It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Mandella Effect

Doesn't quite fit anywhere else? Share it here.
  • Author

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

Mandella Effect

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Not sure where to stick this, so if Loki or Hex feel it's belongs elsewhere, please feel free to move this.

Been experiencing A LOT of ME's as of late
Particularly with the Disney VHS's that I own. I don't want to get too into it because it makes me sound like I've gone completely off the deep end. Though I have talked about Cruella's last name with my mom (a skeptic) and even she agrees that something isn't right.

Just wondering if anyone else here has been noticing more ME's, or simply even half-noticing that something suddenly seems Off?
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Tiny Leaf

Topsy Turvy

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 21

Re: Mandella Effect

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 pm

What is the "Mandela Effect" ?

Can you give some examples of your experiences with this?

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 am

You could always Google it and come across a lot more in-depth and eloquent explanations, but it's named after how many people recall hearing/reading Nelson Mandella died while in prison, so when "all of a sudden" this wasn't the case, seeming half the world was in shock. Since then, there's been a lot more things like the Berenstain/stein Bears or "Luke, I am your father" is apparently a misquote, or supposedly Tom Cruise never wore sunglasses in that famous Risky Business scene. Kit Kat "never had a -" in the middle.

The one that's sent me down the ME rabbit hole this week was Cruella De Vil. Notice something wrong with the spelling there? Apparently it's always been De Vil. Yet I swear when I looked at the case idk how long ago, it said DeVille. I had always appreciated the french-inspired subtlety while still being fairly obvious. Yet after seeing a screen shot a friend sent me, I looked at the case again (recalling I'd noticed the spacing had seemed Off a few days prior but was on an organizing kick, so I didn't think too much on it.) Case said De Vil. Anyways, I've already said more than what I wanted to because it sounds insane "my VHS case has been inexplicably altered!" But I swear it really did say DeVille before.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 4:45 am

I am still not sure what you mean TU, it might just be a different label because the dvd was produced in a different country?

Not every country spells Disney character names the same way.

Do you have any other examples?
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:27 am

TU
Nice to 'see' you. I did catch Berenstain/stein thing and i have always seen Cruella De Vil spelt that way. Did you catch the story about some movie called Shaazam? Apparently, the movie was never made but in a thread at Reddit, people claimed to have watched it in the early 90s. Even the actor, 'Sinbad', purported as the lead in said movie came out saying he has never played a genie in Shaazam. The redditors had some vivid recollections of it.

AndrianaStark

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 55

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:The one that's sent me down the ME rabbit hole this week was Cruella De Vil. Notice something wrong with the spelling there? Apparently it's always been De Vil. Yet I swear when I looked at the case idk how long ago, it said DeVille. I had always appreciated the french-inspired subtlety while still being fairly obvious. Yet after seeing a screen shot a friend sent me, I looked at the case again (recalling I'd noticed the spacing had seemed Off a few days prior but was on an organizing kick, so I didn't think too much on it.) Case said De Vil. Anyways, I've already said more than what I wanted to because it sounds insane "my VHS case has been inexplicably altered!" But I swear it really did say DeVille before.

This really messed with my head right now. I swear, ON MY LIFE, that is has been DeVille. My life has been changed.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Karlysymon wrote:TU
Nice to 'see' you. I did catch Berenstain/stein thing and i have always seen Cruella De Vil spelt that way. Did you catch the story about some movie called Shaazam? Apparently, the movie was never made but in a thread at Reddit, people claimed to have watched it in the early 90s. Even the actor, 'Sinbad', purported as the lead in said movie came out saying he has never played a genie in Shaazam. The redditors had some vivid recollections of it.

I can recall an image of Sinbad in a genie's outfit, but this one sounds to me like people mixing the memory or Kazaam (starring Shaq) with memories of the superhero Shazam and throwing Sinbad into the role for some reason (possibly because of the image I referenced and his popularity as a black child's movie star during that time period).

The "Luke, I am your father" one is one that I feel like I remember him saying, but I feel like my memory might have been influenced by so many sitcoms, other TV shows, and movies quoting that quote incorrectly throughout the years. The actual quote is "No, I am your father!" it is in response to Luke saying, "Obi-Wan said that you killed my father!" or something like that. Both iterations would work, but I don't think addressing him by his name would be necessary in the situation. What likely happened is that sitcoms and such parodying or referencing that they would choose to make it clear what they were referencing, hence using Luke's name rather than simply, "No, I am your father."

Those justifications aside, the Mandela Effect is fascinating and the Berenstein Bears one really fucked with me for a while. I still staunchly believe that during my childhood they were called the Berenstein Bears, not the Berenstain Bears like they are now.

This is the first I've heard of the Cruella De Vil thing. I also am pretty positive that it was spelled DeVille back when I originally watched those movies. I don't know why my stupid child brain would imagine the proper spelling of "De Vil" honestly.

It's a very weird phenomena. My favorite explanation of it is that at some point in our lives two multiverses lined up perfectly and details that were different in Multiverse A got changed in Multiverse B. One could assume that Multiverse A's details now reflect B's and they are experiencing the same confusion as we are.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 3:17 am

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I also vividly recall it being Bernstein. Because the authors were Stan and Jan, I felt the E in stein threw the whole thing off. I was a weird kid. (Still am.) I also vividly recall a genie movie, possibly Shazaam, with Sinbad. I liked him when I was a kid and couldn't wait to see it. Kazaam doesn't even sound right, although I guess it makes sense because "Alakazaam!"

Having been a fan of Fringe, I've also shared a similar theory as Loki. (Phone, he is SO not a Lolita! When the hell do I ever talk about Lolitas?) I also believe CERN plays a role in things. Maybe they ripped a hole in the fabric between universes or something like they did on Fringe. I keep hearing young Peter on the show after being brought from "their side" to ours asking "Why is The Red Lantern green?"

AndrianaStark

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 55

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

I have also heard many people telling stories of them remembering a certain Actor or singer has passed but they actually did not. This happened to me. I vividly remember hearing that Macaulay Culkin (boy from Home alone) passed a few years ago. It makes me feel crazy that I can swear on my life I heard that he passed but he is actually still alive to this day. After reading about other people's experiences with the Mandella Effect it turns out that many others have had similar experiences. This stuff really messes with my head.

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Mine too, Adriana!

I remember a lot of deaths door concerns about Mac while he was with Mila Kunis. It wouldn't surprise me if he did die in another time line. He was great in Saved and Drivers, though! I'm glad he appears to be okay. I think Mila was a witch thriving off his energy. She's pretty but has evil in her eyes.
Next

Return to The Miscellaneous