It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The Era of the Child

General all purpose critical analysis and discussions on the world around us.
  • Author

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

The Era of the Child

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 am

Alexis de Tocqueville, a French historian and political thinker observed in his book- Democracy in America (1835)
I therefore believe that
the kind of oppression that
threatens democratic
peoples is unlike any the
world has seen before. Our
contemporaries will find no image of it in their
memories. I search in vain
for an expression that
exactly reproduces my idea
of it and captures it fully.
The old words “despotism” and “tyranny” will not do.
The thing is new, hence I
must try to define it, since
I cannot give it a name. I am trying to imagine
what new features
despotism might have in
today’s world: I see an
innumerable host of men,
all alike and equal, endlessly hastening after
petty and vulgar pleasures
with which they fill their
souls. Each of them,
withdrawn into himself, is
virtually a stranger to the fate of all the others. For
him, his children and
personal friends comprise
the entire human race. As
for the remainder of his
fellow citizens, he lives alongside them but does
not see them. He touches
them but does not feel
them. He exists only in
himself and for himself,
and if he still has a family, he no longer has a country. Over these men stands an
immense tutelary power,
which assumes sole
responsibility for securing
their pleasure and
watching over their fate.
It is absolute, meticulous,
regular, provident, and
mild. It would resemble
paternal authority if only
its purpose were the same,
namely, to prepare men for manhood. But on the
contrary, it seeks only to
keep them in childhood
irrevocably. It likes citizens
to rejoice, provided they
think only of rejoicing. It works willingly for their
happiness. It provides for
their security, foresees and
takes care of their needs,
facilitates their pleasures,
manages their most important affairs, directs
their industry, regulates
their successions, and
divides their inheritances.
Why not relieve them
entirely of the trouble of thinking and the difficulty
of living? Every day it thus makes man’s use of his free will rarer and more futile. It
circumscribes the action of
the will more narrowly,
and little by little robs each citizen of the use of his
own faculties

The last sentences are exactly what i thought of when i read this:
At the recent CES 2017 expo
event in Las Vegas, the Korean tech giant announced the “InstaView” fridge as the latest in cutting-edge food storage for the modern world. Equipped with a 29-inch, high-definition (HD) touchscreen display on the door, the InstaView fridge is basically a computer-slash-robot that can create shopping lists,
check the weather and even set cooking timers.
it can even send text message
notifications to users’ smartphones informing them of what needs to be purchased from the store. Don’t feel like opening the door of the InstaView fridge to see what’s inside? No worries. The interior cameras can take a live scan and show you right on the HD display what’s there, a feature that LG claims prevents energy from being wasted —
even though the camera and
display both require energy to perform this function. The
InstaView fridge also has its own built-in operating system that a family can use to leave each other notes or instructions, all of which the fridge itself uses to “learn” and customize features over time. “Our Smart InstaView Door-in-Door refrigerator will allow users to enjoy their kitchen experience like never before,”
announced Song Dae-Hyun, LG’s head of home appliances, before an eager tech crowd in Vegas.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01 ... hing-else/

http://naturalnews.com/2017-01-12-invas ... u-eat.html

We truly are living in some sort of 'era of the child'. Where everything is done for us. We are willingly choosing incapacitation.
This E.X.C.E.L.L.E.N.T investigative piece by Nafeez Ahmed on the history of Google (not your average Wikipedia entry) ties in well with the above.
https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence ... .16cwbxue7
It was a massive eye-opener for me and sitting down to read pieces like that one always feels like......
I just love that kind of work. I have to warn you that its quite long but very worth your time (for those who haven't read it anyway). Because of it, i was finally able to understand why it was 'natural' for Regina Dugan (former head of DARPA-Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), after her term expired, to go work for Google.

Creeper

1.5 stars

Re: The Era of the Child

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am

I'm not really sure what to say in response to the OP, there is some good information there and I like the thread title.

I only really wanted to post this video and I wasn't too sure where I should post it. I don't actually find these collegehumor guys all that funny (probably because I'm not American), they are not exactly informative either, I don't really want to advertise for them. I find their little rhyme to be a little childish, which is one way to keep this post slightly on topic I guess, but I think the message they put out in this particular video is 100% on point. Which is why I'm posting it.

phpBB [video]

I hope you enjoyed the video, have a nice day everyone.
A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm

I don't usually find those College Humour folks funny, either. Although the trailer they made for a grown-up Dora was pretty funny....it's also a few years old.

