It is currently Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Invisible Child

Discussion on the arts of the world and all things literature.
  • Author

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 176

Invisible Child

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 4:41 am

Girl in the Shadows: Dasani's Homeless Life

A gut-wrenching piece about child poverty in New York City. It's a lengthy, five part series, but the quality of reporting is truly superb. Honestly, I can't recall better.

Behind the Scenes, Before and After

Cheers

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 215

Re: Invisible Child

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Part one had me angry at the parents-

Then... on part 2

There is no place on the inspection forms for the most common complaint: the disrespect accorded to residents by the shelter staff. Were there such a box to check, it could never capture how these encounters reverberate for days, reinforcing the rock-bottom failure that Auburn represents.

Even egregious incidents are sometimes mentioned in passing. One mother summarizes her grievance, at the top of the form, as “All of my belongs went in garbbage.” In explaining how her possessions were discarded, she mentions, tangentially, that her caseworker had “groped” her. She ends the complaint on a conciliatory note: “Peace.”

The signature at the bottom belongs to Dasani’s mother, Chanel. After she filed the complaint in September 2011, the worker was taken off her case, but kept his job and recently got a raise.

:problem:

Still reading...
ImageImage HAPPY! ImageImage

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 982

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 9:08 am

i just typed up a whole thing and lost it..

basically, i really wish they had chosen a different family, despite how good the article is, to discuss poverty in NYC.. rather than a family who examplifies every stereotype about the poor that there is.. there are plenty of responsible working poor in nyc who are also homeless who arent drug addicts or in gangs, who dont neglect their children.

also there were a bunch of inaccuracies that irked me - a studio in most parts of brooklyn does not cost 2300/month, children of the poor go to college for free (just two examples)

and im a bit concerned that there was not more meaningful discussion of the severe child neglect that is described throughout this entire article.. idk.

i dont see this article contributing positively to the plight of the poor in NY, unfortunately. wish i could say different
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Failboat

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 103

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 am

So far I'm on Part 4 ......

Edit: I found this really sad/profound for a child :

Dasani: “It’s a tsunami, just spinning around, nothing going right,” she says. “And I’m like, ‘Put my life back together!’ and it doesn’t happen. Your life doesn’t go the way you want it to go.”

:Waa:

*continues reading*

Return to Arts and Literature