It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Announcement: Registrations are currently disabled. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Health Food stores.

Environmental issues, staying in optimal health and avoiding poisons in everyday foods.
  • Author

jashutson13

Funnyfarm escapee

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 145

Health Food stores.

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Today was my first time visiting a health food store. While I noticed the prices seem to be a little higher then usual most of the products seemed pretty good health wise. Does anybody here generally shop at a health food store and know that there products aren't full of the same crap the regular supermarkets are. So any opinions are appreciated.
    Loki: Well when a man loves another man....

peppermint

0 stars

• Thanks Received: 3

Re: Health Food stores.

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

You have to be just as careful at health food stores as conventional supermarkets. Whole Foods just got in big trouble over claiming all their food non-GMO, when they actually were selling GMO. Don't give stock to labels that say "natural", as that doesn't really mean anything. Look for "organic", "local", and "grass-fed". If you can, buy from local farmers markets to support your community and get fresh clean food. Or even start a backyard garden.

jashutson13

Funnyfarm escapee

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 145

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 pm

I thought that might be the case. Thanks for responding.
    Loki: Well when a man loves another man....

B.Moshay

Revolutionary

3 stars

• Thanks Received: 403

PostMon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Your best bet is to shop as locally as possible. Do some Internet searching because a lot of the best places are small hidden places that don't get much advertising.
It's a bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks
http://instagram.com/bonafide_reality

Nikki

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 7

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

There's this chain of health food shops called Holland&Barrett's (I think that's how you spell it), and whenever you go in you see stacks and shelves of protein powder, and everyone inside is fit as hell.
So I trust them!
Freedom is choice.

The system isn't broken. It was built this way.

azazel

layaamani

0.5 stars

• Thanks Received: 16

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Nikki wrote:There's this chain of health food shops called Holland&Barrett's (I think that's how you spell it), and whenever you go in you see stacks and shelves of protein powder, and everyone inside is fit as hell.
So I trust them!

I go to Holland and Barrett quite a lot. I've been buying Multi-Vitamins from there for ages, and recently started buying 5-HTP supplements.
Seems like good quality stuff, but everything is way over priced.

I bought a jar of pure coconut oil from there for £16.50. A few weeks later I saw a different brand of pure coconut oil in my local supermarket, same amount in the jar, except it was only £1.69!

I bought the cheap jar to compare, there was no discernible difference. :eh:

:think:
ησω уσυ'яє σσкιηg ƒσя тнє ѕє¢яєт. вυт уσυ ωση'т ƒιη ιт вє¢αυѕє σƒ ¢συяѕє, уσυ'яє ησт яєαу σσкιηg. уσυ ση'т яєαу ωαηт тσ ωσяк ιт συт. уσυ ωαηт тσ вє ƒσσє.

- тнє ρяєѕтιgє

Nikki

0.5 stars

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm

layaamani wrote:
Nikki wrote:There's this chain of health food shops called Holland&Barrett's (I think that's how you spell it), and whenever you go in you see stacks and shelves of protein powder, and everyone inside is fit as hell.
So I trust them!

I go to Holland and Barrett quite a lot. I've been buying Multi-Vitamins from there for ages, and recently started buying 5-HTP supplements.
Seems like good quality stuff, but everything is way over priced.

I bought a jar of pure coconut oil from there for £16.50. A few weeks later I saw a different brand of pure coconut oil in my local supermarket, same amount in the jar, except it was only £1.69!

I bought the cheap jar to compare, there was no discernible difference. :eh:

:think:

Yeah, the stuff there is really expensive. My mum once won a basket of a bunch of their stuff in a raffle at work, and it was pretty cool since if were to buy it it would have been way over $200.

Just a jar of honey costs £20!
Freedom is choice.

gcha8e

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 82

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 am

Yes, we shop mostly at the local health food store. Things do cost more, but the good part is that you can eat less and be equally satisified. This is actually proven by scientific study. I don't need to stuff my face with junk food any more. Artificial flavorings cause your apetite to increase. This too is proven.

Anyway, yeah, you got to read the labels on all food, the shorter the list of ingredients the better. Eat organic, eat fresh, don't eat preservatives. Your cells will slowly malfunction if you don't and you will get chronic disease which doctors will tell you there is no cure for. You'll go on drugs... you'll get depressed, you die a slow painful death....

oh... getting carried away.

Costco is a good place, they have a lot of great food there. Check it out.

Eat organic, don't eat anything made or modified by Monsanto. I'm serious.
I always thought that the measure of a man was learning how to take responsibility for himself and his actions. When did the act of fellatio become the decider?
- - TheFallenAlchemist

The world has lost the power to blush over its vice; the Church has lost her power to weep over it.
- - Leonard Ravenhill

Nikki

0.5 stars

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 am

gcha8e wrote:Yes, we shop mostly at the local health food store. Things do cost more, but the good part is that you can eat less and be equally satisified. This is actually proven by scientific study. I don't need to stuff my face with junk food any more. Artificial flavorings cause your apetite to increase. This too is proven.

Anyway, yeah, you got to read the labels on all food, the shorter the list of ingredients the better. Eat organic, eat fresh, don't eat preservatives. Your cells will slowly malfunction if you don't and you will get chronic disease which doctors will tell you there is no cure for. You'll go on drugs... you'll get depressed, you die a slow painful death....

oh... getting carried away.

Costco is a good place, they have a lot of great food there. Check it out.

Eat organic, don't eat anything made or modified by Monsanto. I'm serious.

Yeah, it all evens out. Say for example you eat a lot of cheap junk food. If every piece of junk of ate was $2 and you ate 10 per day:
$2 x 10 = $20
$20 x 365 = $7300 per year

But then a healthy person's diet had every item costing $4, and they eat 5 per day:

$4 x 5 = $20
$20 x 365 = $7300

Same thing...it can be even less. So all those people making excuses that they're too poor to be fit...nah.
Freedom is choice.

gcha8e

2 stars

• Thanks Received: 82

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I wish I could say I was clever enough to see through the advertising and make the right decision, but the sad fact is that only horrible allergies in the family and other health problems forced us to look at what we were eating as a solution, that and the abject failure of the medical diagnosis and treatment we were given at the time.

Sadly, this took a few years because all the medical doctors we knew and visited said there was no link to our food and health. In fact, they prescribed bad foods. It blows my mind today, but now I have to watch other people's kids suffer from chronic ear infections, flus, colds, hyperactivity, etc.... and there is nothing I can do because the parents are doing what every good parent does..... medicating their kids with narcotics and poisons.
I always thought that the measure of a man was learning how to take responsibility for himself and his actions. When did the act of fellatio become the decider?
- - TheFallenAlchemist

The world has lost the power to blush over its vice; the Church has lost her power to weep over it.
- - Leonard Ravenhill
Next

Return to Health and Nature