It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Announcement: The Vigilant Forums have been reopened! Please see here for further information.

You know I had to do it: The Official Flat Earth thread

General all purpose critical analysis and discussions on the world around us.
  • Author

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 104

Re: You know I had to do it: The Official Flat Earth thread

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 am

Because I'd like to understand why others think it makes a difference or why this movement won't die and it boggles my mind how it gained any momentum in the first place. I figured the flat earth claims would be proof that Eric Dubay is either insane or a shill.

Then again, I guess Alec Jones is still going strong meanwhile plenty of people know he can't be trusted. And I suppose plenty of people find reptilians a laughable subject.

Mostly, though, I think this pre-Columbus regurgitation is an obvious ploy to create division within the truth community while simultaneously making truthers look less than credible and I wish more people would recognize it as such.

I agree with you about the movie and music threads. To be fair, the movie thread was posted by a moron with absolutely no interest or understanding of the CT community.
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

KoncreteMind

1 star

• Thanks Received: 83

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:Because I'd like to understand why others think it makes a difference or why this movement won't die and it boggles my mind how it gained any momentum in the first place. I figured the flat earth claims would be proof that Eric Dubay is either insane or a shill

I think you've made it clear that you do NOT want to discuss the subject and have no interest in broaching it. Which is 100% fine because every topic isnt interesting to every person. But when you say the things like this then why not do it? Whats so "insane" about hearing NASA say their pictures are all CGI "because they have to be" and questioning them based on that? Whats so "insane" about hearing NASA they "lost" 700 reels of the moon landing. and questioning if we have ever been there? Whats so "insane" about hearing an explorer say there is land BEYOND Antarctica, and questioning the world view we have been given? Whats so "insane" about reading about a scientist named August Piccard who is said to have reached the stratosphere saying he saw the earth as a flat disc with upturned edges? Whats so insane about seeing a guy named Mike Degruy tell a story of him reaching an underwater lake, under the ocean, that he was not able to descend into (firmament separating water from water)?

And lastly and probably most importantly, whats so "insane" about walking outside and viewing the world as you experience it (flat stable with sun/moon moving above it)? I might have missed some things but thats kind of a recap of what was going on in this thread, and what causes "flat earthers" to question what they've been given. Again, if you dont want to broach these subjects (going by this thread, you wouldnt be alone in that regard) then why even enter the thread in the first place and act as if theres no reason to question the world we've been given?

Then again, I guess Alec Jones is still going strong meanwhile plenty of people know he can't be trusted. And I suppose plenty of people find reptilians a laughable subject.

Mostly, though, I think this pre-Columbus regurgitation is an obvious ploy to create division within the truth community while simultaneously making truthers look less than credible and I wish more people would recognize it as such.

I agree with you about the movie and music threads. To be fair, the movie thread was posted by a moron with absolutely no interest or understanding of the CT community.

I mean I dont think the music/movie threads really matter in the grand scheme of things/life, but at the end of the day, whats wrong with them detailing what interests THEM even if it doesnt particularly interest me? That was my point. Instead of me entering a thread that doesnt interest me, and questioning why it interests other people, I leave it alone and try to find (or create) threads that interest me. Yea, Im like the only one that these things interest on the board, but I'll be that one "weirdo" who doesnt put a cap on what "official story" Im willing to question/investigate. Maybe someone reading will learn from what I posted, or learn something that can debunk what I posted. Im good with either, because I want the end goal for me to be truth. So anybody that can tackle those things above, and get me to that end goal one way or the other, Im cool with.

The problem with the "its a ploy" angle, is that usually the people using it either do not know about the things I posted above, or they cannot explain the things I posted above. You dont seem to want to tackle these things, but maybe someone else will be able to because I havent seen it yet. Hopefully this doesnt read off like Im mad or bothered, because Im not. Kind of a "just sayin" rant..

Illusion

1 star

• Thanks Received: 63

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah with edge-of-space flights available now (of which I have been on) I do not understand, other than the price of it, how people can still think that the Earth is flat. I've been on a MiG edge-of-space flight in the Ukraine a couple years ago and seen the curvature of the Earth with my own two eyes. But I guess my eyes were just deceiving me?

Or I am just one of the millions of disinfo agents that these crazy flat-Earth conspiracy theorists claim are all over?

Come on, in this day and age it is simply detrimental to the advance of the human race and the pursuit of knowledge to think something as ridiculous as the Earth being flat. I personally think some people just want to disagree with others to sound like they are uber-intelligent and know everything; either that or conspiracy theories are just fun to believe in!

KoncreteMind

1 star

• Thanks Received: 83

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:38 am

Illusion wrote:Yeah with edge-of-space flights available now (of which I have been on) I do not understand, other than the price of it, how people can still think that the Earth is flat. I've been on a MiG edge-of-space flight in the Ukraine a couple years ago and seen the curvature of the Earth with my own two eyes. But I guess my eyes were just deceiving me?

Or I am just one of the millions of disinfo agents that these crazy flat-Earth conspiracy theorists claim are all over?

Come on, in this day and age it is simply detrimental to the advance of the human race and the pursuit of knowledge to think something as ridiculous as the Earth being flat. I personally think some people just want to disagree with others to sound like they are uber-intelligent and know everything; either that or conspiracy theories are just fun to believe in!

As has been said all thread, if there is a curve to be seen at any height, where are the pics? Not the CGI ones NASA gives out, but the real pics? Where they at though? You went on a space flight, and saw that the earth was curved, so can you do what no one else did and provide one pic of it thats not CGI or because of fish eyed lens?

So yea, you could be disinfo because of bolded. That or brainwashed. Or you could even be right in what you believe. But this thread as exemplified that your side doesnt have any proof of their beliefs. It just comes down to "I trust these guys who say these things" which is hardly proof to me. But I like to think/observe/see for myself and not let others do it for me. Most people? Not so much...

Loki

Trickster God

Administrator

4 stars

• Thanks Received: 833

PostMon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Wish I could post this at the VCF, but perhaps someone here will see it and post it there for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments ... e_balloon/

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments ... n/dh9sjii/

Second link takes you to a comment of the person who did the tracking and their website.
This message brought to you by My Brain, courtesy of My Fingers.

"We all are to some extent [agnostic]... So yes, I'm an 'agnostic', in as much as I don't actually know what happens when I die. I choose to operate under the assumption that God does not exist. I have no need for God in my life, the concept of a 'God' feels incredibly made up to me. It is not requisite for my every day living. For some people it is. They are 'theistic agnostics,' I am an 'atheistic agnostic.'" - Cara Santa Maria
Previous

Return to General