It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We're Back!

The latest forum announcements and official statements from the Vigilant staff.
  • Author

Creeping Jesus**

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 3

Re: We're Back!

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello how is everyone this evening hope u all ok and had a nice day write back if u fancy a chat from cj

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:06 am

Bit quiet still these boards..
The only way out is in

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Yeah, still a bit quiet but honestly way more active than I thought it would be after our first three weeks of hardly any activity. Things are picking up, so as long as we all make an effort to contribute and interact I think it's solid. An influx of fresh faces wouldn't hurt of course, or even some old ones.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 2:25 am

My apologies for being fairly quiet as of late. You already know the main of what happened, though there's more to it than that. But I'm trying to practice the art of not opening up to anyone anymore ever, and I honestly don't think anyone gives a shit anyways. But anyways, I don't have many people I can talk with about what's going on in the world irl and the world of reddit is weird and slightly intimidating....though interesting to read.
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:My apologies for being fairly quiet as of late. You already know the main of what happened, though there's more to it than that. But I'm trying to practice the art of not opening up to anyone anymore ever, and I honestly don't think anyone gives a shit anyways. But anyways, I don't have many people I can talk with about what's going on in the world irl and the world of reddit is weird and slightly intimidating....though interesting to read.

Reddit can definitely be intimidating. I love it as a resource and a lot of the subreddits can be great little communities like these forums, but their use of the downvote system will often ruin both big and small communities because anything downvoted a certain amount gets pushed to the bottom and even hidden from view so it can quite literally be a case of the majority controlling the narrative. That said, it's great for getting a better idea of what an article you don't have time to read is saying, or acquiring the most important bits of it from the comments.

One of my favorite subreddits is /r/savedyouaclick where people post clickbait titles and the results of clicking them as the title of their post. For example:

20 Most Loyal Dog Breeds. #6 Surprised Us! | St. Bernard (Full List In Post / 21 Clicks Saved)

What happened to Jenna Jameson? We Can't Look Away... The New Look is Mesmerizing. | I have no idea, she's not in the list. 67 clicks saved. Bonus Tia and Tamera though.

The One Word That Can Screw Up an Apology | but

A Child Used To Smoke 40 Cigarettes A Day And This Is How He Looks 8 Years Later | He gave up. Then got addicted to food. Now he's fine. (Saved 3 clicks)

-------------

But the main thing I like Reddit for is the humor. In almost any thread there are at least a few funny fucks that are way more clever than I'll ever be.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the tip on that clickbait one! Some of them pique my interest, but not enough to click through a bunch of pages. Also thanks for explaining why sometimes I can't find something I thought I posted or something I liked earlier. It's freaking annoying! (I wanted to share on /mildlyinteresting the Ghostbusters car that had been parked outside my house one day. The picture was there. But a few hours later it was not.)

Definitely been lurking reddit more than posting. I don't understand the nosleep section, but there are some really good stories there. Mildlyinteresting is what I always wanted Facebook to be more like.

I don't understand the + thing at the top. I thought maybe I added a bookmark to find it later, like the interconnected various series written by Hanong or whatever his name is. But I can't find anything I clicked the + on.

Why isn't there a /redditfornoobs? I would start my own, but quite frankly I don't like posting where people seem to use your noob status against other posters, as if to invalidate them. However, after being on the VC boards and kinda being here, combined with the actual conspiracies of reddit itself, I don't blame them for being suspicious of new people.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Here is a list of tips for using Reddit that you could find useful: https://www.thrillist.com/culture/how-t ... ment-suite

What app are you using? I'm guessing you are using their official one. If on Android I find that "reddit Is fun" is the best app personally. If on iOS I hear that Bacon Reader is a good alternative to the official app, but in my experience I actually prefer the official one.

I'm assuming you have made an account if you are posting things, so if you have and you are on the official app, anything you click that + mark on is saved to your "Saved" page. To access it on the app click the top left of your screen, the "options bars." Then click your user name. That should take you to your profile and a list including your history, saved, posts, comments, etc.

That options sidebar will also have all of the subreddits you have subscribed to. If you haven't been able to subscribe to any, the way to do so is to go to the subreddit and click the three dots in the top right of your screen. There should be a "subscribe" option.

On the topic of r/nosleep, that is a very interesting sub but I don't tend to have time for it haha. A lot of the people are good writers (some not so much) but they like to drag things out into like 5 parters and I just forget about them so I don't often bother. The point of that sub is to pretend that whatever is posted is 100% real. You aren't supposed to, or allowed to, question their story at all. It's just for entertainment. Very rarely have I seen anything that has seemed real at all honestly, but I do remember this one post a year or so ago where a guy posted video evidence that someone had broken into his house while he was playing video games (headphones on) and when he thought he heard something strange outside he got up and recorded with his phone. After posting the video people pointed out that the assailant could be seen hiding from him in the video; one moment there is an oddly shaped human-looking figure in a corner of his dining room and then when he walks back through the figure is gone but he didn't notice. The issue with that sub is that I'll never know for sure if it was a real thing or a set up, but it really seemed real and if it was fake the guy sold the shit out of it.

Also, as for your post about the Ghost Busters car, if it doesn't receive enough upvotes you will never really see it in the sub itself unless you sort by new, but after a certain amount of time you won't find it there either. You should still be able to find it in your submitted section unless it was deleted for some reason, which will happen occasionally because the mod teams can be very strict about following the rules, especially in the bigger subs. Unfortunately, your submissions are at the whims of others and whether they find it entertaining enough to upvote it and get it attention. Likewise, I once posted a photo of a Jurassic Park Jeep around my area and nobody particularly cared, but I've submitted other things to /r/mildlyinteresting and other subs that have made it to the front page of the sub, which is always a nice feeling.

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:24 am

Yep, official app on the android. I shall have to try your suggestions. Thank you very much!

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I love reddit, have been posting there daily for the past three years. Am at 6500 comment karma currently. It's my favorite internet board by far.

And no I won't tell you my username there. I think it's the best there is because you can entirely personalize your boards and there's so much to choose from. Can spend half a day on there if I want to.
The only way out is in

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't know if my accumulated 26k comment karma over 2 years is sad or impressive... I mostly post in subs that I'm knowledgeable of the material, and I can be clever once in a while, so people either find my comments useful or funny I imagine. I also have no plans of sharing my username haha. Reddit anonymity is paramount.

I often wonder how many people I know in real life's posts I might be seeing every day, but then I remember most of my good friends aren't too apathetic to post things, they just lurk, and the majority of my acquaintances are more content to post funny videos on Facebook or update us about how tough or amazing their life is at this very moment.

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements