It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Forum Helpers are Here!

The latest forum announcements and official statements from the Vigilant staff.
  • Author

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Forum Helpers are Here!

PostMon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

The VF Team has been working with this idea for a while now and we've finally got the ball rolling. You may have noticed some members now have Blue names. These are our new Forum Helpers. We've recruited 8 in total and will be splitting them up amongst the sections we have here on the forums.

To help everyone be clear on what their responsibilities are, here is the job description:

Forum Helpers are responsible for monitoring their section(s) for unwanted content (spam, elicit content etc) as well as relay suggestions and comments to the Mod team, serving as an intermediary between members and management. They will report issues to the Moderators to have them dealt with. Further, they will do their best to initiate, promote and bring to fruition healthy constructive and stimulating conversations in their designated section(s).

I say "job" description, but of course this is a completely voluntary role. Just like with moderating we are relying on their generosity to lend their time and effort. As you can see, they aren't exactly like moderators, and they won't have any moderator powers. We are just asking them to create and encourage productive and civil conversation, as well as let the Moderators know about spam, scams, or other content that needs to be removed, as well as tagging threads that should maybe be moved. We're putting much more emphasis on creation, civility, and positivity than getting members in trouble. We are hoping this change will not be viewed as some sort of police state, in fact we'd like to give people more room to argue with one another, while still hopefully promoting more thoughtful conversation over bickering. We also feel that it's always good to have more input on any tricky situation, and the Helpers would provide that input whenever necessary.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. This is obviously a new idea that will take some time to work all the kinks out of and get used to, so give it some time.

For now, I'd like to say thank you to our Helpers for agreeing to offer some of their free time to helping in the growth of the forum.

Our Helpers are:

MistyMountain
Justjess
Zsymon
J. Cyrus
Onyx
Sarge
fallenstar
and last, but not least
enkidu2368

Thank you all!
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Cheers

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 215

Re: Forum Helpers are Here!

PostMon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Helpers devoted to a particular section?

...................................................................................................................

Glad we have volunteers that are actually willing to do this... I'm impressed- :D

ImageImage HAPPY! ImageImage

Aiylish

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 247

PostMon May 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Um, ok.
~I have to assume that a person who believes rubbernecking brings safety has neither a license nor a motor vehicle.~ Vibrating Pickle

B.Moshay

Revolutionary

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 403

PostMon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

So someone who does NOTHING but argue is going to be used to promote civil discussion? Lol what a joke.

You have about 100 active posters and 3 admins and 3 moderators and that's not enough authority???

Ok.

Well it's been real guys, I don't think there's nothing else for me to gain from this site. I truly wish everyone well.
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks
http://instagram.com/bonafide_reality

J. Cyrus

Interplanetary Sky-Surfer

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 91

PostMon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

B.Moshay wrote:So someone who does NOTHING but argue is going to be used to promote civil discussion? Lol what a joke.

You have about 100 active posters and 3 admins and 3 moderators and that's not enough authority???

Ok.

Well it's been real guys, I don't think there's nothing else for me to gain from this site. I truly wish everyone well.

I'm honestly not sure who you're referring to as far as the "person who does NOTHING but argue" (I'm not overly familiar with anyone on the "helper" list aside from justjess and Zsymon).. but I hope you change your mind about leaving. I always got a good vibe from you and you made some contributions I appreciated :|

I think sometimes it's easy to be critical of leadership.. but based on my personal experience, I try to temper that. I run a basketball team that plays in a few tournaments a year and I head up a few fantasy sports leagues throughout the year.. and let me tell you.. somebody is ALWAYS upset about something, lol. It's a stinking headache half the time.. I really try hard to make good decisions for the team/league members, cuz I want everyone to have fun and do well.. but it's very stressful trying to balance the good of the whole with the inevitable concerns/complaints of some.

I say all that to say this.. IMO, Hex, Loki and the others really tried hard to do this right.. and I think we should support their decision, as they have not only put forth an honest effort to make good decisions, but they are also the ones that set up the foundation (hosting, funding, moderation, etc.) for us all to keep VF alive.

But yeah.. I hope you stick around! 8-)
“It is the... mass media which makes possible the use of propaganda techniques on a societal scale. The orchestration of press, radio and television to create a continuous, lasting and total environment renders the influence of propaganda virtually unnoticed precisely because it creates a constant environment.”
~ Jacques Ellul

“…YOU at one time walked according to... this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air...”
~ Ephesians 2:2

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostMon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm

B.Moshay wrote:So someone who does NOTHING but argue is going to be used to promote civil discussion? Lol what a joke.

Ok.

I don't actually know who this is about... And the Helpers don't really represent "authority", we've just asked them to help in a more specific way than normal members. Nothing else has changed really. Maybe I'm missing something, or explained something poorly?
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Cheers

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 215

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:17 pm

J. Cyrus wrote:

Ok.

I'm honestly not sure who you're referring to as far as the "person who does NOTHING but argue" (I'm not overly familiar with anyone on the "helper" list aside from justjess and Zsymon).. but I hope you change your mind about leaving. I always got a good vibe from you and you made some contributions I appreciated :|

I think sometimes it's easy to be critical of leadership.. but based on my personal experience, I try to temper that. I run a basketball team that plays in a few tournaments a year and I head up a few fantasy sports leagues throughout the year.. and let me tell you.. somebody is ALWAYS upset about something, lol. It's a stinking headache half the time.. I really try hard to make good decisions for the team/league members, cuz I want everyone to have fun and do well.. but it's very stressful trying to balance the good of the whole with the inevitable concerns/complaints of some.

I say all that to say this.. IMO, Hex, Loki and the others really tried hard to do this right.. and I think we should support their decision, as they have not only put forth an honest effort to make good decisions, but they are also the ones that set up the foundation (hosting, funding, moderation, etc.) for us all to keep VF alive.

^ Apple-polisher- :mrgreen:
ImageImage HAPPY! ImageImage

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 176

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Thank god! I've been waiting all day for something to complain about!!

J. Cyrus

Interplanetary Sky-Surfer

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 91

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Cheers wrote:
J. Cyrus wrote:

Ok.

^ Apple-polisher- :mrgreen:

Hey.. you better RESPECT.. MY.. AUTHORITAH!

“It is the... mass media which makes possible the use of propaganda techniques on a societal scale. The orchestration of press, radio and television to create a continuous, lasting and total environment renders the influence of propaganda virtually unnoticed precisely because it creates a constant environment.”
~ Jacques Ellul

“…YOU at one time walked according to... this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air...”
~ Ephesians 2:2

fallenstar

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 97

PostMon May 13, 2013 10:10 pm

^Uh oh. The (lack of) power has already gone to his head!
Next

Return to Announcements