It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:42 am

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The Draft.

General all purpose critical analysis and discussions on the world around us.
  • Author

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

The Draft.

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Sweden is to re-introduce military conscription starting next year. Around 4,000 young Swedes,
18-year-olds of both sexes, are expected to be called for
mandatory military service each year.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/afp-swede ... ?r=US&IR=T
Lithuania (set to be approved by parliament) and Ukraine (2014) are on the same track. I've never imagined myself as a military conscript until now. Wierd. I guess the whole spectre or war will become all too real. Anyone here who has been to bootcamp?
John McCain has been arguing for it for years. I don't know how well that will work out because in 2010:
A group of retired military
officials recently expressed
concern that school lunches are a threat to national security.
According to them, the food
being fed to children at public schools is making them "too fat to fight", leaving a potentially considerable gap in military recruitment.

Thy Unveiling

Creeper's Creeper

1 star

• Thanks Received: 123

Re: The Draft.

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Ffs. I knew it was only a matter of time before this started happening. Didn't think Swedes would be the first hit, and I thought WW3 would have been officially declared first. *sigh* dammit!
"It's this house that's gone mad! I'm as sane as can be!" ~ICP; Madhouse

Taragaia

Awake

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 273

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 pm

I never understood how learning to kill people can instill positive values that are valuable to society into people.

I mean sure you have a need for teamwork in the army, but you can learn teamwork from playing soccer too. Or something like that. If a draft should be installed, let people work in healthcare or some kind of humanitarian cause where they cease other's suffering instead of promote it through violence.

The draft is one of the many reasons why I distrust the government, drafted people are basically the cannon fodder of the army and the nonsense reasons to draft people only show the incredible hypocrisy that drives society.

'Killing is bad unless we say it's good'' - The government everywhere
The only way out is in

Karlysymon

1.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 282

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Those countries are re-introducing it supposedly because of Russian aggression. Let's take a little trip......
Some of the under-18s conscripted to fight in WW1 (except for the guy with the tauche). Some 250,000 ''served their country'', many never making it ou alive. In this case, the draft was instituted 2yrs before the war ended.

ByronRud

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 1

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 am

Thy Unveiling wrote:Ffs. I knew it was only a matter of time before this started happening. Didn't think Swedes would be the first hit, and I thought WW3 would have been officially declared first. *sigh* dammit!

Yeah I'm surprised it was Sweden.

Creep

Weirdo

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 5

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 am

I'm surprised WW3 hasn't been officially declared yet.
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here...

Israfilhaque1230

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 0

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 1:57 pm

I knew it wouldn't have been long until this began happening. Didn't figure Swedes would be the main hit, and I figured WW3 would have been authoritatively announced first. *sigh* damn it!

Return to General