It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Erdogan - Women Not Equal To Men

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 148

Erdogan - Women Not Equal To Men

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30183711

Erdogan, states that women are not equal to men and that the women in today's world reject motherhood. However, he does go on to state that both men and women deserve equal amounts of respect.

Thoughts?

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 556

Re: Erdogan - Women Not Equal To Men

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 9:51 pm

So is he saying women are lesser than men or simply different? Because equality has less to do with men and women being identical and more to do with them being treated equally in social and work scenarios and not discriminated against.

If he's saying they are lesser then that's totally different than just saying men and women aren't "equal" in the sense that they aren't identical.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Loki wrote:So is he saying women are lesser than men or simply different? Because equality has less to do with men and women being identical and more to do with them being treated equally in social and work scenarios and not discriminated against.

If he's saying they are lesser then that's totally different than just saying men and women aren't "equal" in the sense that they aren't identical.

What he's saying is that they're not equal when it comes to work because most of the time men can do it better.

Well let me put to you this. Let's take a man and woman who want a position in construction. The man can do twice the amount of work the woman can, should both of them be paid the same amount? If I was an employer I would obviously pay the man more and therefore they would not be considered equal.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 556

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 pm

I think that scenario comes down to how much the woman can actually do. Construction work is hard, but if she's pulling her weight and keeping up then of course she should be paid the same. It's not a guarantee that she won't be able to do as much work as the men she works with, it's just an assumption. Now, if she isn't pulling her weight then perhaps she doesn't get a raise at the same rate the guys do or maybe she is let go before one of the guys, that's fine by me.

In that scenario though, what if you have a skinny guy or a fat guy that can't work as fast or as hard as the athletic guys, they should be paid less as well right? Less than even a fit woman who works harder than them.

It comes down to your capabilities more than your sex I think. But fair enough, women dont' tend to be as strong muscularly as men do so they will be at a disadvantage in jobs where strength and endurance is key. Though women do tend to have way better cardio because they aren't fueling all those big muscles.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 917

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 pm

my sister in law is a fantastic roofer and hvac technician. she runs circles around all the men at her job, except for her brother. she beats most of them at sales too. she clearly has a vagina.

i dont personally know many men who could have worked in my previous profession. it required an amount of empathy that many lack. though there were exceptions.

im not watchin this video, what is this mans proof that women are just not as good at working?

also how are women abandoning motherhood, they are still having children and doing most of the childcare arent they ?
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan more and more resembles the drunken uncle who shows up to Thanksgiving dinner uninvited and makes everyone uncomfortable with his verbal bombshells. On Monday, Nov. 24, the conservative Muslim attended a women's justice summit in Istanbul and declared that women aren't equal to men.

Certain work, Erdogan said, goes against women's "delicate nature," and "their characters, habits, and physiques are different" from men's.

"Our religion [Islam] has defined a position for women: motherhood," he said.

He then went on to blast feminists, accusing them of not understanding their role in society.

"Some people can understand this, while others can't," he said. "You cannot explain this to feminists because they don't accept the concept of motherhood."

Erdogan tried using the Quran to advance his point, saying, "Paradise lies at the feet of mothers," which ended up just turning into an awkward reflection on the role of his mother in his own family.

"I would kiss my mother's feet because they smelled of paradise," he said. "She would glance coyly and cry sometimes."

Those comments came on the heels of a recent claim that Muslims, not Christopher Columbus, first discovered the Americas.

Though Turkey has a secular constitution, Erdogan's feelings on feminism don't exactly come as a surprise. He has a history of trying to incorporate his religious values into law, proposing limiting abortion rights and access to birth control, for example. He also once said that every Turkish woman should give birth to three children; and in July, one of his top ministers said women should resist laughing in public.

The feminists present at Monday's speech probably had a tough time avoiding that temptation.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said women cannot be treated as equal to men, and has accused feminists of rejecting motherhood.

"You cannot put women and men on an equal footing," he told a meeting in Istanbul. "It is against nature."

He also said feminists did not grasp the importance of motherhood in Islam.

His comments often seek to appeal to his pious core supporters, says the BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul, but they anger more liberal voters.

Turks who have more secular views argue that the government's social policies are taking the country in a dangerous direction, our correspondent says.

