It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Feminism at its Finest!

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 207

Feminism at its Finest!

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... house.html

I understand, he cheated but why is she getting so damn much? If half of HIS things weren't enough she gets thousands upon thousands of dollars every month and 15% of HIS profits.

What happened to women being independent and having equal rights and responsibilities? Damn feminists want equality and all the privileges of the traditional lifestyle. What a fucked up ideology.

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

Re: Feminism at its Finest!

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 am

spousal support systems and laws have been in place since ancient egypt.

it appears she was a stay at home mom that gave up her career to raise their children and support her husband. spousal support is appropriate in this instance, and the courts only gave her temporary support it isnt lifelong alimony.

seeing as she was a stay at home mom i have no idea how you can even argue that feminism has anything to do with this.

when working couples seperate the settlements usually look a lot different. when the female is the breadwinner MEN receive spousal support as well.. see Britney Spears.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 12:11 pm

You don't think it would be sort of messed up if anyone, male or female, were to agree not to work in order to raise the children and take care of the home and then when they split with their partner they don't get any spousal support? Just a hardy handshake and well wishes?

If the woman was working and making as much as her husband and yet he still had to pay support when they split, then yeah that would be exploiting the system, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 pm

justjess wrote:it appears she was a stay at home mom that gave up her career to raise their children and support her husband. spousal support is appropriate in this instance, and the courts only gave her temporary support it isnt lifelong alimony.

Right :?

They definitely didn't have nannies, maids, and etc. She did everything in that big house of hers all by herself.

Spare me the bullshit please. There is no justification why she should be getting so damn much especially off of his work. 15% of his work profits and all the other ridiculous amounts of support.

He should hire a hitman :Rofl:

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 pm

justjess wrote:s

seeing as she was a stay at home mom i have no idea how you can even argue that feminism has anything to do with this.

How about she now goes and gets a job like everyone else. But it's your typical lazy feminist system that provides free rides for all these women :thumbup:

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 2:01 pm

You seem to be missing the point. Without some sort of financial support a woman who was a stay at home mom would be on the street with no money, or if she got the house int he settlement then she'd be in a house she can't afford with no income. Whether you have nannies or not, if between husband and wife one is decided to stay at home and not work then if that marriage dissolves the one who had the income should help with the other in the form of spousal support. It's not exactly as easy as just saying, "Oh I want a job now that my spouse is no longer supporting me." People won't just throw a job at a woman or man who hasn't been working for the last five or ten years, however long it might have been.

Now if a person is really worried about their new spouse trying to "mooch" off of them after their marriage ends then they should get a pre-nup signed.

PS. I'm mostly talkign about more normal divorces where the people involved aren't worth millions of dollars. However, in this case it does still apply, though one could argue she maybe received too much in the way of divorce compensations and that just comes down to good lawyering and the lack of a pre-nup really. Seeing as the guy cheated on her probably didn't help his case when it came to the settlement either. And ultimately I doubt this is going to hurt him too terribly much.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostTue Jul 29, 2014 6:26 pm

you realize for normal people its not soo easy as just saying "oh let me go get a job now" - for one there are still young children involved that someone needs to be around for, but even MORE than that its really really hard to secure employment after taking ANY time off from the workforce. that is a substantiated fact. i can back it up with my personal experience - after taking only a year off due to illness i am still having a hard time finding steady work despite my degrees and previous experience - that GAP in my resume is a curse, now imagine taking 5-10 years or more off? you are no longer employable. thats why they worry soo much about the long term unemployed caused by the recession. this has been documented and talked about by people in many different contexts, not just stay at home moms.

any couple thinking about having this sort of arrangement - with a stay at home parent - should discuss what will happen in the event of divorce ahead of time. my husband doesnt want me working when he comes home, we have discussed this at length because its unfortunate but you have to be realistic.

her alimony is time limited to four years. the courts did that to give her temporary support while she gets back on her own two feet and can support herself. there is nothing wrong with that.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

sarah

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 478

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I was reading about Lynn Noe, the ex-wife of Michael Landon who had an affair and divorced her for the other women Cindy Clerico, a woman 20 years younger. Lynn Noe and Michael had five children together who she raised at home while Michael Landon worked long hours for many years, he and Lynn were married for 19 years. Lynn was raked over the coals for asking for a little over $74,000 a month in payments for herself and their children, now that is a tremendous amount that was published all over the place in the media but the fact is Michael was making over $550,000 a month (which didn't seem to get publicized) as an income so in context $74,000 was a fair amount to ask.

And yes, women who have been stay at home moms do deserve spousal support because they have taken themselves out of the paid work force to work at home raising their children. Women who have spent a large portion of their lives raising their children and then find themselves divorced often find themselves struggling financially and trying to find employment and even if or when they do find employment it is not often a substantial income, let alone not having much in the way of a RRSP's or a Retirement Savings Plan that the man has been able to put into during his many years of employment while his then wife was at home raising the children. Women can easily get basically screwed over in a divorce and end up in poverty or struggling on a low income trying to make ends meet, such thanks for having given so many years of her life to caring for her family.

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering