It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:15 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Future of the Vigilant Forums

The latest forum announcements and official statements from the Vigilant staff.

How do you feel about the Vigilant Forums eventually closing down?

I was expecting this. Thanks for the service the past couple of years.
45%
I will be disappointed, but understand. It's been a good ride while it lasted.
38%
Absolutely ridiculous. Keep it open!
14%
Meh. Not fussed either way.
3%

Total votes : 29

• Author

Hex

Divine Self Manifest

Site Founder

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 293

Future of the Vigilant Forums

PostFri May 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi all,

As many of you may have noticed the activity of the Vigilant Forums has waned significantly as of late. While for the first year or so this was a thriving community built on the foundations of a once great forum, it is now something that is more a shadow of it's former self. There are a number of reasons for this, but it always came down to requiring a steady influx of new members to replace the old seasoned members who may have moved on for whatever reason (usually life in general). This is something that is notoriously difficult for a forum to achieve, especially when you rely on ranking from external search sites such as Google, as opposed to having another parent site to filter traffic through.

I cover this in another thread:

This forum was never designed to be a replacement for the original VC forum. It was initially created as a temporary community area for the regrouping of VC members after the closure of the original forum, however we decided it should keep going. We could probably increase traffic through advertisement, but it's been discussed among the team that it wasn't a particular priority or area to invest in for personal reasons.

That being said, the forum has honestly surpassed original expectations by a long shot. Contrary to popular opinion it is notoriously difficult starting a new forum on the internet. You require a constant flow of members with original content, and the ability to be picked up by various search engines easily. Again, VC had the advantage of his main site (which he himself stated was much more valuable than the forum) for the flow of traffic; we don't have that here unfortunately. I did ask him whether he would be interested in the idea of linking our site externally, though that fell through.

Forum activity has decreased quite a bit as of late, compared to figures previously. You'll find a considerable number of high posting members have stopped, for various reasons, but it's mainly because they've moved on or have other priorities. They were also veterans from the original site. Such is the life of the forum, but the trend can go downward if there isn't a flow of new members to take the helm, so to speak.

Throughout all of this, there was also the issue of myself and Loki's waning interest and commitments elsewhere. I have moved away from the CT arena for the most part and have decided to focus my efforts on self development and my own blog and media channels. In the past year, I have also graduated, relocated and working at a new position that I love. This, and in-between other pursuits, has left me with little time to focus efforts on pushing the forum through certain channels which may have boosted traffic. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is, and I for one am proud of what was accomplished here when taking into account the original goal for the site.

So, the direction of the forum 2 years on was and is uncertain, though I think the catalyst for new direction may have come a few days ago, with the introduction of the new Vigilant Citizen forum. This will be the 3rd Incarnation of the VC forum (Or 4th if you count this as the 3rd), and may provide a new home should it be needed. I had always promised myself that I would not let the hard efforts of members who have posted here go to waste, and I will honour that the best I can by leaving the forums active as long as possible, regardless of activity. The domain is due to expire sometime next year, so rest assured it will not be a sudden closure like VC.

A few relevant threads:

- Statement from VC about the closure of the V2 forums.
- Announcement of the new Vigilant Forums.
- Why was VC so popular.

Anyway, what is the point of this thread you may ask? Well, it's to air some thoughts with you regarding the forum, and to be honest about where we are with this personally, because it's what you deserve. That being, that it's likely we will be looking to shut up shop in the near future. The forum as it stands requires little maintenance, so it's 'fine', but it's not something that is able to flourish, grow and reach it's potential (which may have already peaked actually).

Many joined as a follow up to the VC forums, and to connect with members who were united by a common goal or ideal. This has been achieved to a large extent, and I have made many friends on here that I am in contact with outside of the forum. People connected with each other, and were able to learn and share as a result, so I see the forum has achieved it's purpose in that regard.

So, where are we going from here? Well, it's a dialogue, so we're airing our thoughts about the potential future of the boards, and we want to see hear your responses, bearing in mind the new forum VC has which will likely grow much faster. I know this probably isn't the news some of you were expecting, which is more than understandable, but please do let the above digest and bear in mind what has been discussed. Probably time to pass the torch back to Vig on this one, and I thank you all for your participation over the past couple of years.