Tbh I didn't watch the clip you shared. The thumbnail looks too much like some mind-numbing bs from Disney Junior that I wouldn't let my 3 year old watch.

I skimmed through Karly's post as its long and I'm distracted yet bored. But I do agree that each generation seems to be more and more immature while lacking any sense of responsibility. Many of us who are more adult-like are still fairly childish; I'm noticing it even in my dad and he's 65+ (I'm a bad daughter and don't know his exact age.) It's just more pronounced, or less hidden, with each younger generation. Still, there's 50 year olds having to revert back to moving in with family members after a bad breakup or job loss. It's kinda difficult to feel like an adult when your circumstances don't allow you to live as an adult. (Though part of me wants my mom to move in with me briefly; partly for free childcare but mostly so I can say "As long as your under my roof you'll live by my rules!")

Anyways; those are my addled early morning/little sleep thoughts for the moment. I'm not sure if any of it makes sense.
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Creeper

1.5 stars

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 pm

The funny thing is, while I definitely think that people are only getting worse as time goes on (and they are breeding as well), people have always thought that the younger generation is worse than the one that preceded it. Humanity is just on a constant downward spiral.

"Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt." Horace, book III of Odes. 20BC
A fool thinks himself to be wise,
a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 am

Each generation thinks that because it's true. How many of us are capable of being self-sustaining? How many of us could truly live like the Amish and pioneers? In many ways, I'm sure a lot of us here have considered going Amish, but realistically very few of us could actually do it. Going Mennonite, yeah we could probably do.

Regardless; it's evident that Gen X (and maybe Y? Who's Gen Y?) were the last who use and appreciate Common Sense, Common Courtesy, and Common Knowledge. We grew up with it and practiced it from a young age. Sure, there were still dicks, but there was still an overall basic understanding and respect. Most bullies drew the line somewhere. Today's youth are quick to sell eachother out for a couple bucks. They'll even steal a pack of smokes from under their friends pillow. At least people from our generations would leave it at maybe stealing a smoke or 2 from a friends pack if it was left out in the open. Our parents generation were disciplined both at school and by the teachers. Our grandparents knew how to do all the practical things that so few of us today know. Like wtf is "darning socks"? I'm probably going to need to know this skill when the next depression kicks in. Our ancestors were all far more capable people than the majority of us today.

That being said, in some areas our generations have improved. Racism still exists, but black people can now choose whether or not they want to be at the back of the bus. Women are equal. It's okay to be gay or trans. At least in overall societies eyes. Though with this pre-mediated Trump card combined with the LGBT agendas and seeing how equality has largely backfired on us (destruction of family units, women no longer choosing to work but having to, etc) who knows where all this is going to go? (Oh, right. They're trying to push pedophilia as a sexual orientation that needs our sympathetic understanding. Ten years ago I'd have been offended by people saying the push on gay acceptance was a bridge to accepting pedos. But that's exactly what They're working on. It's just convenient that it adds to the depopulation agenda. Getting two birds stoned at once, y'know?)
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Thy Unveiling wrote:Our grandparents
knew how to do all the practical things that so few of us today know. Like wtf is "darning socks"? I'm probably going to need to know this skill when the next depression kicks in.

Much of today's technology is designed to make us lazy and/or child-like. It does everything for us and we become so dependent on it....maintaining some sort of child-parent relationship.

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Karlysymon wrote:Much of today's technology is designed to make us lazy and/or child-like. It does everything for us and we become so dependent on it....maintaining some sort of child-parent relationship.

I guess there is truth in this.

I wouldn't know what to do without a computer.. I guess I am addicted. I have had periods in my life where I was without internet for a month and I would feel starved of ideas after a week or two.

That while I can easily meditate an hour a day, spend an hour a day drawing, a few hours reading etc but nothing keeps me entertained as much as my computer does.

As for not having the skills our grandparents did, yes that is definitely true. I can't sew for the life of me, or tend a garden. I guess I would fail miserably if I had to survive on my own suddenly.
The only way out is in

Rainerann

1 star

• Thanks Received: 103

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Israfilhaque1230

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 0

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 1:13 pm

A lot of the present innovation is intended to make us apathetic as well as kid prefer. It does everything for us and we turn out to be so reliant on it....maintaining some kind of tyke parent relationship.

Return to General