It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Emma Watson's Speech at UN

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

Emma Watson's Speech at UN

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 7:56 pm

phpBB [video]

I’ve seen young men suffering from mental illness unable to ask for help for fear it would make them look less “macho”—in fact in the UK suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20-49; eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I’ve seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don’t have the benefits of equality either.

We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes but I can see that that they are and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence.

If men don’t have to be aggressive in order to be accepted women won’t feel compelled to be submissive. If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 875

Re: Emma Watson's Speech at UN

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Doesn't Emma know that if men aren't macho alpha men then they aren't really men? Silly Hermione. :Rofl:
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

enkidu2368

Praetor-

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 285

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 9:40 pm

I was very skeptical about emma's recent political campaigning at first considering she's campaigning for two very, let's be honest, establishmentarian movements (environmentalism and feminism) but this isn't so bad I guess.
...this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. Al-Hadid (020)

theglamazon

1 star

• Thanks Received: 35

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Is she the new Angie Jolie then? :roll:

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 999

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 1:27 am

soo.. nothing to say about the actual MESSAGE, just jabs at the messenger?
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

aphrodite

1 star

• Thanks Received: 56

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm

It was a great speech, so good that many have felt threatened by it and now they are threatening her with the release of nude photos.

If only people will listen and understand before judging the world would be a much better place.
"Minds are like parachutes...they only function when they are open." Thomas Dewar

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering