It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 am

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

How lucky are those who had a childhood

General all purpose critical analysis and discussions on the world around us.
  • Author

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 267

How lucky are those who had a childhood

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 am

I copied this one from the other boards, thought it was quite a good thread.

Do you remember when we were kids? We would actually group together all of the neighborhood friends and play games like "freeze tag" and "hide and go seek." After school we would go over to a friend's house and play video games until it got dark and you know you would be grounded if you came home too late. Remember the day you were learning to ride a bicycle for the first time and fell on your ass and your friend's laughed at you? Or how about trading CD's and Pokemon cards with your friends ? We lived in the last generation when parks and neighborhoods were flooded with happy children.

It's sad to see that technology took this away. Even kids playing with other people are doing it in separate rooms via online gaming. Yesterday, I visited the places where I used to play. The neighborhood was empty and there was only one child at the playground. The little brat was on his phone. What the hell does a six year old do on an iPhone anyway?

I haven't seen anyone out and about since the 90s. Then last year, Pokemon Go was released and the streets were once again crowded with children and adults of many ages. There would be very minimal socializing among the players. The majority were too involved in their phones, trying to play a game from our childhood. And once that game burned out, the streets were hushed.

How lucky are we to have lived a childhood?

I am definitely happy that technology didn't enter my life until after the age of 12, and even then it was restricted. I was allowed on the internet for two hours per week, and that's it. I didn't have a cellphone (didn't want one either) and had an actual social life.

I am happy that as a kid I played outside and had to use my imagination to enjoy myself, I still enjoy the fruits of that today. It also made me an avid reader and I still am. I am pleased with that part of growing up. There are still children playing outside here, but a lot less than there used to be. Usually supervised by parents (on their smartphone) at playgrounds and parks, and not in the streets like it used to be.

I didn't get a cellphone until I began to live on my own, which was in my early twenties. I used it since then instead of a landline and I still do. I still own no television and my computers are what one could call old fashioned and run by Linux. So technology still isn't big in my house except for the smartphone I have because they don't sell the old mobile devices anymore and it was the cheapest deal.
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 271

Re: How lucky are those who had a childhood

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm

I enjoyed my childhood and miss those days. Maybe i just don't want to grow up?
In the last few years i came to realize how my birth date was on point. My entry into this world was perfectly timed and i thank God alot for that. Had i been born earlier or later than my birth date (wouldn't have wanted either), God would certainly have written my suicide note.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 267

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 am

Karlysymon wrote:I enjoyed my childhood and miss those days. Maybe i just don't want to grow up?
In the last few years i came to realize how my birth date was on point. My entry into this world was perfectly timed and i thank God alot for that. Had i been born earlier or later than my birth date (wouldn't have wanted either), God would certainly have written my suicide note.

Why is that?

Because of the state of the current generation growing up? Because of the state of the world?

Please tell me more.
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

Yes, everything. Iam a happy person (contented with my life, its not perfect but it is fine) and optimistic but when i look around, honestly i don't think people born after 2000 have a future at all. By future i mean;
1) the literal sense of the word. If the world economy does collapse in the next five years...well...what can i say? Already birth rates are falling because people simply cannot afford to have kids. Not just that but when unemployment goes up, so does suicide among men (their identity is tied to work). Even the recession that began in 2008, was called a 'man-cession' because it was the gender that was hardest hit. Yes constructions jobs were lost and all that but some women aren't willing to put up with a jobless man for long.
2) everything they are inheriting is a very pale shadow of what our progenitors had. Dane Wigington of Geoengineering Watch said that hardly anyone knows what real blue skies look like.
Iam satisfied with my life (God couldn't have chosen or decided any better!) and wouldn't have wanted to be born after 2000 or experience a mid-life crisis at this point in time.

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm

How children lost the right to
roam in four generations:

" The report's author, Dr William Bird.....believes children's long-term mental health is at risk. He has compiled evidence that
people are healthier and better adjusted if they get out into the countryside, parks or gardens. Stress levels fall within minutes of seeing green spaces, he says.
Even filling a home with flowers and plants can improve concentration and lower stress. "If children haven't had contact with nature, they never develop
a relationship with natural
environment and they are
unable to use it to cope with
stress," he said. "Studies have shown that people deprived of contact with nature were at greater risk of depression and anxiety. Children are getting less and less
unsupervised time in the natural environment. "They
need time playing in the
countryside, in parks and in
gardens where they can
explore, dig up the ground and build dens."
http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-462 ... tions.html

More than 4,000 children
contacted Childline in the past year because they were
lonely, new data shows.
http://bbc.com/news/uk-39580234

The death of Childhood
http://huffingtonpost.co.uk/emily-bucha ... 81893.html