It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

My Dog's Face is Swollen

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

My Dog's Face is Swollen

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Last night I noticed that my dog's (he's a pit/lab mix, about 6 years old) face looked a bit scruffy and swollen around the eyes, but he'd been sleeping for about an hour or two on my bed before hand so I thought it was just like scrunched up sleepy-face. When I woke up this morning and was eating breakfast I looked at his face and his lips, eyes (mostly the right one) and even the top of his head seems swollen.

It's a longshot, but have any of you had symptoms like this in your dogs before? Any idea what it could be? I thought maybe an allergic reaction but he only goes out in our backyard and hasn't been fed anything different from what he has eaten before. I didn't see any snake bites anywhere on him (I'm guessing that it would be around the source of the swelling) and I don't live in an area known for poisonous snakes really. Best bet would be a copperhead though.

I won't see if the swelling has gone down until I get home this afternoon, but if it hasn't I'll likely take him to the vet. But if any of you have any experience or ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Oh, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort even when I rub and press on the swollen areas of his face.

Thanks!
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

B.Moshay

Revolutionary

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 403

Re: My Dog's Face is Swollen

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I haven't had this happen to my dog before but apart from being bitten by something it could also be from dental problem.

Hope he's ok!
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks
http://instagram.com/bonafide_reality

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm

That's what my co-worker suggested. I didn't have a lot of time to look this morning, but I pressed on my mouth a lot to see if there were any sensitive spots and he didn't seem to have any pain. He's always had rather good teeth, but I'll double check more thoroughly when I get home. Thanks B!

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Primal

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 4

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

This happend to my dog, also. It sounds the same, he was swollen up like a softball around his eye. We took him to the vet and it was a snake bite. I'm not saying that is what it is in your situation but it sounds simular.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostThu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Not entirely sure what it was that caused it, but it seems it was an allergic reaction. I gave him some benadryl last night and this morning it looked a lot better and I gave him a bit more and now he is pretty much back to normal. Just wish I knew what caused it so i could prevent it in the future.

Return to Health and Nature