It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Surviving the post-employment economy

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

enkidu2368

Praetor-

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 285

Re: Surviving the post-employment economy

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am

Kung Fu wrote:There's actually several reasons as to why graduates and non-graduates can't seem to get "jobs" anymore. Firstly, the super wealthy are taking in more of the money so that means less for others, which usually correlates with less jobs. Second, the upper middle class that have had their wallets shrunken are tightening the barriers within the job markets making it harder for people to move into these better positions. Finally thirdly, all the resources and money seem to on the other side of the world now or in these second-world countries as some of us call them. People actually thought that they could continue to live comfortable here in the West for the rest of their lives, well sad to say that just ain't going to happen no matter how much the government sugar coats the issue. It's only going to get worse.

Money is not with being educated (that seems to be a more noblese oblige undertaking) but with being skilled, especially if you're not a part of 'society', which i remember from a video I watched a long time ago being a legalese term. Problem is those who drummed this into us most of them weren't skilled in anything either, so the education to work pipeline , especially in anglo-countries, it's always been a case of the blind leading the blind. If I ever have kids, which given my deteriorating life chances is looking less likely (i would never be selfish enough to bring kids into an uncomfortable life, i'm old enough to see what happens to the majority of disadvantaged kids on the street around here and it isn't pretty) I'm going to drum a vocational mind into them so fucking much. Honestly if i had the time to learn it well enough myself i'd home school them in pure applied mathematics from a young age myself (even if I have to pay for tutoring them on the side) which is really the key to all money-making sectors. To think I read a report the other day which said that there was actually A SKILLS SHORTAGE in the u.s (baloney), in my opinion this just means that they haven't found an economically viable way to fuck those kind of people over yet. That those people are actually getting paid a fair wage because they have bargaining power.

edit-
http://www.manpowergroup.us/campaigns/talent-shortage-2014/
http://www.inc.com/magazine/201404/cait-murphy/skills-gap-in-the-labor-force.html

Why “alleged”? Because, on a national level, the skills gap does not exist. (See Who Says There's A Skills Gap?)

Yes, there are issues finding people for specific jobs in specific industries; for the labor force as a whole, however, the skills-gap “crisis” is no such thing. And to the extent that your business is having problems, to a large degree, the solutions are in your hands. Specifically: Start training programs, pay competitive wages, and work with governments and community colleges. (See How to Build A Skilled Work Force...)

Another problem is that employers may be too picky when it comes to hiring. That may seem counterintuitive, but hang in there with us.

The extensive use of online hiring applications, for example, is not exactly helpful, says Peter Cappelli, an economist at the Wharton School’s Center for Human Resources. Screening software can and does filter out otherwise-qualified people who just don’t have the right title or buzzword in their online résumé--or have six years’ experience instead of seven. Research done by the U.S. Federal Reserve revealed a nice tidbit: When there are lots of applicants, employers tend to raise their standards, hoping to score a way-above-average hire.

Simply put, employers pile on so many requirements that finding a match is like hunting for a white elephant: They do exist but are vanishingly rare. Employers, in fact, are not shy about saying this is what they are doing. According to a 2013 Career Advisory Board survey of 500 U.S. hiring managers,
67 percent said they “don’t feel like they have to settle for a candidate without the perfect qualifications.” So if they don’t find the white elephant, they will keep hunting--even though there are willing elephants ready to do the job.

Then there’s another problem: You may not be willing to pay enough to attract even the B elephants, argues Cappelli. (The Manpower survey confirmed there was something to this; more than 10 percent of employers said that applicants wouldn’t take jobs at the pay offered.)
...this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. Al-Hadid (020)
Previous

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering