It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Best music for feeling spiritually uplifted and happy?

Philosophical and metaphysical/spiritual discussions non specific to religion.
  • Author

Astral

Creeper

2 stars

• Location: about 3/4 away from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy
  • Thanks Received: 123

Best music for feeling spiritually uplifted and happy?

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 4:06 am

Hello all,

So I have an Ipod that I listen to every time I commute to and from my jobs (I have to take public transportation now that my car is dead). Anyway, I have a lot of rock songs on there, some pop stuff, a few classical pieces that I enjoy, and some old school love songs (Temptations, Marvin Gaye, etc).

However, I've noticed that listening to my Ipod doesn't really help me relax, and it certainly doesn't help me feel better after a stressful day dealing with my family, the commute, and work.

So does anyone here have any suggestions for music that just makes you feel good? Music that makes you feel content, happy, uplifted, makes you NOT want to scream at your sister in a blind rage?
"There are among the people murderers who have never committed murder, thieves who have never stolen and liars who have spoken nothing but the truth."

"And God said, Love your enemy, & I obeyed Him & loved myself."

--Khalil Gibran

Astral

Creeper

2 stars

• Location: about 3/4 away from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy
  • Thanks Received: 123

Re: Best music for feeling spiritually uplifted and happy?

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 4:07 am

I would especially like to here suggestions from the more "spiritual-minded" folks here; Hex, Zsymon, to name a few, although there are a lot of great posters on the spirituality forum that I enjoy.
"There are among the people murderers who have never committed murder, thieves who have never stolen and liars who have spoken nothing but the truth."

"And God said, Love your enemy, & I obeyed Him & loved myself."

--Khalil Gibran

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 176

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 am

I don't know if I'm as "spiritually qualified" as those you mentioned, but here goes...

Dead Can Dance - spiritual bliss, their entire catalog is great. Here's a live set of theirs to get a taste. Toward Within is probably my favorite album.
phpBB [video]

Psst. Here's a free download of thier recent Coachella set: https://mega.co.nz/#!WlhgQShI!ddq3IW...RU7WV7kCs6t9yw

Thievery Corporation - they give off a smooth and sexy, world-music vibe. Again, all their stuff is great, but I'd start off with the Cosmic Game album.
phpBB [video]

Bonobo - British dj/producer, but you'd never guess it. Try Dial M for Monkey.
phpBB [video]

Spritiualized - The name says it all, right? Down tempo psychedelic rock-ish, I guess. Album: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space.
phpBB [video]

Shpongle - Super trippy, see: drugs. However, they're all about the next level. Album: Nothing Lasts
phpBB [video]

Sigur Ros - One word: Epic. I guess I'd call them ambient, very dream like. They're Icelandic, and they actually made up their own language to use in some songs, but they're awesome. Album: ()
Fun fact: Luna Wabbit's tattoo is from this video :thumbup:
phpBB [video]

Massive Attack - an all time favorite. Atmospheric, very textured, and layered songs. Genre - trip hop. Album: Mezzanine. Or 100th Window, or Heligoland.
(I could listen to this shit all day...)
phpBB [video]

Flying Lotus - hip hoppy beats, but much more organic. Album: Los Angeles
This one's for you ;)
phpBB [video]

I'll stop there for the spiritual stuff.

Feel good/happy.

The Pimps of Joytime - Fire Away
phpBB [video]

Radiohead another all time favorite. Liking this band usually comes down to whether or not you enjoy the lead singer. If you can get past it initially, his lyrics, and they're song writing really is in a league of their own. They've been called the modern day Beatles. Every album is uniquely different, but Kid A and OK Computer are the classics. I think you'd like these guys a lot.
phpBB [video]

LCD Soundsytem - fun, happy, awesome. LCD Soundsystem
"Everybody keeps on talking about it, nobody's getting it done."
phpBB [video]

Beck - always a good time. Very eclectic catalog, but Odelay is still his best work.
phpBB [video]

The Chemical Brothers - Another favorite (like the rest of my list, lol). British pioneers, impeccable catalog. Push the Button is probably their best album.
"Oh my god what have I done? All I wanted was a little fun." I think you'll like this video.
phpBB [video]

Simian Mobile Disco - these guys put a smile on my face. Their new stuff is pure awesome techno, but I think you'd enjoy Attack Decay Sustain Release.
phpBB [video]

Tame Impala - my new favorite band. Psychedelic, groovy, far out, awesomeness. Two albums, both great. Their a throwback, they make me feel like one of the indigo children.
So many songs to choose from, LISTEN TO THESE GUYS.
phpBB [video]

