomile
-Valerian
-Yarrow
-Raspberry leaf
-Peppermint
-Clove
-Cinnamon
-Lemon balm
-Black Haw
-Blessed thistle
-Wild marjoram
-Red raspberry
-Wild strawberry
-Blue cohosh - Do not use if you have high or low blood pressure or heart disease. Do not use if you have been advised not to use the pill as blue cohosh is an oestrogenic herb with estrogen-like effects.
-Dong quai - Do not use if you are at high risk of cancer or heart attacks, also do not use if you take aspirin or other blood-thinning agents.

ACTIVITY:

-Gentle exercise is of course an obvious one, yoga is fantastic, it is a nice easy form of exercise that helps you stretch out, it also has added benefits of incorporating relaxation and deep breathing.

-Baths, heat can significantly decrease menstrual cramps, as well as this it has the effect of relaxation, more so if you use essential oils such as lavender.

-Breathing exercises, some people find this a little strange, that breathing is something we do naturally anyway, however we often get out of practice and taking the time to understand how your body moves as you breath and mental exercise can help calm you down.

-Sex, whether by yourself or with a partner can help a lot, during orgasm it is believed that a hormone which causes uterine contractions is released calls Oxytocin, which can help to push out menstrual material. The relaxation and improved circulation to the pelvic area after sex can also ease period pain.

-The acupressure/acupuncture points that should be stimulated for menstrual cramps are: BL24 (Qihaishu), BL25 (Dachangshu), BL30 (Baihuanshu), BL31 (Shangliao), BL32 (Ciliao), BL34 (Xialiao), CV2 (Qugu), CV6 (Qihai), KI5 (Shuiquan), and KI6 (Zhao Hai). If you don't have time to learn this yourself you can go to a professional, if money is an issue perhaps just go once and ask them to show you some methods to ease off the pain.

ESSENTIAL OILS:

-Lavender is an obvious one, in an oil burner, scented candles, in your bath, generally all around you it will help you relax so in turn help ease off cramps. You can also pick up from some health stores small pots of oil that you rub into your temples that are really handy when you are out of the house.

-Clary Sage is very well known to help with cramps, just massage a few drops onto your belly starting a day or two before your period starts and use three times a day after that if cramps persist.

-Pennyroyal in a carrier like almond oil, rub a little into your stomach as described above – whatever you do, do not use a lot, because it can be a very nasty oil to use that will make you bleed, only use a few drops in a carrier oil.

VAGINAL HEALTH:

-Don't use tampons, tampons can increase risk of infection, which can effect menstruation. There are certain brands that should be avoided, such as Tampax, these expand lengthways rather than widthways, and as such they can expand into the delicate cervix increasing pain. There are alternatives that can improve this, I highly recommend menstrual cups.

-Regular check-ups, for smear tests, swabs and pelvic exams should be done on a regular basis to insure your vagina is in good health.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 459AAWLaWr

Hope this helps!
I put my soul in what I do. Last night I drew a funny man, with dark eyes and a hanging tongue.

Redwood

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 1

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Taking a vitamin B complex, as mentioned in the above article, helps alot. I would recommend trying this.

Lassiel

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 19

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm

I always had huge pains in this situaion and taking anything never helped, only enhanced the pain to be even greater. I wish I could do what your pictures show, but my pain is so great each month that for the first 2 days I can barely even move a leg to the side, giving birth (without anything, completely natural) felt like a breeze compared to this pain I go through monthly.
I was however advised by 1 medical person to use hot water *like a plastic bottle filled with hot water then held over stomach*, while another medical person was strongly against this. I just learned to live with the pain.

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you, ladies, for your responses!!!!

Why must we have to go through this?

:crazy:

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Just found this:

Fresh Dill
    Fresh dill is packed with calcium and can add flavour to any bland salad or dip.

Sesame Seeds
    Nutritionist Kathy Smart says sesame seeds are packed with calcium and can be easily made into a tasty paste.

Parsley
    Parsley is not only high in minerals and vitamin C, but when used in a tea, it can be a great way to help your body relax from aching.

Celery
    Smart says eating celery can also help fight fluid retention during your time of the month.

Salmon
    A plate of salmon is high in Omega-3 and helps fight inflammation.

Sacha Inchi Seeds
    Smart says sacha inchi seeds, a plant found in the Amazon, is rich in Omega-3.

Dark Chocolate
    If you're craving chocolate, make sure it's over 70 per cent cocoa. This bittersweet treat will help you relax your muscles.

Water
    We all know fluids are essential when your body is cramping or bloating. Smart recommends drinking two to three litres of water during your period.

Tea
    Tea is an easy way to replace your caffeine craving. Smart recommends green tea to soothe cramps. now, even though green tea contains caffeine, try decaffeinated green tea instead — but be aware, you may lose some health benefits with a decaf version, according to diet and fitness expert Dr. Melina Jampolis.

Hummus
    Chickpeas are not only full of nutrients but eating hummus during your period can result in a good night's sleep and uplift your mood.

Avoid: Dairy
    Avoid getting calcium from dairy products, Smart says. Milks and cheeses can actually trigger cramps.

Avoid: Caffeine
    Caffeine is another no-no. Drinking lots of coffee or pop during your period can increase higher levels of tension and anxiety.

Avoid: Too Much Sugar
    Excessive sugary foods, even when you're not menstruating, can also trigger cramps Smart says.

Avoid: Alcohol
    Smart says anything that can damage your liver should be off the list.

Avoid: Red Meat
    Red meat, Smart says, is also know to cause stomach upsets and cramps

☽ LunaRay ☾

0 stars

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Cheetah wrote:Thank you, ladies, for your responses!!!!

Why must we have to go through this?

:crazy:

You're welcome. :) Aye, I know exactly what you mean. I think I'm the only 20 year old that's actually looking forward to menopause.
I put my soul in what I do. Last night I drew a funny man, with dark eyes and a hanging tongue.

ktg

Weird gyrl

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 am

I have to say I'm jelly that you only go 3 days. :problem:
ktg wrote:
Illuminaughty wrote:It's not just a name, it's a lifestyle.

So are condoms... just sayin :twisted:
jashutson13 wrote:pssstttttt.... I don't think you would be needing condoms. I don't think girl on girl action requires one.
Onyx wrote:Illuminaughty is a guy lol

>_<

☽ LunaRay ☾

0 stars

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 am

ktg wrote:I have to say I'm jelly that you only go 3 days. :problem:

This! :clap:

cOsMiC iNtUiTiOn

Snaparazzi

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 6

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 am

The heating pad is my best friend. For the first 2 days I'm basically plugged to the wall :lol: . I alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen when it gets really tough, but I avoid pain killers. It isn't as bad as it used to be though. I used to have to come home from school when I was in high school cuz I would be in so much pain I couldn't stand up. Now, the pain comes in waves but managable and I think it is because I stopped using all the disposable feminine stuff.

No amount of pain killers or herbs helped me back then, none at all, I was just miserable and felt like.... well the images in the op loooool.

There's stuff out there for example "the diva cup" and handmade cloth pads, it won't be as convenient as the disposable stuff. You will deffo have to re-learn the art of being womanly XD. I have learned that anything that is convenient is usually toxic and bad for health, had I known back then what I know now... *sigh*. Anyway, once I switched over, it took half the pain away. Now instead of being pretty much bedridden for a week, it is only 2 days and the rest I can stand and do light things.

Those of you with bad cramps may want to consider switching over :) You will still get the gush when u sneeze, but i promise, it wont be so bad. (that gif had me :lol: :lol: :lol: )

- cOsMiC
Next

Return to Health and Nature