It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

Favorite book/What are you currently reading?

Discussion on the arts of the world and all things literature.
  • Author

aphrodite

1 star

• Thanks Received: 50

Re: Favorite book/What are you currently reading?

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm

soulfire wrote:I'm reading Le Petit Prince. It's a really beautiful book.

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

Loved that book. Read it first in it's original language when learning French; love it so much that have read it also in Spanish and English.

It's a beautiful lesson in humanity, humility, simplicity, innocence, friendship, all those disappearing values.
"Minds are like parachutes...they only function when they are open." Thomas Dewar

soulfire

1 star

• Thanks Received: 37

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Oh yes! It's amazing. I'm reading it in French as well... and Japanese soon. It's a great book when learning languages too. I've heard about the ending... sounds really sad but haven't reached there yet. I may cry. :(
I love the parts where he visits the different planets... so hilarious but true...

Scimitar

let's save the world

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 397

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 pm

someone nicked my The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho... thats the 7th time I bought that book... so for the time being, no light reading for me - it's all heavy.

Tonight, I curl up with The 48 Laws of POWER - Robert Greene... no, I'm no power hungry freak, just that I like to get into their mindsets to see where the flaws manifest.

Scimi

I have nothing to do with any recommendations to join any war on any person , race or community. I do not support ISIS nor any other movement, I am here solely for the purpose to seek opportunities to unite mankind, I seek to look at common ground and choose to ignore differences. I do not support violence, I condemn it. I have no affiliations with any promoting of violence be it political, racial or religious.

soulfire

1 star

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 3:10 am

OMG! I have the Alchemist in French. You can borrow it if you want. :) Seemed like a good book but haven't had much time to read it.

aphrodite

1 star

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 3:34 pm

soulfire wrote:OMG! I have the Alchemist in French. You can borrow it if you want. :) Seemed like a good book but haven't had much time to read it.

Another good book, together with the Manual of the Warrior of Light and The Pilgrimage have been important books in my self discovery. They are light and profound and can have a big impact on your life, giving also different lessons depending on your circumstances at the time of your reading.
"Minds are like parachutes...they only function when they are open." Thomas Dewar

soulfire

1 star

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 10:30 pm

I can't wait until that time in my life comes where I can just sit down and read books...

Scimitar

let's save the world

3.5 Stars

• Thanks Received: 397

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 am

soulfire wrote:OMG! I have the Alchemist in French. You can borrow it if you want. :) Seemed like a good book but haven't had much time to read it.

my french sucks derrier :D

It's a charming little book, I won't give you any spoilers... just, beautifully written with simple language, honest and enlightening with a touch of the bitter sweet we know as life. Has a good ending too.

aphrodite wrote:Another good book, together with the Manual of the Warrior of Light and The Pilgrimage have been important books in my self discovery. They are light and profound and can have a big impact on your life, giving also different lessons depending on your circumstances at the time of your reading.

I have the pilgrimage, but not opened it yet... might have to soon, now that you've reminded me of it. :Smile:

soulfire wrote:I can't wait until that time in my life comes where I can just sit down and read books...

retirement? or holidays? or both?

or like me - wherever you get the chance, your nose goes into a book! :D Seriously, I thought I was sad like that, but then my sister took her book with her to a restaurant we all went to - and started to read it while we were waiting for the food to come and being social ... seriously, I felt good that I wasn't so far gone as my sister lol.

Scimi

I have nothing to do with any recommendations to join any war on any person , race or community. I do not support ISIS nor any other movement, I am here solely for the purpose to seek opportunities to unite mankind, I seek to look at common ground and choose to ignore differences. I do not support violence, I condemn it. I have no affiliations with any promoting of violence be it political, racial or religious.

soulfire

1 star

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:54 am

Lol the last time I went to a restaurant I did the same thing as your sister: ) it was with my Japanese book...it hurts to part...

soulfire

1 star

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 am

Just the time of settling down. My life is too hectic.

aphrodite

1 star

PostFri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm

soulfire wrote:I can't wait until that time in my life comes where I can just sit down and read books...

Remember that we only have the present. Enjoy your books when you can, but also enjoy your life while you have it.
Those hectic times may pass, or not, and a good book is always great company.
PreviousNext

Return to Arts and Literature