Gary Clark Jr. - Bluesy rock, any Chi-town native would appreciate. Bright Lights
A live dose of jamming.
phpBB [video]

Underworld Another electronic pioneer, been doing it since 1980. You really just can't fuck with them. Dubnobasswithmyheadman is my personal favorite.
This song is a worthwhile commitment.
phpBB [video]

Daft Punk I couldn't make a feel good list without the most hyped dj's ever, right? After a long hiatus, they just released a single (new album next month), that will undoubtedly be unavoidable all summer long. The truth is their albums are boring, and repetitive, but that's because they make their songs with the intent of remixing them live later on. Both of their live albums Alive '97, and Alive '07 are flawless. To this day the most insane, craziest, wild, party I've ever been to. Don't ever pass up a chance to see them live.
phpBB [video]

If you have a computer that you download on, I can hook you up with pretty much anything you want. :thumbup:

I can't talk Middle Eastern religion/politics with you, which kind of bums me out. But if you ever want to talk music, I can get incredibly nerdy/uber-geeky with you <3 :ugeek:
Last edited by Illuminaughty on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

MistyMountain

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 53

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 am

^^ Wowie ~ Great suggestions! :clap:

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 176

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 am

MistyMountain wrote:^^ Wowie ~ Great suggestions! :clap:

:oops: Anything for Ms. Astral.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 873

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Not sure what sort of spirituality you're looking for, if it's more like Hex, Zsymon type stuff, then I dunno. But I like India.Arie. I'm not really religious at all, and she is a professed Christian, but something about her music just lifts me up and makes me feel good. It doesn't bother me really that she talks about God's love and such even though I don't subscribe to her beliefs. I just look at it as a general reference to God/Creator. This is also made possible by her more spiritual take on Christianity as opposed to a scriptural take.

So just look up some of her songs on YouTube, type in India.Arie. I can't go there on my company computer.

Here are some favorites:

I Am Not My Hair
Private Party
Better People
Good Man
This Too Shall Pass
Ghetto
Video
Always in My Head

Okay I could go on and on, there isn't a song I've heard from her I didn't find amazing really. But yeah whenever I'm having a rough time I just put her on, or maybe Regina Spektor or Jack Johnson and they take all my cares away.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Sarge

Heterodox Innovator

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 98

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Trance anyone?

Arty & Mat Zo- Rebound (original mix)
tyDi- Is it Cold
tyDi- Cold Winds
Tritonal ft Cristina Soto- Lifted (original mix)

There are plenty more.
However if trance doesn't do it for you then i'd recommend A Perfect Circle.

The lead singer Maynard has an amazing voice.

Look up Brena, 3 Libras, Noose, Magdalena.

I'm listening to Blindside-Pitiful atm and have been for the last couple of days. It's rock but i love the meaning behind the lyrics (It's about Jesus).

LunaRabbit

1 star

• Thanks Received: 47

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Nihilistic, but certainly makes you think.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

LunaRabbit

1 star

• Thanks Received: 47

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Sarge, Blindside was my favorite band in high school. :p

"Pitiful" has a pretty amazing music video. Far from relaxing music, but you're right. The lyrics are powerful. "Silence" "About a Burning Fire" and "The Great Despression" were amazing cds!

Zsymon

Lover of Cats

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 397

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 pm

I listen to five types of music that uplift me and help raise my vibrational energy:

- Enya.. I have some cds and I also ripped a bunch of songs from youtube. This I listen to the most.
- Native American songs, such as Yeha Noha, Ananau, Land of Promise. I filtered out ten songs I love.
- Native pan pipes, such as from Peru, I filtered out like ten songs here as well that I really like.
- Classical music, especially Mozart and Bach.
- Soothing non electronic meditation music.

My energy can't stand pop music, hip hop, rock music or any other popular stuff. It grinds on my nerves.

They did an experiment where they made an unborn baby in the womb listen to two types of music, hip hop
and Mozart. As soon as they turned on the hip hop, the baby started pulling its face into a grimace and its
heart beat went up alarmingly. When they put up Mozart, the baby's face became completely relaxed and its
heart beat went lower than it would normally be, the baby relaxed completely and seemed to love the music.

So for pregnant moms out there, when you're out in the city with its horrible noise, just tape a headphone to
your belly with Mozart, and your baby won't get stressed out, and be much healthier in the end. Just make
sure the sound isn't too loud, the water in the womb reverberates the sounds very effectively. I reckon you
can do the same when the baby is kicking all the time being restless when you're trying to sleep or rest.
What I share are simply my personal views, I consider them subjective and never absolute.
Next

Return to Philosophy and Metaphysics