It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Toni Morrison - "Racism is a Social Construct"

Discussions and critical analysis of controversial social and cultural issues.
  • Author

King Kanti

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 82

Toni Morrison - "Racism is a Social Construct"

PostFri Dec 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Most interesting part, which starts at about 4 min. 30 secs.

"You have to know something about rac-ISM."

"There is no such thing as 'race', none. There's just a 'human race', scientifically, anthropologically. Racism is a construct, a social construct. And it has benefits. Money can be made off of it. People who don't like themselves can feel better because of it. It can describe certain kinds of behavior that are wrong or misleading. So it has a social function; 'Racism'. But 'race , can only be described as a human being."

Check it out here:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/9 ... 12014_cn_6

Drop your thoughts if you have any!

hermes

1 star

• Thanks Received: 60

Re: Toni Morrison - "Racism is a Social Construct"

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Stereotypes are indeed social constructs; with that said racist beliefs which are often a by product of stereotypes will be socially constructed ideas. I can't really say if ethnicity though is a social construct because certain biological characteristics make us a specific way. For instance, lighter people are that skin colour due to lack of melanin and the opposite applies for darker people. All stereotypes associated with ethnicities are constructs though.

Stereotypes create racist beliefs such as those that were utilized to justify social Darwinism during colonial/early post colonial years. I've always viewed them as an oppressive tool that can often be harmful when internalized as some form of truth. For instance you can somewhat see this is evident in the black community which has internalized many of the negative stereotypes imposed on them over generations. It's best exemplified in the current genocide of black youth by other black youth.

We need to do away with these entrenched beliefs that arise out of colonial practices. The problem is they are deeply rooted I current society and mass ignorance currently perpetuates some of these beliefs without real criticism against them.
"Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media."- Noam Chomsky

King Kanti

1.5 stars

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Wouldn't ethnicity be a social construct as well?

King Kanti

1.5 stars

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 11:41 pm

The late Myles Munroe speaks on Racism:

Munroe on Racism:

When I asked him about breaking down barriers between races and cultures in the body of Christ, he told me we have to reduce ourselves from every race to one race—the human race.

"As long as we consider race beyond human race there will be racism. We need to get a revelation of what it means to be human. Racism and bigotry is not only related to pigmentation of skin. It can also be related to differences of opinions or differences of methods. We can be a racist between denominations and belief systems. The source of racism is low self-esteem, low self-worth and a poor self-concept. Once you realize how valuable you are as a human and recognize that everybody else is also made in the same image as you are, then equality is an automatic result," he told me.

advertisement

"The greatest command in the law is the secret to destroying racism, and that is to love God with all your heart, your soul and your strength. Then love yourself, and love your neighbor to the same degree that you love yourself. Until you love yourself, racism will always be present. Racism is a sign of self-hatred. I don't care if you speak in tongues. I don't care how many miracles you work. If you have problems with people who are different from you, then you are still suffering from self-hatred. If you discover and really understand God and love what God is and who God is, then you'll naturally love yourself because you are made in His image. It's impossible for you to love God and hate your brother."

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/wat ... t-miracles

XnoXnameX

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 14

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 6:35 pm

I think we really do need to do away with all social contracts attached to race/color/looks. It's all used to control, manipulate and box people in, and then pit them against each other. Sad.

But we cannot undo racism unless we face it. Saying it's gone, doesn't mean it's gone. And that's why I think America is going through what it's going through. It was never really eradicated. The consciousness in people's minds was not drastically changed like it is required to if we are to progress. But I think more and more people are waking up- because black/brown lives matter just as much as any white person- and white people themselves are seeing that too and seeing what privilege is. It's not necessarily having access to riches and all- poor white people do exist! Privilege is about not having to worry if a cop is going to pull you over and treat you like shit for your skin color/gender, it's about being able to walk into a room without being looked at like an alien, and it's about being treated like a human being.
No se puede vivir con tanto veneno

sarah

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 473

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Of course we are all of the human race and of course there are differences in color and all kinds of mixtures and so this is all a wonderful thing to be celebrated not disparaged. I have found some of the worst hostility can be amongst what is considered the full-blooded or pure blooded no matter what the background be it 'full blooded' Scots, Irish, Native Americans, Italians, Africans etc... in that if you are not a full-blood .......fill in the blank..... then you can sometimes be thought of as lesser than .... So what if a person is a mix or a mutt, it is as you were made just as wonderfully as the pure blooded and not less than, not impurely but rather miraculously like anyone else and that not of our own doing because we do not make ourselves..

At the same time being pure blooded ethnicity is nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever, why not honour the connectedness and sense of history passed down within your own ancestral background. To know about, learn from and to celebrate one's own roots be it one strong line or many interwoven is a good thing. It is what makes up who we are today, who we were born being. When it comes to 'race' we only know so much. Even those who consider themselves to be of one solid line of ancestry do not know who slept with who exactly all the way down through their family trees that makes up the person that we are in their own bloodlines that will always have mystery and unknowingness about it.

We all share the same Maker. At the same time differences make it all the more interesting. I am thinking along the lines of differing cultures and backgrounds. There is more to 'race' than social construct, there is one's own ancestry and all the stories and experiences of those who went before us and we are connected to that through our genes, through our DNA, even if we do not know many of the life stories of those who went before us.

I do think that stereotypes are pretty much a bad thing because it generalizes people, it pre-judges people based on pre-conceptions but stereotypes are based on so much more than 'race' or the color of one's skin etc.. They are so often based on things that people have not much control over. A person cannot change who you were born to or what one looks like and why would a person want to except for outside pressures that deem to try to make us feel less than..

Acceptance, to accept yourself as you are, a wonderfully made being of enormous value, more value than we can even comprehend in this life and a completely unique being, with no other matching this uniqueness in the entire universe as there is not one other person who is like ourselves, that is actually very humbling and mind boggling. With uniqueness is how we were intricately woven together, and not just us, everything.

Artful Revealer

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 421

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Just because race is a root cause for several social issues does not mean we have to deny its existence. We simply need to acknowledge it and consciously accept that it is not a barrier between us.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled is convincing the world he is God.

King Kanti

1.5 stars

PostFri Dec 26, 2014 5:51 am

Artful Revealer wrote:Just because race is a root cause for several social issues does not mean we have to deny its existence. We simply need to acknowledge it and consciously accept that it is not a barrier between us.

Self hatred is the root cause.
Racism is the issue of the topic, and there is only one race-the human race.

enkidu2368

Praetor-

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 280

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 1:21 am

Artful Revealer wrote:Just because race is a root cause for several social issues does not mean we have to deny its existence. We simply need to acknowledge it and consciously accept that it is not a barrier between us.

:Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :clap:
...this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. Al-Hadid (020)

Return to Social and Cultural Engineering