Mr Erdogan has previously urged women to have three children, and has lashed out against abortion and birth by Caesarean section.
'Delicate nature'

His latest remarks were delivered at a women's conference in Istanbul.

"In the workplace, you cannot treat a man and a pregnant woman in the same way," Mr Erdogan said, according to the Anatolia news agency.

Women cannot do all the work done by men, he added, because it was against their "delicate nature".

"Our religion regards motherhood very highly," he said. "Feminists don't understand that, they reject motherhood."

He said women needed equal respect rather than equality.

Mr Erdogan also told the Istanbul meeting that justice was the solution to most of the world's issues - including racism, anti-Semitism, and "women's problems".

The Turkish leader often courts controversy with his statements.

Earlier this month, he claimed that Muslims had discovered the Americas more than 300 years before Christopher Colombus.

In his 11 years as prime minister, Mr Erdogan became a crucial player in regional politics.

However, his reputation has suffered recently over the crisis in Syria, and accusations of authoritarianism.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Kung Fu

2.5 stars

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 12:11 am

Your average male will always be able to work more productively than your average female when it comes to most trades and "on hand work" but yet these feminists would demand equal pay for women. As an employer, I would definitely laugh at that.

I've never seen a female roofer in my life.

Liberals, neo-conservatives, and Zionists can say what they want about Erdogan but he was elected democratically by the people and his support is only growing so he must be doing something right. The Donmeh Jews are finally losing their control over Turkey so the smear campaigns have started rolling out. No surprise there.

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 am

and all jobs are trades now? last time i checked that was not the case..

you may not have seen it, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. its a fact that my sister in law does roofing and hvac work. its a family business so she was brought up in it. her older sister runs the office but she didnt want to be in the office and wanted the same opportunities her brother (my husband) had in the field and convinced her father to give her a shot. she works harder and better than any man in that office. if she didnt her father - who is a major sexist dickhead - would have pulled her out of the field long ago.

i posted the articles so loki could see what he actually said, since he cant watch videos.

do u have nothing to say about his actual statements? since he didnt mention trades at all and actually just said women should be mothers and not work at all?

sarah

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 473

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 pm

I.. as the President of the country of Opesia state factually and categorically that men are not equal to women, just different, men are made different, intellectually, emotionally and as far their capabilities go, that is obvious to anyone with a thinking and analytical brain. Men are not equal with women and due to the differences in gender men are not capable of the work that women do.. that is work that also guarantees them a monetary income independent of their committed marital relationships with women.

What the working woman they are married to chooses to give them as an allowance is all they are entitled to monetarily with consideration and respect in that they are fulfilling the one role in all of life that we woman and I as President of Opesia know they are capable of doing, the one role that they were in fact born to do due to these differences.

The men who refuse to abide by the one role in life that we women and I as President of Opesia and all who think likewise have consigned them to... that being the role they were given from birth to perform and no other role.. are clearly rebellious not just against us but against their own genetics, their own physical, emotional and intellectual limits and capabilities, and worst of all.. they are rebelling against God Herself.

Those types of men who would rebel in this way and encourage others to do likewise are not worthy of our respect or consideration. Those men who are incapable or unwilling to consign themselves to the one role in life that is their true destiny and capability from birth onward are worthless.

In addition.. no consideration should be given to those men who are physically unable to fulfill the role that we as women of Opesia know is the only role that is theirs to fulfill... due to a defect in their physical makeup, the defect renders them worthless even if they had no choice in the matter because it renders them unable to fulfill their role as men. As such, they are to be ostracized and it is to be made clear that they are not worthy of the respect given to those men who have been made capable of fulfilling the role they have... due to their own physical and other characteristics been confined to. To treat men as equally with women goes against the laws of nature and all who are intelligent know this.

And let me be very clear... as the President of Opesia and as a woman.. women and men are worthy of equal respect, just as I had utmost respect for my own father who fulfilled his one role in life to the utmost of his capabilities and even more so. So let it be known. Image
Last edited by sarah on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Artful Revealer

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 421

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 12:21 pm

justjess wrote:i posted the articles so loki could see what he actually said, since he cant watch videos.

do u have nothing to say about his actual statements?

since he didnt mention trades at all and actually just said women should be mothers and not work at all?

If his actual statements are so important, where exactly did he mention women shouldn't work at all?
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world he is God.
Next

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering