It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Gender roles

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 254

Gender roles

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 12:06 pm

So, this is a big one.

What do you think the ideal roles for men and women should be?

How should men and women carry themselves, what do you consider natural behaviour? What would you think would be the ideal way for society to express those ideas?

Personally, I think people should be free to express their gender however way they see fit. Men and women should be given equal opportunities to develop themselves, but they should not be looked down upon if they decided to be homemakers (men and women alike) or when they carry themselves differently than traditional gender norms dictate.

Personally I am against all forms of oppression, and that includes pressuring men to be masculine (not being allowed to cry, not playing with dolls etc) or women to be feminine (not being allowed to be strong, having to play with dolls etc) . I think people should be allowed to express their natural selves, whichever form that may take. Even if they think they are a unicorn, if they don't harm anyone with that thought I see no problem in them dressing with a horn on their head 24/7.

So naturally, I am against a society with defined gender norms, be it matriarchal or patriarchal. Like with religion, I believe the government should be neutral on this. Freedom of expression and opinion is also freedom to be who you feel you are.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I would like to hear yours :Smile:
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 259

Re: Gender roles

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:09 pm

The new beauty boys
Maybelline coverboy

Rainerann

1 star

• Thanks Received: 100

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 5:04 am

I would have to say that I agree with you Taragaia. It becomes a slippery slope when we start trying to control what other people when they are not hurting someone else. I would like people to be comfortable with themselves. I don't think women and men should be stereotyped to behave a certain way.

My only problem with this growing movement to stretch our limits and accept this vast and increasing range of terms to identify with is that there is a lot of reverse judgement. I am opposed to treating children as though they were raised unfairly in generations when they weren't given the opportunity to consider transgenderism. I think it is disrespectful. A lot of times, these discussions on increasing equality for different types of people support censoring religion or trying to control people who choose to participate in religion to recite a script they would like to hear. In my faith, this would be compared with a Pharisee who seeks attention and praise from an audience because it is as though they only want the praise of their particular groups for forcing a traditional group to change their narrative.

You know sometimes in life we have to accept that we are just not going to get along with everyone. We are not capable of being everyone's friend because we are different and I don't want to do some of the things that other people are doing. Sometimes the best way to keep peace is to not pretend like everybody is just going to be able to be so different and still be friends. We don't all have to be friends to have peace.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 am

Karlysymon wrote:The new beauty boys
Maybelline coverboy

What is the point of your post?

I mean personally I find them unattractive, but if they want to dress like this it's up to them as far as I am concerned.
The only way out is in

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am

Rainerann wrote:I would have to say that I agree with you Taragaia. It becomes a slippery slope when we start trying to control what other people when they are not hurting someone else. I would like people to be comfortable with themselves. I don't think women and men should be stereotyped to behave a certain way.

Thank you. I am glad to hear we agree here.

Rainerann wrote:I am opposed to treating children as though they were raised unfairly in generations when they weren't given the opportunity to consider transgenderism.

I personally believe one should be free to change their gender, but it's a decision only a mature adult can make. I agree that letting children go on hormone therapy is too soon and should be considered a form of abuse. If you can't consent to sex below 16, how is it possible to consent to something as major as changing your gender? I think that's ridicoulous and while I don't believe it's an agenda, I do believe it is taken too far.
The only way out is in

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 103

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 7:49 am

I'm fine with individuals; I am not okay with the agenda. Trans folk were able to figure themselves out long before the agenda. A lot of the "older" (closer to 30 and up) trans community hate all the attention being lavished on them since Bruce/Caitlin Jender! The younger crowd doesn't seem to see the downsides. Similar to the rest of the LGBT community; the "older" ones are like "Ytf do we need a gay Power Ranger? There was never a gay Power Ranger! And why is LeFou/The Fool suddenly such a flamer?" The younger crowd claps their hands at being represented and think the older crowd is overreacting. (My mtf roommate often shares with me what's going on in her various groups, so I get a semi-firsthand look at this.)

I don't think there's any good to come from having girly boys like the ones Karly shared promoting girly products. This is clearly part of the agenda to confuse people. Call me whatever you want, but I couldn't take a guy like that seriously. Are they trans? If so, then effing be trans and live as a woman, otherwise stop wearing more makeup than I do and take off your "man dress!" If they're not wanting to live as a woman, then they should stop painting themselves up as one. It doesn't make any sense to me; aside from these girly boy models are under mind control and this isn't their decision. They're being used to push a gender confusion agenda.

I don't see why people have such an issue with people like me who feel that certain things are girly and certain things are boyish. I didn't stop my son from playing with a Disney Princess kitchenette when he was little. He loved pretending to cook! My daughter is kinda getting into dinosaurs and dragons; something that was considered "for boys" when I was a kid. But he's still a boyish boy and she's very much a girly girl and I'm very happy about it! I don't force it on them, but I do love having a little princess who appreciates pretty things after so many years of "boy stuff" with her brother. What's so wrong with that? Nothing!

It's these ill-informed SJW's forcing bs on us like we're wrong for saying things like "I have a boy and a girl" because they feel we should let the kids choose their own gender; they're the ones creating an issue! Kids have a hard enough time choosing between chicken nuggets or a cheeseburger, they're not equipped to decide "I'm a girl with a penis!" It's ridiculous! Genuine trans kids wouldn't even be thinking about this stuff too much past "I wish I was a girl so I could wear a pretty dress to school!" or looking up to some strong female character on a show.

I'm all for letting people be themselves; but there's acceptance then there's brainwashing. This current agenda is going too far.
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 827

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I think traditional gender roles were important for much of human history, but I think that time has passed. I'm not a supporter of the radical fringe SJWs that think holding the door open for a woman is suppressing her or upholding the patriarchy, that's foolishness, but I do think that people should certainly be allowed to dress and act in the way that makes them comfortable, even if it makes those around them uncomfortable. The line would, as always, be drawn at harming someone else, but I have a hard time imagining how that would happen just by guys being more flamboyant or dressing like women and vice versa. It's a pretty harmless thing imo. So long as people are reasonable and don't get uber offended if you don't know what pronoun to use around them or in reference to them. While I feel we should be accepting of their decisions and lifestyle, they should also be understanding of us having to adjust to these changes as well. Accepting and understanding all around would do us all wonders.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 259

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Taragaia wrote:Men and women should be given equal opportunities to develop themselves, but they should not be looked down upon if they decided to be homemakers (men and women alike) or when they carry themselves differently than traditional gender norms dictate.

Iam pretty conservative but it disturbs me when conservative and ultra conservative guys endlessly claim that women aren't supposed to work. It is ridiculous and actually a statement made out of ignorance. They claim it is biblically supported and all that jazz. First of all, God ordained work to occupy the mind. Women have always held 'employment' alongside their husbands in family farms or the local lord's farm. Wasn't that employment? Unless a man held some profession like a school teacher, black/gold smith etc, they were always in the fields. The industrial revolution changed that all. The men left the fields for brick and mortar offices and the women followed them, leaving the fields for Big Ag. Iam all for everyone choosing whether to be a homemaker or pursue a career even though i think juggling a career with being a new mom is too much work (it would kill me and iam terrible at multitasking) but hey, were all different. Actually, the
Number of house-husbands
triples in 15 years as number
of women who are family's
main breadwinner soars
http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-209 ... soars.html

If the trend continues, what will be the implications for males in say 50yrs from now, since their identity is tied to 'breadwinning'?
Oh! I love Ingrid Michealson (Canadian musician) and her song "Girls chase Boys" is about the blurring of gender roles. I didn't like the video that much but love the song.
Last edited by Karlysymon on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Karlysymon wrote:Iam pretty conservative but it disturbs me when conservative and ultra conservative guys endlessly claim that women aren't supposed to work. It is ridiculous and actually a statement made out of ignorance. They claim it is biblically supported and all that jazz. First of all, God ordained work to occupy the mind. Women have always held 'employed' alongside their husbands in family farms or the local lord's farm.

Yes I did read parts of the Bible and recall Proverbs 31 saying that a woman's light should not fade during the night and her hand should never be still/ie she should always be working for the good of the family or otherwise. So I don't get that attitude either even when I try to put myself in their shoes.

Karlysymon wrote:If the trend continues, what will be the implications for males in say 50yrs from now, since their identity is tied to 'breadwinning'?

Is it? By whom was that ordained?
The only way out is in

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Loki wrote:I think traditional gender roles were important for much of human history, but I think that time has passed. I'm not a supporter of the radical fringe SJWs that think holding the door open for a woman is suppressing her or upholding the patriarchy, that's foolishness, but I do think that people should certainly be allowed to dress and act in the way that makes them comfortable, even if it makes those around them uncomfortable.

What is a ''radical social justice SJW''?

Holding a door open for anyone is just common courtesy as far as I am concerned and I oppose patriarchy, so I guess otherwise we agree.

Loki wrote: Accepting and understanding all around would do us all wonders.

Hear hear :Wink:
The only way out is in
Next

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering