It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Gender roles

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 101

Re: Gender roles

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:28 am

Going to read the new (to me) replies after posting this, but Karly's gif in the Nonsense thread reminded me of a question posed in this one, something along the lines of "What do you think a man or woman should be lIke?"

...Dean Winchester. Now there's an ideal man! And I'm glad to be reminded that there are still manly characters being portrayed in the media. I haven't watched Supernatural since season 9. I stopped watching cuz I don't have cable or Netflix, plus I end up dreaming of Dean and I don't like having pointless infatuations with fictional characters.

That may be kinda o/t, but it's still kinda on topic since we have fewer and fewer "manly men" in the media. Y'know, like that pussy middle-aged man on some Youth ad I have to watch for maybe 20 seconds as he sits in a white robe with a green facial mask on as he moans dejectedly how his wife used to love doing some skin care routine on him but not anymore....that's when I'm able to skip the ad. Maybe I'm kinda old fashioned, but I don't want a man who sits around in a fluffy robe wanting me to treat him like I'm his spa worker
I don't go to the spa nor do I desire to so ytf would I want a guy who's more of a prissy bitch than I am?

Anyways; rambly rant over. Gonna go check out what I've missed.

Edited because too much rambling.
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 826

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:Going to read the new (to me) replies after posting this, but Karly's gif in the Nonsense thread reminded me of a question posed in this one, something along the lines of "What do you think a man or woman should be lIke?"

...Dean Winchester. Now there's an ideal man! And I'm glad to be reminded that there are still manly characters being portrayed in the media. I haven't watched Supernatural since season 9. I stopped watching cuz I don't have cable or Netflix, plus I end up dreaming of Dean and I don't like having pointless infatuations with fictional characters.

That may be kinda o/t, but it's still kinda on topic since we have fewer and fewer "manly men" in the media. Y'know, like that pussy middle-aged man on some Youth ad I have to watch for maybe 20 seconds as he sits in a white robe with a green facial mask on as he moans dejectedly how his wife used to love doing some skin care routine on him but not anymore....that's when I'm able to skip the ad. Maybe I'm kinda old fashioned, but I don't want a man who sits around in a fluffy robe wanting me to treat him like I'm his spa worker
I don't go to the spa nor do I desire to so ytf would I want a guy who's more of a prissy bitch than I am?

Anyways; rambly rant over. Gonna go check out what I've missed.

Edited because too much rambling.

That ad sounds more like parody than anything else to me. Don't know the one you're talking about, but it kind of sounds like they are interchanging the man and the woman for humor. I don't know any guys (specifically of the heterosexual persuasion) who sit around in fluffy robes and apply facial masks and love to be pampered. I'm sure they exist, and if that's what they enjoy then whatever, but I don't see such a concept as anything to get ruffled over.

Also, this idea of the "manly man" is the same thing as "the perfect woman" we see on television. They are unfair ideals to put on either sex. I don't expect women to wax and shave everything for my pleasure, or clean and cook rather than work, or look perfect even in the mornings. Just because I and other men don't have a passion for working with our hands or don't regularly kill monsters and demons, doesn't make us any less of men. The time has passed for these stereotypes.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 259

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Crying releases pent-up energy. If men cried more often i guess we would have less walls punched, hardly any glasses flying across the room and fewer battered wives. Because of the changing dynamics between the sexes, Hanna Rosin wrote in "End of Men"
In fact, the more women
dominate, the more they
behave, fittingly, like the
dominant sex. Rates of violence
committed by middle aged
women have skyrocketed since the 1980s, and no one knows why. High-profile female killers have been showing up regularly in the news: Amy Bishop, the
homicidal Alabama professor; Jihad Jane and her sidekick, Jihad Jamie; the latest generation of Black Widows, responsible for suicide bombings in Russia.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... en/308135/

Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 227

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 259

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 207

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 2:36 pm

They might as well be women Karly. Just take a look at those skinny little legs.

Artful Revealer

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 425

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 am

Taragaia wrote:
Karlysymon wrote:The new beauty boys
Maybelline coverboy

What is the point of your post?

I mean personally I find them unattractive, but if they want to dress like this it's up to them as far as I am concerned.
This is clearly sexual appropriation by misogynists. We need to fight sexism!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world he is God.

CreepingJesus2

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 0

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm

I think if men want to be men that's fine or if men want to be women that's fine and if women want to be women or women want to be men this is there choice sometimes people are born in too somthing they don't want to be and then they get judged about it my friend was born a man and wants to be a women and now she is changing so that she can be but yet people are so judgmental over her and call her names it's bloody horrible but u can tell she is man In women's clothes but still no reason to judge tho hey xxx
Previous

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering