It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:28 pm

15 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More.

Discussion on the arts of the world and all things literature.
  • Author

Wakey

Karuna.

1 star

• Thanks Received: 98

15 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More.

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 11:33 pm

None of us should need a reason to read. Reading wouldn’t be labeled with such importance if there weren’t obvious, universal benefits. But often these benefits seem vague and perhaps we just gloss them over. People say reading makes you smarter, but what do they actually mean when they say that? In an effort to pare down the subjectivity and examine the comprehensive research, here are 15 ways reading is incredibly beneficial to absolutely anyone:

1. Reading boosts empathy.

According to new research from Boston College, fiction experiences increase a reader’s empathy. Fiction, according to the study, “presents a simulation of real-world problems, and therefore has real consequences for the reader.”

2. Reading improves math skills.

Could it be? Research would suggest so. A study found that students who read for pleasure made more progress in math than their counterparts. But you should probably still do your math homework.

3. Reading is therapy.

A study found that children’s literature is a “therapeutic tool for facilitating emotional growth and healing.” The study also provided a list of children’s books for counseling interventions.

4. Reading is the best way to relax.

Want to decompress? Psychologists found that even six minutes of reading a day can be enough to reduce stress by two thirds.

5. Reading improves rational thinking and comfort with uncertainty.

Researchers in Toronto found that reading lessens the need for “cognitive closure”, which in turn also increases rationality and creativity. This whole reading this is starting to sound sort of perfect.

6. Reading slows cognitive decline, lowers the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s.

Another study found that the more cognitive activity you have throughout your life, the slower you experience cognitive decline. Have we mentioned that the best cognitive activity is reading?

7. Reading improves memory and learning capacity.

Dr. Ken Pugh says that “parts of the brain that have evolved for other functions—such as vision, language, and associative learning—connect in a specific neural circuit for reading, which is very challenging”. By providing more work for your brain, you increase your learning capacity as well as your memory.

8. Reading encourages self-reflection.

Scientists in Liverpool found that reading the classics, especially poetry, increased activity in the right side of the brain, which is associated with autobiographical memory. Side note: The study also noted that “[s]erious literature acts like a rocket-booster to the brain.”

9. Reading promotes civic engagement and involvement in public life.

The National Endowment for the Arts reports that those who are involved in art, literature among these, have an increased presence in public life. The study also found that readers attend museums, theaters, concerts, and even sporting events more than their counterparts.

10. Reading boosts vocabulary.

Sure, this is obvious. Reading helps with elocution. Who wouldn’t benefit a little from that?

11. Reading increases your own writing.

You’ve heard it a million times: the best way to become a better writer is to read more. It has scientific backing, too.

12. Reading makes you sleep better.

According to a report from Harvard Medical School, reading is one of the best activities to prepare for bed since it is a soothing activity. It also doesn’t involve as much LED lighting, which deters sleep.

13. Reading makes you happier.

A 2011 study found that reading print media was negatively associated with major depressive disorder. Interestingly enough, the study did find a positive correlation between major depressive disorder and popular music. Better steer clear of Miley, y’all.

14. Reading is linked to better job prospects.

A sociologist from the University of Oxford reported that more reading in your formative years is directly correlated to better job prospects as a working professional. According to the study, reading was the only out-of-class activity linked to success down the road.

15. Reading is sexy.

Thought Catalog is no stranger to this topic. Intelligence is sexy, we know that. And if you’ve picked up on anything through the course of this list, it should be that reading increases emotional and cognitive intelligence. Ergo, by transitive law, reading is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

You’d be hard-pressed to find an activity that could have such a profound effect on an individual. So, why exactly aren’t you reading?

http://altering-perspectives.com/2013/1 ... -read.html

I adore literature as it allows one to enter into self-reflecting dimensions within oneself in a challenging yet profound manner, in a similar fashion like art, video games, movies and other great categories. I have met people who find reading fairly boring but I view it as a 'good medicine' that may not be suitable for everyone yet luckily people are able to find other passions in other things. Anyway I love books and I have decided that I will at least buy 1-2 books monthly in order to increase my collection of such particular 'medicine'.

Regarding the list above, I really do feel that certain areas and aspects of myself have increased dramatically largely thanks to literature, though combined with other factors in life of course.

Feel free to agree/disagree/dicuss/debate and etc.
"Love the whole world as a mother loves her only child." - Buddha.

Anarki

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 232

Re: 15 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More.

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Great share.

I think "1. Reading boosts empathy.

According to new research from Boston College, fiction experiences increase a reader’s empathy. Fiction, according to the study, “presents a simulation of real-world problems, and therefore has real consequences for the reader.” is pretty spot on.

If more people could relate to the problems of one another we wouldn't deem them as lesser and might actually work towards fixing them. Like addiction and poverty.
This ain't a movie, I'm not a fan or a groupie. And I'm not that type of cat you can afford to miss if you shoot me.

TheFallenAlchemist

The Irate Individual

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 135

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:47 pm

16. Because I write books and would love it if people read them. lol. ;)

All of this is fascinating, yet certainly true. I try to read as much as I can. Of course, my job is dependent on reading because I have to edit many interviews. Yet I also get the enjoyment of translation or; "what the hell is he talking about and how can I put that in legible English?" Some interviews are easy, others much more difficult. I also read quite a bit of music magazines in order to familiarize myself more with the bands that I work with. But as you well know, I also read plenty of regular novels too. Everyone loves (or should love) a good story.
"Symbols have power, Netley... Power enough to turn even a stomach such as yours... Or to deliver half this planet's population into slavery." - Alan Moore, From Hell

Reviews, interviews, thoughts/theories: http://www.thegrimtower.com/
Band Page: http://www.torii.bandcamp.com/

sehresh08

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 9

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 am

I think that reading does truly have a profound affect on an individual. I began reading in my spare time at the age of ten. I never read anything that could be viewed as "smart" I just read Harry potter books, young Bond, a series of unfortunate events etc.. But there was a considerable change in my school life. I went from being the child that didn't really pay attention and was always messing around and needing extra help with my school work to being one of the smartest children in my year. I improved with maths and science as well. Also I would like to point out that In secondary school I was always the only non-white person in the top classes for Maths/English/Science I am not saying this to be controversial but I believe that culture has a big impact on whether a child reads. Although, I did go to a school that was about 95% white so it may not be all that surprising that I was the only non- white kid in top-set.

Taipy13

Where the love people go

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 12

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Number 5. Yes

Ambiguity is pretty enjoyable

justjess

JEZEBEL

5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 854

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 am

<3 books.
Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be. ~Betty Rollin

"I don't really aspire to being rational. I'm more attracted to the irrational," she says. "There's no such thing as total rationality. That's something I've realized lately." - Scarlet Johansson

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 171

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Does anybody speed read?

Failboat

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 103

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 4:05 am

Haha yeah I mean I've never timed myself but people always thought I was lying when I'd tell them I'd read x or z book in a day lol

My BFF is supposed to let borrow all her GoT series books and I'm super excited!!!

Illuminaughty

d o.o b

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 171

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 6:47 pm

'mirin ur page flips :ugeek:

Return to Arts and Literature