It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

What are you watching?

Fun, social and random discussions.
  • Author

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

• Thanks Received: 104

What are you watching?

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:43 am

Who doesn't love watching stuff? So many good documentaries, movies, clips and other stuff online these days, I figure we should have a place where people can come and find something interesting to watch. I started one on the VC board right before it went belly up, so consider this part deux.

I vaguely remember Jonestown happening when I was a kid and have had a sort of fascination with it ever since. This doc is very well done, with lots of contemporary footage and recent interviews.

phpBB [video]

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 863

Re: What are you watching?

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I'll try to find some time to watch that doc on Jonestown, it has always fascinated me too, ever since I was told that Jonestown is what people are referencing when they say "Don't drink the Kool-Aid." It's not quite as fascinating to me as Scientology, so I've read less about it, but the two are sort of in the same vein. I think I'm just fascinated by cults and cult mentality. If you are ever looking for something to listen to, Joe Rogan's talks with Steven Hassan who is a former member of the Unification Church, or Moonies. I'd never heard of the Moonies before that podcast but it was really interesting stuff.

I just remembered his podcast is visual as well, I normally just listen, so here is the episode:

phpBB [video]

I don't really have anything else video-wise to post here. But currently the show I'm watching is The Expanse, which is a surprisingly well-done SyFy show that is available on Amazon Prime currently (only the first season). When my co-worker told me it was a SyFy show I expected shitty production value and hokey CGI but I guess the channel has come a long way because everything looks really great. The acting is on point as well honestly, they got a really solid cast including Thomas Jane and Jared Harris, whom I know mostly from Mad Men as Lane Pryce.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Creeping Jesus

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 0

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Residents evil. But not sure if I like it or not just

Ps loki I messaged u but won't go through

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 267

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

I am quite fascinated by people who have survived extreme circumstances, and as Natascha Kampusch has just written a new book about her past 10 years out of the cellar she was kept in. I am watching a documentary about her time in the cellar to refresh my memory. It is very interesting to hear the perspective on life these people have, I have a deep respect for them.

phpBB [video]

She seems to be a very polite and intelligent strong person, I have always been impressed by her.
The only way out is in

Thunderian

OG for real

1 star

• Thanks Received: 104

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Loki wrote:I think I'm just fascinated by cults and cult mentality.

Me too. I wonder what the attraction is. Thanks for posting the link to Rogan's interview with the ex-Moonie. Can't wait to watch it.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but here's a link to the documentary on Scientology that came out a couple years ago called Going Clear.

http://vebup.com/going-clear-scientology-prison-belief

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 863

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 pm

I never did get around to watching Going Clear. I started watching Leah Remini's show on A&E but then I canceled my DirecTVNOW sub and wasn't able to. I'm sure it's available on their website but I just rarely watch television on my computer. I'm a traditionalist that way.

But, on that note and the previous note of Rogan. Here is Leah talking Scientology with Joe about a month ago. Fun talk, interesting stuff, and the weird sexual energy she is throwing at him the whole time while he deflects it like Batman does bullets is highly entertaining to me.

phpBB [video]
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 271

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 pm

I watched this episode of Empire, hosted by Marwan Bishara on Aljazeera when it first aired about 5years ago. Oliver Stone was the main guest. Its about the symbiotic relationship between Hollywood and the military-industrial-complex. Movies like Top Gun, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty or series like Band of Brothers rely on the military/CIA to 'make it happen'. Apparently, the CIA has a liaison office over in Hollywood (obviously, i guess). Inorder to help directors with expertise and equipment, they have to have considerable leverage over the script. Just wanted to share.....
Unable to put video link though
http://aljazeera.com/programmes/empire/ ... 63793.html

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 am

I'm interested in cults too, currently watching this one:

phpBB [video]
The only way out is in

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 pm

A really short good one that opened my eyes to the lies about global warming etc :Smile:

phpBB [video]
The only way out is in

GilBow

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 1

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Taragaia wrote:I'm interested in cults too, currently watching this one:

phpBB [video]

I like documentaries on various cults from all over the world as well. Haven't seen that one yet so thanks for the recommendation. Do you have anything else similar?

Return to Social Lounge