It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Are debates in these places making us all bullies?

Theological and spiritual discussions within the context of a religious framework.
  • Author

Gnostic Bishop

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 114

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 9:30 pm

I plead guilty. I have discarded political correctness.

Oh, I try to mask it but I have become entrenched in my paradigm just as badly as most here.

I just recently, while nicking, answered a question. The answer I gave was on the rude side. A cheap mental shot you might say, instead of on the teaching side.

I was quick to apologise, but this aside, I began to think of bullying as an issue. Even my own! Even when I bother trying to be politically correct.

I see an upswing in the overall bullying in both myself and others. Not necessarily instance in many instances, no argument. But an increase nevertheless.

Teaching our children to communicate well. We are not.

Has that been what you are seeing?

If so, do you have a remedy with minimal censorship?

I happen to like sites that scribble out words and leave other things about the same other than straight personal attacks.

Is that just me or is it because, over time, we tend to not suffer those we consider to be fools too well?

Regards
DL

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Re: Are debates in these places making us all bullies?

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 9:45 pm

You're an enigma man.

I think what it mostly boils down to is that when on the internet it is far easier to disconnect from those we are talking to and stop viewing them as peers whom we should show at least a modicum of respect to. Most people don't speak at each other in the way that they do online. It's easy to forget that the people we are conversing with have feelings, they have bad days and good days, they are human just like you and I. We should all do our best to keep this in mind when we feel ourselves getting hot under the collar.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Gnostic Bishop

2 stars

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:57 pm

All true and that is why I am focusing on the heat making is all suffer fools less than we perhaps should.

When do we ignore this good advice?

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

Lisa

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 9

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 pm

I don't think you've discarded political correctness at all, I think you are a bully when you "debate" people. You aren't very nice to anyone with a different opinion than yours...

And what do your verses have to do with being bullied or bullies?

Gnostic Bishop

2 stars

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Lisa wrote:I don't think you've discarded political correctness at all, I think you are a bully when you "debate" people. You aren't very nice to anyone with a different opinion than yours...

And what do your verses have to do with being bullied or bullies?

I guess that you have not noted how the religious here great the less religious.

Did you not note all the name calling the religious side does?

Have you forgotten that it is that type of Inquisition that had Christians murdering other Christians?

Regards
DL

Lisa

0 stars

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I didn't mention anyone else because I thought we were talking about you and how you aren't kind either when you debate. It's one thing to watch other people being bullies, but you surely don't have to wade into that yourself when you post...is kinda what I was getting at.

I don't know about Christians murdering other Christians, but I do know that catholics murdered Christians...not the same thing at all.

Gnostic Bishop

2 stars

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Lisa wrote:I didn't mention anyone else because I thought we were talking about you and how you aren't kind either when you debate. It's one thing to watch other people being bullies, but you surely don't have to wade into that yourself when you post...is kinda what I was getting at.

I don't know about Christians murdering other Christians, but I do know that catholics murdered Christians...not the same thing at all.

Murder is murder.

Semantics just kills.

I happen to know what is hateful and speak to it as required.

Bullying or tough love that is required when delusional believers are doing the reading?

Regards
DL

Lisa

0 stars

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 5:55 pm

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger...

Gnostic Bishop

2 stars

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Lisa wrote:A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger...

Tell that to Muslims who follow their religion and hate all non-believers and wish them death.

Regards
DL

Creeper

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:08 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Next

Return to Religion