It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Hell

Philosophical and metaphysical/spiritual discussions non specific to religion.
  • Author

Creeper

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 162

Re: Hell

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 4:15 am

Hell is other people....

I thought I would take the time to do more than a one-liner. What I think the actual hell is, is being cut off from God. If you foresake Him in this life, He will foresake you in the next. It is a punishment, but I think the shame of being such a total and complete (insert curse word here) will burn more than the fire itself. We really are our own worst enemies and we wrong ourselves more than anything else.

Some will be completely consumed by the flames and oblivionised, others will eventually be forgiven and purified by the flames, a few will burn forever as an example to the rest of creation and for their own (and God's) amusement. But God knows best, it is always pretty much pure speculation and personal interpretation when living creatures like us talk about the afterlife. Hell isn't actually a thing until after the Day of Judgement if you pay attention to what you are reading in the scriptures, so only God truly knows what it is going to be like at this point in time.

I don't know what the hell was being talked about at the start of this thread, but I can't help but wonder if they have any of that stuff left because clearly it was pretty hardcore...
A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool

Taragaia

Awake

1 star

• Thanks Received: 115

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 6:05 am

Speaking of one liners, I can do better than that if that's what you're referring to.

I believe God/Or the Creator to be the impersonal force that drives all life, which we come from and will return to eventually. All of us.

However to return to IT we must be purified through the living of countless lives, and the learning of endless lessons. The universe is incredibly diverse, and hell realms do exist. Those of us who do the worst in this life will enter those hell realms, in which they can stay for an earthly measure of thousands of years to eternity, depending on if they will get to a state of remorse.

I said hell is a state of mind because hatred, fear, sadism and anger are all states of mind that lead you there in this life and the next. It is a way of attracting pain and darkness, and as long as you make others suffer you will suffer the consequences.

That doesn't mean that everyone who's ever done something bad goes to hell, we are all imperfect and can also be reborn or experience on earth again or experience our karma in the form of illness, bad luck or other things in this life so we can go purified on to the next. If we try to live a good life and are conscious of our actions, we might even be reborn in a higher realm than earth.

Those who are in hell will eventually get out of it, and in the end we will all return to a state of bliss (Nirvana). But as the Buddha said, as long as a single soul suffers it will not be so.
The only way out is in

Creeper

0.5 stars

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 am

I didn't mean to imply that your one liner was bad in any way. I thought the descriptions that fit in one sentence were brilliant, I thanked you and the other poster who made them, because I agree with their sentiments completely.

Existence is suffering.

Being born again and again, living countless lives on earth, actually sounds worse than hell to me....

I once imagined what reincarnation would be like. The soul is liberated from the flesh and upon realising this, it flies as far away from the earth as it possibly can, into the infinite and towards the light. When it reaches the edge of the universe, it is suddenly siezed from behind by an unseen force and dragged backwards. This makes the soul scream out in terror and as the soul is dragged back down to earth, it's screams become a new born baby's cries....

I will know for sure when I get there. I'm sure I will see it. The question is whether it is going to be a pit or a giant roaring creature bound by chains with an insatiable hunger for souls.

Taragaia

Awake

1 star

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Creeper wrote:I didn't mean to imply that your one liner was bad in any way. I thought the descriptions that fit in one sentence were brilliant, I thanked you and the other poster who made them, because I agree with their sentiments completely.

Existence is suffering.

Being born again and again, living countless lives on earth, actually sounds worse than hell to me....

I once imagined what reincarnation would be like. The soul is liberated from the flesh and upon realising this, it flies as far away from the earth as it possibly can, into the infinite and towards the light. When it reaches the edge of the universe, it is suddenly siezed from behind by an unseen force and dragged backwards. This makes the soul scream out in terror and as the soul is dragged back down to earth, it's screams become a new born baby's cries....

I will know for sure when I get there. I'm sure I will see it. The question is whether it is going to be a pit or a giant roaring creature bound by chains with an insatiable hunger for souls.

I didn't notice that you thanked, me sorry :grin:

I am not really paying attention to whether my posts get liked. But thanks for letting me know :Smile:

But from what I know about you, you already suffer. So you could say that this state of earthly incarnation is a hell realm to you, because your state of mind is a hell state. Sorry if I generalize, but that is what I perceive from your posts. So considering that, it might be that this hell state is purifying you and you will actually end up in a better place after this life.

Earth, from a Buddhist point of view is a balance between the hell and heaven realms. Most who are here will return to lower (hell) realms because they did not overcome their lower desires like greed, hatred, anger etc and harmed others with that on purpose.

But those who are aware of their actions and strive to better themselves can incarnate in a better position on earth, or even a higher (heavenly) realm.

No one incarnates in earth forever, the idea is that as souls we shift through all dimensions for eternity. It's just an upward spiral starting in the lowest hell realms and eventually reaching up to the eternal state of bliss or Nirvana. Which other religions call paradise or eternal unity with God.
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1 star

• Thanks Received: 121

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Creeper wrote:
What I think the actual hell is, is being cut off from God. If you foresake Him in this life, It is a punishment.......

I agree with you on this. The ultimate punishment is banishment from God's presence, not hellfire. God hates the estrangement and we do too but some of us are hell bent on the road to perdition. So desperate to exist independently of God and it can only mean one thing: death. Since no one is self-existent except God.

Creeper wrote:
Being born again and again,
living countless lives on earth, actually sounds worse than hell to me....

This aint for me. If it was a choice between that and one life lived for many centuries, i would choose the latter. Iam happy with 'me'. Wouldn't want to return as something/someone else.

KoncreteMind

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 46

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:13 am

I've gone back and forth on my belief in hell over time. I personally agree with Creeper, that earth is hell. But that the "hell" it will be is not here yet if that makes sense.

I do remember this guy who I went to high school with got alcohol poisoning and died for a bit before being resuscitated. He said ( so dont take my word for it, just sharing) that he asked for a certain entity to take his soul because he felt like he was dying and he immediately went to a place of fire where he heard people screaming in agony. He said he felt like he was starting to not exist if that makes sense before being taken back to his body. After all this time (this happened shortly after I graduated high school) I dont know if I believe this part of the story but when he came out of the hospital he was completely different. Very spiritual, to the point where I questioned if he was an angel or the devil/possessed. This is a more of a "you had to be there" type of story so Im not telling this for people to believe, just sharing an experience that had a weird, but big impact on my outlook on life.

Taragaia

Awake

1 star

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 am

Sad to see there are so many people here who perceive earth as hell. Even through all my struggles, I love life here. There is so much gold among the dust.

I hope you all will find the blessing of inner peace soon.
The only way out is in

Creeper

0.5 stars

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Earth is definitely closer to being hell than heaven...

It looks nice and it isn't all bad, all the time, it has its good moments but that is about all it has going for it. There are elements of both heaven and hell here (and in all the creatures that live here) but it is not balanced and it pales in comparison to the real deal. Even if everyone acted in the most morally upright way, with love, empathy, compassion and sympathy towards all other forms of life, there would still be death, pain and suffering in abundance.

This life is only the entertainment of delusion.

KoncreteMind

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 46

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Creeper wrote:Even if everyone acted in the most morally upright way, with love, empathy, compassion and sympathy towards all other forms of life, there would still be death, pain and suffering in abundance.

This life is only the entertainment of delusion.

Woah Creeper, I was with you up until this lol

Why do you feel this way?

Karlysymon

1 star

• Thanks Received: 121

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Koncrete, that is a cute little story and personally iam skeptical of those kinds of 'trips' because:
1) the bible is very clear about the state of the dead. Neither is ascended to heaven nor descended to hell.

Iam not a doctor but it has been said that at the time one is pronounced clinically dead, one's brain cells remain active for up to 8hrs. And that if hypothermic conditions are induced so that the cells have much longer 'battery life', one can 'come back to life'. So in those 8hrs any thing can happen. One can see a thousand angels or 10,000 butterflies.

2)some interesting recent events. Those kinds of journeys, to heaven ofcourse, have been dubbed 'Heaven tourism'. So i guess 'Hell tourism' works too. With countless books making the bestseller list There was a huge heaven tourism scandal that required the recalling of books. It was a year or two ago. Some kid who lied about the whole thing. Why is it, pretty much always, in a near death experience that people get to see hell or heaven. Is it because subconsciously they are worried about their final reward? And televangelists regale the audience with laughable stories such as 'i went to heaven and God showed me my mansion and was given a tin of paint which i tossed up in the air and my mansion was perfectly painted'. Like, really???
Ofcourse people who have NDEs will come away spiritual but for me, legitimate trips to heaven are :personal/literal/physical, as in the entire person-mind, body and soul such as the translation of Enoch, Elijah and Jesus. Or in a vision, like the prophets. They were fully conscious, alive and kicking, not clinically dead. Just my pov...
http://www.challies.com/articles/heaven-tourism
http://christianitytoday.com/gleanings/ ... eaven.html
PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy and Metaphysics