It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Did you notice...

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Share it here.
  • Author

meltbanana

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

Did you notice...

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 am

Did you notice that more often by now, some random person is portrayed as being and literally called a hero for doing something that's standard for any halfway sane person ?

I wonder if it's random or if there's also some sick and twisted agenda behind it. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Rainerann

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 9

Re: Did you notice...

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 am

Example please. :)

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 556

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

You mean like a person who helps an old lady cross the street might have been looked at as simply a nice person in the past, these days they would be touted as a hero for doing something rather common sense or mundane in the grander scheme of things?
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

meltbanana

0 stars

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Loki wrote:You mean like a person who helps an old lady cross the street might have been looked at as simply a nice person in the past, these days they would be touted as a hero for doing something rather common sense or mundane in the grander scheme of things?

Exactly. :clap:

meltbanana

0 stars

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Rainerann wrote:Example please. :)

What Loki said. Or any news about any so called hero saving some random animal. And so on.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 556

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm

I personally think it is mostly a reaction to what most perceive to be rather bleak and scary times in the world. Lots of uncertainty, lots of death, lots of war, lots of sadness and the media tends to focus on those things because they attract eyes. When people notice someone doing something good, no matter how innocuous the good deed might be, they want to praise and celebrate that person for being a good person, but they can often get carried away.

The guy that was credited with saving those poor women in Cleveland comes to mind. He did what any normal, decent human would have done in that situation and was touted as a hero afterwards. What he did was great and he did help to save those women, but it wasn't necessarily heroic like a fireman running into a burning building to save a child or a policeman tackling an armed assailant. But it helps to give people some hope for the world and we cling to that.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Karlysymon

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 31

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I was looking at a painting depicting townsfolk in Medieval Europe and my thoughts drifted to how everyone used to be in everyone's business. A grandma living two miles away would more than likely know who your parents were and would discipline you for a mischevous act. Try that now. People were connected to each other but since the industrial revolution, we've been growing disconnected ever since. So the ordinary acts of yester-century are heroic acts of today because they are uncommon. That is why we immediately doubt someone's good intentions when they offer to help especially in a situation that isn't life threatening. Atleast that's how i see this issue anyway.

meltbanana

0 stars

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Imagine walking in the city and saying 'good morning' to some random person. They'd think you're insane or something.

Karlysymon

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 31

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 3:47 am

meltbanana wrote:Imagine walking in the city and saying 'good morning' to some random person. They'd think you're insane or something.

Hahaha, i know! And for the 'recluse', when greeted, one makes their day. It can be the best feeling in the world for them....because someone cared.

Thy Unveiling

Dildo Swaggins

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 16

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:49 am

My mom tried to help an older lady who'd slipped on some ice on her way out of the grocery store. The woman started slapping her away insisting she didn't need any help.

I don't like those "stories" you see where people do a small act of kindness for a homeless person then post a picture of it online. "This is Homeless Katie with her 'Hungry and Homeless' sign. We gave her a sandwich. This is her eating the egg salad sandwich from the gas station." We shouldn't need accolades for doing the right thing; we're not toddlers. Though society seems to be acting more narcissistic and child-like...

I don't remember where I was going with this, if anywhere. Anyway; hooray if you dressed yourself today! Thumbs up if you used the toilet all by yourself! Yay!
"Everything you know is wrong!
Black is white, up is down and short is long
And everything you thought was just so important doesn't matter anymore because the simple fact remains that everything you know is wrong!"
- A genius in 1996
Next

Return to The Miscellaneous