It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Poll: Removing the religion

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Share it here.

Should the religion section be removed

Yes the religion section serves no purpose other than trolling, bickering and endless bantering.
17%
Yes the religion section is a cesspool of nothing, but fighting and arguing. It produces nothing but bully mentality.
No votes
No I want to beat a dead horse to smitherns until I can convince someone that I'm right and convert them.
33%
I don't care
50%

Total votes : 6

• Author

TatilinaBanned

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 15

Poll: Removing the religion

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 am

Should Hex or Loki permanently remove the religion section?
Cast your votes and voice your opinion on why they should or shouldn't.
Chase the beast, or the beast will chase you.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

Re: Poll: Removing the religion

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am

I didn't find my answer in the poll options so I will elaborate.

I think the religious section is fine, but the rule should be that religious discussion is ONLY allowed there and not allowed to take over the other threads on the boards.

On the previous boards we've seen a herd of religious members take over every discussion on the whole boards and turn it into a religious one, I think that should be avoided. I think it's fine if they do it in the religious section, but nowhere else ;)
The only way out is in

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Taragaia wrote:I didn't find my answer in the poll options so I will elaborate.

I think the religious section is fine, but the rule should be that religious discussion is ONLY allowed there and not allowed to take over the other threads on the boards.

On the previous boards we've seen a herd of religious members take over every discussion on the whole boards and turn it into a religious one, I think that should be avoided. I think it's fine if they do it in the religious section, but nowhere else ;)

This is the current situation. This was also the situation at the Vigilant Citizen Forums but since Vig was personally moderating that entire forum a lot of those small rules infractions went unnoticed or undisciplined because he wasn't around enough and didn't encourage reporting such instances enough.

As it stands, if someone is starting religious arguments outside of the religious section just report them and we will either remove or delete it and warn that user accordingly. Ideally you all can get along without moderator interference, of course.

If membership and participation picks up here then we could certainly look into reforming or modifying the forums, but as it stands there are only 3-5 users posting somewhat frequently, and currently I feel like there is no strong religious presence from any side. Pretty much it's just Gnostic Bishop arguing with two or three people.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Loki wrote:As it stands, if someone is starting religious arguments outside of the religious section just report them and we will either remove or delete it and warn that user accordingly. Ideally you all can get along without moderator interference, of course.

Awesome, I think that will majorly improve this place. The whole reason I chose a new name is to avoid the kind of discussions I used to have with the religious herd.

Loki wrote:If membership and participation picks up here then we could certainly look into reforming or modifying the forums, but as it stands there are only 3-5 users posting somewhat frequently, and currently I feel like there is no strong religious presence from any side. Pretty much it's just Gnostic Bishop arguing with two or three people.

Would you like us to invite other previous members here or would you like to keep that up to the mods? I was invited by Hex :wink:
The only way out is in

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Spread the word as much as you'd like! Originally this place was setup to be a haven or meeting place for the outcasts from VC, but then it became more permanent until interest gradually faded (we don't have the Google rankings or advertising power Vig does so not many eyes find us here) and we shut it down. With VC shut down indefinitely we opened back up and it's up to you guys whether this will be a temporary haven or something more permanent based on how many people find this place, post, and interact.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

AndrianaStark

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 55

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't think they should be removed. Even though I don't post much, that does not mean that I am not reading or learning. I like to see people go back and forth challenging each others views. Have at it. I agree that Religion shouldn't be brought up in other topics but I guess others can't help themselves.

TatilinaBanned

0.5 stars

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm surprised, I thought more people would be down for closure of the religous section since the rest of other sections were neglected and ignored. The majority of the focus of the forums were always much higher in thread replies and views. Nothing new was ever discussed and the sections that people tried to make any sort of effort in getting attention for discussion were quicky buried by the relgious section.

Maybe people are more interested in the drama the religious section brings.

I don't want to go back to school today, I'm not ready. :Hmpfh:

TatilinaBanned

0.5 stars

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Maybe remove it from biew active topics then, so it doesn't flood out the attention of other more important threads? I don't know....whatever.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Tatilina wrote:Maybe remove it from biew active topics then, so it doesn't flood out the attention of other more important threads? I don't know....whatever.

This is something we could look at. Again, for now it's hardly an issue because so few people are posting, but I see what you are saying and would personally have no issues doing this as the threads would still show up in "View Your Posts" if you wanted to see which religious threads you are participating in have had responses since you were last on.

Rainerann

1 star

• Thanks Received: 103

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I put no, but I also have no interest in beating a dead horse to smithereens either till I can convert someone. I just like spiritual discussions sometimes. :)
Next

Return to The Miscellaneous