It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

10 Health Benefits Of Chocolate

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 46

10 Health Benefits Of Chocolate

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 am

Chocolate Decreases Stroke Risk
A 2011 Swedish study found that women who ate more than 45 grams of chocolate a week had a 20 percent lower risk of stroke than women who treated themselves to fewer than 9 grams of the sweet stuff.

Chocolate Boosts Heart Health
Regular chocolate eaters welcome a host of benefits for their hearts, including lower blood pressure, lower "bad" LDL cholesterol and a lower risk of heart disease.
One of the reasons dark chocolate is especially heart-healthy is its inflammation-fighting properties, which reduce cardiovascular risk.

Chocolate Fills You Up
Because it's rich in fiber, dark chocolate can actually help keep you full, so you'll eat less, Dr. David Katz, founding director of Yale University's Prevention Research Center and HuffPost blogger told The Huffington Post. Regular chocolate eaters might do themselves a favor by treating themselves to a bite instead of snacking on "11 other things first" he said.
Dark chocolate does the trick much better than milk, according to a small study from the University of Copenhagen, and may even reduce cravings for sweet, salty and fatty foods.

Chocolate May Fight Diabetes
A small Italian study from 2005 found that regularly eating chocolate increases insulin sensitivity, thereby reducing risk for diabetes.

Chocolate Protects Your Skin
Forget what you've heard about chocolate causing breakouts: Dark chocolate is actually good for your skin. The type of antioxidants called flavonoids found in dark chocolate offer some protection from UV damage from the sun. And no, that does not mean you can skip the sunscreen!

Chocolate Can Quiet Coughs
Can't stop coughing? An ingredient in chocolate called theobromine seems to reduce activity of the vagus nerve, the part of the brain that triggers hard-to-shake coughs.
In late 2010, the BBC reported that scientists were investigating creating a drug containing theobromine to preplace cough syrups containing codeine, which can have risky side effects.

Chocolate Boosts Your Mood
There's no denying that indulging your sweet tooth every once in a while feels great. Enjoying food is part of enjoying life, points out HuffPost Healthy Living's wellness editor, Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald.

Chocolate eaters also report feeling less stressed.

Chocolate Improves Blood Flow
Cocoa has anti-clotting, blood-thinning properties that work in a similar way to aspirin, Dr. Fitzgerald writes, which can improve blood flow and circulation.

Chocolate Improves Vision
Because of chocolate's ability to improve blood flow, in particular to the brain, researchers at the University of Reading hypothesized in a small 2011 study that chocolate may also increase blood flow to the retina, thereby giving vision a boost.

Chocolate May Make You Smarter
That boost of blood flow to the brain created by cocoa's flavanols seems to make people feel more awake and alert, and, in a small British study, perform better on counting tasks.

So.. you know what this means?
EAT ALL THE CHAWCLIT!!!!

B.Moshay

Revolutionary

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 403

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Chocolate

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm

CHAWWWWWWWCLIT LOL!

Yes, I've read that chocolate is indeed good for you, in moderation of course.

The higher the percentage of cacao the better!! Mmm love me some dark chocolate. It's def a mood booster!
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks
http://instagram.com/bonafide_reality

Prizmatik

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 5

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I knew chocolate had some of those health benefits but I didnt know some either. *racks up*

Cheers

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 215

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 pm

*unwraps hazelnut chocolate*

It's fabulous, really... I think dark chocolate may be even better for you-

Either way...

Chocolate Boosts Your Mood
There's no denying that indulging your sweet tooth every once in a while feels great. Enjoying food is part of enjoying life, points out HuffPost Healthy Living's wellness editor, Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald.

Chocolate eaters also report feeling less stressed.

Chocolate May Make You Smarter
That boost of blood flow to the brain created by cocoa's flavanols seems to make people feel more awake and alert, and, in a small British study, perform better on counting tasks.

Yay, chocolate- ;)
ImageImage HAPPY! ImageImage

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 487

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Chocolate is my best friend but it didn't prevent my stroke. Maybe I wasn't eating enough? :( It gave me some nice thighs tho. Wud-up
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only LOVE can do that!~ Martin Luther King Jr

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

I wish chocolate prevented cavities. :(

B.Moshay

Revolutionary

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 403

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 am

It's important to note that you won't receive the full benefits from chocolate if its not at least 60% or more pure cacao. After eating a good quality dark chocolate I am hard pressed to even go for milk chocolate (which used to be my fav).
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks
http://instagram.com/bonafide_reality

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 3:24 am

I tried eating dark chocolate, but the bitter taste kills me

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 487

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 am

I love dark chocolate but I'm a sucker for milk chocolate. My weakness
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only LOVE can do that!~ Martin Luther King Jr

Cheetah

MissRose

1.5 stars

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 4:30 am

I know this is a coincidence .. but I've always loved white chocolate!
Next

Return to Health and Nature