It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Bad hair day

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 15

Bad hair day

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Ever have those days where no matter what hair product(s) you use, your hair just does not cooperate? I think this could be a result of product residue, making my hair limp and lacklustre. I've heard about clarifying shampoos but I don't know, using another hair product is kinda counterintuitive? But anyway I was googling some remedies for this, and it seems vinegar is highly esteemed amongst the hair-care communities online. Does anyone here have any personal experience using a vinegar rinse?

:Smile:

Hex

Divine Self Manifest

Site Founder

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 293

Re: Bad hair day

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Guess everyone's hair on VF is awesome? Lol.

Obviously not an expert in those areas, but I've seen the ladies in the household use some old school remedies. Apple cider vinegar (as you mentioned) was one, and a yogurt/egg mask wash another. I hear castor oil is good as well.
"When I became," said he, "the becoming became.
I have become the becoming.
I am one seeing myself, divided.
I am two and four and eight.
I am the universe in diversity.
I am my transformations.
This is my coming together.
Here are my selves become one."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Hex wrote:Guess everyone's hair on VF is awesome? Lol.

Obviously not an expert in those areas, but I've seen the ladies in the household use some old school remedies. Apple cider vinegar (as you mentioned) was one, and a yogurt/egg mask wash another. I hear castor oil is good as well.

Haha probably!

Have you ever personally tried any sort of hair treatment? I'll have a look into castor oil because I haven't heard of its use before in the hair world. A quick google search tells me its often used as lube, which is quite telling as it might just be acidic enough to close up/flatten the cuticle layer on the hair making it shiny and smooth :think:

Hex

Divine Self Manifest

Site Founder

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 293

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 2:33 pm

I used garlic infused olive oil when I had a ridiculous case of dandruff. Doesn't sound pleasant, but it did the trick (Garlic being a potent anti-septic/fungal). Not tried any of the sort of treatments you would be interested in though (I leave it quite short now).

Have you considered vitamin deficiency? While external products do to a large degree 'damage' hair (I try to avoid anything with unpronounceable chemicals really, and especially SLS) diet also plays a role in the vitality of hair. Requirements of protein, and Vitamin K & A come to mind for you.
"When I became," said he, "the becoming became.
I have become the becoming.
I am one seeing myself, divided.
I am two and four and eight.
I am the universe in diversity.
I am my transformations.
This is my coming together.
Here are my selves become one."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 4:05 pm

That actually sounds quite cool, I love simple home remedies. Apparently vinegar works to inhibit dandruff too! I did try the vinegar rinse and it made my hair quite smooth, shiny and it felt very refreshed. I think the issue was the product build up/residue, I used a lot of keratin infused products and then noticed that they suddenly stopped working as well as when I initially used them. I like to think the vinegar broke the residue down, also didn't mind smelling like a chippy for a half hour!

I'm still on the hunt though for stuff that thoroughly leaves hair clean and residue free

ean

Professional lurker

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostSun Nov 30, 2014 1:04 pm

I have tried a few different natural ways to treat my hair. The basics are that you wash with something basic - like eggyolk or eggyolk and baking soda and then rins with something acid - like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. The acid seals the hair.
I personally love Aleppo soap as a wash and diluted lemon juice as a rinse, but I have understood that it takes some time to find out what your hair likes.
There is also JP Liggett's shampoo soap. Aleppo soap are those big grey/green chunks you probably can find in health food stores in US. You can also find them in Mediterranean shops for a fraction of the price.
Just remember that it takes quite a while before all silicone and SLS and other nasty stuff are finally washed out. I was a bit dishearted the first weeks, but just didn't want to go back to all the chemicals.

I have also used a mix of Moroccan rhasul clay and diluted it with water and rose water. I added 1-2 drops of olive oil and it worked beautifully too.
Now I only need to wash my hair once or twice a week now.

About chemicals; I even stay clear of citric acid after a friend told me that when she cut out ALL citric acid (it's all over the place - virtually in EVERYTHING) she could quit both her asthma meds and her life long treatment with vitamin B-injections!

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

PostSun Nov 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Thank you Ean

So if you use both the baking soda and then vinegar it won't amount to a kids science project in your hair right? Rhasul clay I've never heard of but I think it might be worth checking out :grin:
Aleppo soap sounds interesting, I think my dad used to use something similar- he rarely uses shampoo but then again he doesn't have much hair either so it's pointless asking him for advice on hair.

But you're right though it must take a while to totally eradicate the junk, ah well I'll give those a try!

ean

Professional lurker

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 10:07 am

Taipy13 wrote:Thank you Ean

So if you use both the baking soda and then vinegar it won't amount to a kids science project in your hair right? :grin:

Haha, no risk egg yolk and Baking soda first. Rinse, then vinegar and leave in the hair :thumbup:
But I wash my clothes (sometimes) with baking soda and vinegar and I just LOVE to watch the machine going with all the froth/bubbles :clap: Kinda childish but I don't care :)
Just a word of warning about the rhasul clay - your bathroom will look like there's a farmer living in your house. Clay staines all over the bathroom.... Also when you stop using shampoo, you need to do the cleaning part mechanically with your hands as you have excluded the cleaning chemicals in the shampoo.

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 pm

ean wrote:
Taipy13 wrote:Thank you Ean

So if you use both the baking soda and then vinegar it won't amount to a kids science project in your hair right? :grin:

Haha, no risk egg yolk and Baking soda first. Rinse, then vinegar and leave in the hair :thumbup:
But I wash my clothes (sometimes) with baking soda and vinegar and I just LOVE to watch the machine going with all the froth/bubbles :clap: Kinda childish but I don't care :)
Just a word of warning about the rhasul clay - your bathroom will look like there's a farmer living in your house. Clay staines all over the bathroom.... Also when you stop using shampoo, you need to do the cleaning part mechanically with your hands as you have excluded the cleaning chemicals in the shampoo.

hahaha good to know! Believe me Ean, I also have a lot of that childish wonder within me :Tongue: and thank you, really appreciate the tips

organicsfs

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 1

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:10 am

Once in a while I use Apple cider + water (always rinse with cold water!)… Great for cleansing buildup. But I don’t like the smell. What I like using regularly is unrefined coconut oil… it’s organic, chemical free and guaranteed to make your hair smooth and shiny. Simply apply and rub it into your hair and scalp (using your fingers) at least 30 minutes before showering. For best result leave it to soak overnight.
Have you tried aloe vera? They’re great for hair too! :smile:
Next

Return to Health and Nature