It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Freedom.

From discussing the nature of the control system to space phenomena, theorize away.
  • Author

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 244

Re: Freedom.

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

@Tara
So true!
“And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be within the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing … a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods.”~
Aldous Huxley, 1959

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 253

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Great quote Karly :Smile:
The only way out is in

Rainerann

1 star

• Thanks Received: 100

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm

After this last election, I find that I have a greater appreciation for freedom. It was pretty intense with all the strong opinions on both sides, but it is nice to see that people are free to do this. We will all be in trouble when someone decides they are so wise they can tell people what they can and cannot say.

I have had growing pains learning that what someone says can't hurt me, but it is nice to realize that just because someone doesn't believe in what I believe in, or says insulting things to me, this doesn't have to affect the way I feel about myself because I am free.

I think we are lucky to have experience freedom to the degree that we are able to understand it as well as we can. I have followed the Libertarian party recently and it has really given me an appreciation for the history of the constitution and the founding of America that gets lost in the debates because people get emotional. It is better for everyone to be free to pursue happiness because there is no way to force people to believe in a set of religious beliefs and there is no way to force people not to practice religion.
That is just an example. The point is freedom, wherever possible, should be the focus of any society within reason. Lately, I have been passionate about the role taxes play in restricting freedom as well. Financial freedom is another example of a freedom everyone should have.
Previous

Return to Theories