It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:07 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Did you notice...

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Share it here.
  • Author

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Re: Did you notice...

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:My mom tried to help an older lady who'd slipped on some ice on her way out of the grocery store. The woman started slapping her away insisting she didn't need any help.

I don't like those "stories" you see where people do a small act of kindness for a homeless person then post a picture of it online. "This is Homeless Katie with her 'Hungry and Homeless' sign. We gave her a sandwich. This is her eating the egg salad sandwich from the gas station." We shouldn't need accolades for doing the right thing; we're not toddlers. Though society seems to be acting more narcissistic and child-like...

I don't remember where I was going with this, if anywhere. Anyway; hooray if you dressed yourself today! Thumbs up if you used the toilet all by yourself! Yay!

While I'm definitely with you in the sense that I don't think people should be seeking out praise or acknowledgment of their good deeds, the one thing that I could see being a positive about such a thing is that it might encourage a friend or two to also do some sort of good deed. Ideally they wouldn't be doing it for the recognition and praise they receive, but instead for the sake of doing something nice for someone else, but if more people are helping their fellow humans who are in need then all the better, even if their motives aren't always completely pure.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

Re: Did you notice...

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 am

I can see that. I suppose even Bono has helped raise awareness for various causes...
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse
Previous

Return to The Miscellaneous