It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

A song of ice and fire

Discussion on the arts of the world and all things literature.
  • Author

Ncherie

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 3

A song of ice and fire

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:06 pm

First off, I can't believe there isn't already a thread on this...maybe there's one for the show (shrugs).

However, I was browsing a separate forum on westeros.org and couldn't help but wish we had our own ASOIAF thread so here it goes....

Before I go into crazy conversations about the books, was wondering if anyone has gotten the recently released paperback versions of ADWD, since they all seem to have different chapters from 'next book'?

Who are some of your favorite characters?

Why?

Any major 'conspiracies' you wish to discuss?

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 873

Re: A song of ice and fire

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm not sure how many on the boards have actually read the books. Its been a couple years since I read them but I have a decent memory most of the time. My favorite cahracter is of course Tyrion, and Arya is great too, though her story got really slow for a while, hoping it picks up in the next book though. And then of course Daenaerys' story has gotten interesting again.

What are your thoughts on Jon Snow's parents?
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Michael

1 star

• Thanks Received: 52

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 3:35 am

I've heard the theory that Jon's dad is Rhaegar, which almost makes too much sense, except for the fact that he'd be the only Targarean withouth blonde hair and purple eyes. So well I don't think he's Ned's, I don't think he's Rhaegar's either. Tough call.

Favorite character is Victarion Greyjoy. Most badass character in the series.

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 873

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Yeah the most common theory about his parentage is Rhaegar and Lyanna. But I agree the lack of blonde hair and violet eyes makes me believe that is not the case and that it would be too cliche. And beside that his hand definitely burned. So unless he is a lame Targaryen like Viserys then he is no Targaryen. And what would be the point of making him one if not to make him bad ass?

My personal belief fluctuates between his parents being Lyanna and Robert, or Robert and a random wench. But Ned clearly states that he is of Stark blood, so I'm thinking Lyanna and Robert is most likely.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria

Ncherie

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 3

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 12:25 am

Yay!!! I haven't been on the boards for a while, so sorry for the late response...

Tyrian is my number on favorite character too, he's difficult to not love, in fact I'd need some real justification from the people that hate him.

My seconds are arya and bran, I fluctuate back and forth, right now brans learning his identity and Arya is supposed to shed hers, even if she doesn't want to.

I am a strong r+l=j supporter! I think that's what Lyanna wanted Ned to 'promise her'. I can kind of understand the logic that he doesn't have r features, however, I think those features are so strong because of centuries of incest. With all of the other noble families, the children take the strong features of one parent (I.e, the other Starks having tully )catelyn's features but Jon and arya favoring Ned, who says she looks like his sister).

Return to Arts and Literature