It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Discussion - not Debate ???

Theological and spiritual discussions within the context of a religious framework.
  • Author

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Re: Discussion - not Debate ???

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Lisa wrote:Hi Loki! :)
Is that what Columbus did? He murdered people in the name of Christianity? I never heard that one.

Columbus was not the first European explorer to reach the Americas, having been preceded by the Viking expedition led by Leif Erikson in the 11th century,[4][5] but his voyages led to the first lasting European contact with the Americas, inaugurating a period of European exploration, conquest, and colonization that lasted several centuries. These voyages had, therefore, an enormous impact in the historical development of the modern Western world. He spearheaded the transatlantic slave trade and has been accused by several historians of initiating the genocide of the Hispaniola natives. Columbus himself saw his accomplishments primarily in the light of spreading the Christian religion.

It's kind of surprising that you wouldn't already know this. You're welcome to look into it further yourself if you'd like.

Well, its a tricky thing about those burqa's to know if the woman wants to wear them or if she's being forced to here...but I'd say that some are coerced and some are deceived that wearing that pleases God. Maybe it pleases allah, but I don't know that it pleases God.

Well, Allah and God are one in the same, but that's a moot point I suppose. I'll direct you to Scimi's other thread where there was a decent conversation about headdresses in all Abrahamic faiths, Christianity included. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3537

Besides that though, if someone feels that wearing a hijab, or yarmulke, or any sort of head covering is in line with their beliefs and religion, who are you to tell them otherwise? In that thread I linked we all discussed how the majority of us, if not all of us, don't support head coverings being forced or mandatory, but because they are not actually required by the Quran and it isn't law that you must wear a head covering in the United States, it is safe to assume that any woman (or man) wearing one in America is doing so by choice. There is a slight possibility, I suppose, that their spouse is forcing them to wear it, but that possibility is so unknowable it is hardly worth mentioning.

Also keep in mind that it is probably safer and easier for them to not wear a hijab or other coverings in America, where a lot of the populace has been conditioned to believe such things are the sign of terrorists, thus wearing them in public is opening oneself up to abuse and discrimination.

How do you feel about Amish women and traditional Jewish women wearing head coverings due to their religion/culture?

I can't help but feel that this thread has already taken a course Scimi wasn't hoping for, so feel free to say so Scimi and I'll let it rest.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 582

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm

:(

I've tried to reach you, Lisa. I really have, but I'm starting to realise your walls of opposition are too well fortified with an "us vs them" attitude for me to see any route to success with you.

It's sad to have to write this, but I would appreciate it if you would leave us to it in this thread, as I do not see any hope for common ground with you if you are unwilling to even entertain the notion.

But thank you for participating, it's been... educational.

God bless,

Scimi

I have nothing to do with any recommendations to join any war on any person , race or community. I do not support ISIS nor any other movement, I seek opportunities to unite mankind, I seek to look at common ground and choose to ignore differences. I do not support violence, I condemn it. I have no affiliations with any promoting of violence be it political, racial or religious.

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Religious Freedom: Why now? A friendly discussion between Shaikh Hamza Yusuf Hansen and Robert P George.

A worldwide erosion of religious freedom is causing large-scale human suffering, grave injustice, and significant threats to international peace and security.

Religious freedom is under sustained pressure today around the world. In some places, it is fair to say that religious freedom is under siege. The publication of Religious Freedom: Why Now? is a response to that sobering fact. Although scant attention is paid by governments, the academy, or the media, the implications of this crisis—and we contend that it is a crisis—are quite serious.

phpBB [video]

:Smile:

The book is available for PDF download on Scribd: https://www.scribd.com/document/3198784 ... uman-Right

Scimi

I have nothing to do with any recommendations to join any war on any person , race or community. I do not support ISIS nor any other movement, I seek opportunities to unite mankind, I seek to look at common ground and choose to ignore differences. I do not support violence, I condemn it. I have no affiliations with any promoting of violence be it political, racial or religious.

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Refreshing :)

phpBB [video]

Scimi

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 pm

http://www.christianmuslimforum.org/

The Christian Muslim Forum is built on friendship between a group of Christians and Muslims, showing how faith is a catalyst for good relationships and welcomes the 'other'.

This friendship began with a small group of Muslims and Christians working on the Archbishop of Canterbury's Initiative in Christian-Muslim Relations.

This grew from Archbishop Carey's comments in 1997, "For the sake of the health of this country, we need to find ways in which members of our two communities can meet regularly together in a more structured way than has been possible up to now."

His remarks were received warmly and positively by leaders of the Muslim community, leading to the Initiative's Listening Exercise between 2002 and 2004. This link takes you to the Listening team's report, presented to Archbishop Rowan Williams in July 2004.

The Christian Muslim Forum is made up of members of the Muslim and Christian communities - Sunni, Shi'a, Anglican, Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist and Coptic Orthodox - and includes various traditions, Evangelicals, Deobandis, Barelwis, Sufis.

We believe that:

1) the time is right for Christians and Muslims to develop strong and committed relationships
2) we can work together for the benefit of both faith communities and wider society
3) faith is a resource for peace, conflict resolution, understanding and the valuing of all human beings
4) friendship between people of different faiths is encouraged by our traditions
5) Link with 'Faith & Society'

Delving into our history more recently, we also want to acknowledge our connection to 'Faith & Society':

‘Faith & Society’ was a small group of Christians and Muslims who arranged a unique series of themed get-togethers to engage with key issues between the two groups. This process followed publication and launch of a book called Faith and Power: Christianity and Islam in 'Secular' Britain (still available) by Bishop Lesslie Newbigin, Yale Professor Lamin Sanneh and journalist Jenny Taylor in 1998. The book was announced at a conference of the same name – the first ever to bring these two groups together in UK - at the London Institute of Contemporary Christianity, with speakers including Professor Tariq Modood, and Dr Philip Lewis. Some of those involved in the planning of this event and subsequent discussion groups (which included a conference at the Islamic Foundation in Leicester) were later chosen, due to their expertise, as members of the planning team of the Archbishop’s Initiative in Christian-Muslim Relations. The loose Faith & Society network, in advance of a number of later Christian-Muslim and inter faith organizations, was a prototype of the Christian Muslim Forum, being based on relationships of trust and focusing on key issues. Julian Bond, Director of the Christian Muslim Forum (2006-2014) and previously seconded to the Archbishop’s Initiative, organized the final Faith & Society event at the London Central Mosque in 2003. The remaining funds from Faith & Society were transferred, with the agreement of the account-holder, to the Christian Muslim Forum in March 2006. [updated February 2015]

What we aim to do

1) To weave a web of open, honest and committed personal relationships between leading Christians and Muslims;
2)To encourage shared reflection on the spiritual, ethical and practical values of the two traditions in order to offer resources for citizenship in our society;
3)To build a shared public platform to strengthen Christians and Muslims working together for the common good in partnership with others;
4)To develop channels of communication to help Christians and Muslims together to respond to events which test our relationship.

The Forum needs You!

As an individual, group or organisation, you can be part of the Forum network. You can view our projects under Areas of Work, you can also make a donation.

How we work

Our work is based on partnership working with other relevant groups and organisations; developing and maintaining channels of communication between a diversity of Christian and Muslim groups; and liaising with the media.

Disclaimer

We are in contact with Christians and Muslims from many different organisations and walks of life. Inclusion of groups & individuals (and their contributions) at our events, in our programmes or online does not imply endorsement or validation by the Christian Muslim Forum. Throughout our work, we challenge prejudice, encourage honest conversation and build relationships to promote the common good.

Scimi

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 207

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Watching people converse with Lisa over on the VC forums has had me chuckling. Their frustrations at how hypocritical and contradictory her posts are have absolutely everyone that has spoken to her baffled lol.

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes, I was informed by a member of that forum how Lisa is not exactly representing Christianity in any context but her own ignorant one - which, let's face it, is nothing new.

I did hope some Christians would meet me half way here and I hold onto this hope still :)

Scimi

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Love thy neighbour?

Which one? Christian only? Or does that extend to people of other faith groups if you are a Christian following the advice of Jesus pbuh who quoted one of the Ten Commandments?

Which one?

I'm attempting to facilitate an avenue for Christians to "love me" and have been doing this since I joined vc all those years ago - and it's no secret how I was met with opposition from the Christina camps on the vc's

And I see one truth now, Christians are good at "lip service" but not so good at walking the walk.

In fact - they're pretty bad at it.

Scimi

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Hello Scimi, hope you are well. The last few lines of your post.....pretty blanket statement to make.

If you would be a saint in
heaven you must first be a saint on earth. The traits of character you cherish in life will not be changed by death or by the resurrection. You will come up from the grave with the same disposition you manifested in your home and in society. Jesus does not change the character at His coming. The work of transformation must be done now. Our daily lives are
determining our destiny.
Defects of character must be
repented of and overcome
through the grace of Christ, and a symmetrical character must be formed.
I have no desire to go to heaven if what awaits me is earth 2.0 and iam to face the same crap that we've all had to put up with while sojourning in the here and now. What would be the point when people will merely carry on from where they briefly stopped? Murder, rape, bullying, name calling, decimation of the earth, you name it. It all ends here and has no place the other side of heaven: if that isn't the case, iam not interested.
Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
Psalm 15
Lord, who may dwell in your
sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill? The one whose way of life is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their
heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbour,
and casts no slur on others; who despises a vile person
but honours those who fear the Lord; who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind; who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe
against the innocent. Whoever does these things
will never be shaken

Scimitar

Servant of God

4 stars

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 am

phpBB [video]

:cool:

Scimi

Previous

Return to Religion