Thanks

Management.
"When I became," said he, "the becoming became.
I have become the becoming.
I am one seeing myself, divided.
I am two and four and eight.
I am the universe in diversity.
I am my transformations.
This is my coming together.
Here are my selves become one."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

TonyVanDam

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 70

Re: Future of the Vigilant Forums

PostSat May 30, 2015 12:40 am

Hi Hex. I voted for B.

And I'll go further in saying that I'm more disappointed how quiet VF has been for the last few months. I seems like as soon as all of the controversial members were banned (and actually stay gone without returning with new nicknames), everything was peace. And then, the long time well behaved VCMB/VF members stop posting all together.
Last edited by TonyVanDam on Sat May 30, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarah

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 478

PostSat May 30, 2015 1:30 am

It saddens me and yet I understand and wish everyone well and I want to say thank you Hex for this outlet we have had in which to express ourselves.

Artful Revealer

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 427

PostSat May 30, 2015 10:19 am

Voted a. Once a blossoming community forum, perhaps against all odds, has been withering for quite some time now. It comes as no surprise. Yet alot more would've been lost 2 years ago if it weren't for VF. Hex quickly responded out of the blue with this fortified refugee camp to give us wandering wonderers a place to gather and continue the exchange of our thoughts and opinions. For that Hex, and the excellent management for as long as it lasted, you deserve all the credit.

Now is the time for the Aliyah I suppose. The Vigilants return to their destined home. If need be, I will still be available for whatever moderating duties here, until no longer required.

For those who will make the migration, I'll see you on the other side.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world he is God.

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostSat May 30, 2015 7:35 pm

its been dead for a really long time. no point keeping something going when there is little interest. you guys did a great job and im thankful you gave us a place of refuge when our previous home disappeared out of nowhere but i think it is time to move on.. those who want to can just regroup back at the original VC. <3
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Onyx

Chocolate Fondue

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 487

PostSat May 30, 2015 8:38 pm

I haven't been on here in months but just got an email so I voted A! I knew that it was getting slow even when I was posting regularly. All of the drama and fighting that went on here was one of the driving forces that made me stop posting. Then as it got quiet, I would just come here without even signing in just to look. It's not surprising but it still kind of sucks. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors Hex. Adios Vigilant forums.
Darkness can not drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate can not drive out hate, only LOVE can do that!~ Martin Luther King Jr

Hex

Divine Self Manifest

Site Founder

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 293

PostSat May 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate your understanding in what wasn't the easiest of decisions to make. I was half expecting pitchforks to be honest, but it does seem most are ready to move on. I see quite a few have already made their way over to VCF. Will probably check in one of these days for old times sake.

Not sure yet how long we will keep the forum doors open for. Will discuss that and get back to you all, but there will be plenty of warning prior. In the meantime it would be advisable to exchange details with any members here (via PM) you may wish to stay in touch with. I can probably make a hidden subforum for this as well nearer the time.
"When I became," said he, "the becoming became.
I have become the becoming.
I am one seeing myself, divided.
I am two and four and eight.
I am the universe in diversity.
I am my transformations.
This is my coming together.
Here are my selves become one."

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

TheFallenAlchemist

The Irate Individual

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 138

PostSat May 30, 2015 11:27 pm

As I devote most of my time to www.thegrimtower.com now, I really don't have time for much. There were several conspiracy groups on Facebook, one in particular (The Battleground) where I had some incredibly deep discussions with several different and rather intriguing people. I would up debating so much however, that I completely dropped that group and several of it's members are now in my current friendlist. I still study and such, but these days I've moved more into the otaku and heavy metal culture.

I understand that what must be done, must be done, but I have a feeling that the new VC forums will be full of the old religious debates. :) These days, I don't really care what anyone believes in. To each their own path.
"Symbols have power, Netley... Power enough to turn even a stomach such as yours... Or to deliver half this planet's population into slavery." - Alan Moore, From Hell

Reviews, interviews, thoughts/theories: http://www.thegrimtower.com/
Band Page: http://www.torii.bandcamp.com/

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 15

PostSun May 31, 2015 10:23 pm

This place was pretty rad. Was more of a ghost here than a poster but I found so many great posts from so many great posters. Thanks for everything Hex!

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 176

PostSun May 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the noodz, Hexy, nevar 4get! :Omg: :Oh: :Crazy: :Cool:
Next

Return to Announcements